Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Guest Bob Mahelp
43 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s funny how any time there’s sign of a “hard left” influence in a Labour constituency party its big news yet the UKIPisation of the Tory Party is happening under our noses and there’s barely a mention of it.

I think that it's fairly common knowledge these days that the Tories and UKIP are interchangeable, especially at the level of grassroots support.

The hard right newspapers such as The Express, Mail, Sun etc have long been championing the deselection of more moderate Conservative MP's.  You're hardly likely to see them writing articles criticising the fact that Tory constituency parties are full of blinkered bigots.

18 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

It seems strange to me that we will probably have to organise a European election for May (the month, not the thundercunt) but we were told it would be impossible to organise a new referendum before June.

Macron is the leader to watch as he appears to  be the most likely to tip things over into a No Deal, if some viable referendum pathway to a soft Brexit or staying in the EU doesn't emerge next week.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Be interesting to see which 3 indicative votes are potentially chosen for tomorrow..presumably going on numbers it has to be Clarkes' May's deal+CU', 2nd Ref (confirmatory on a deal), and Lab's CU,.....chances probably are that the result will be 'No, No and No'........next up Wednesday/Thursday? MV 3 (or 4)....narrower defeat but still defeat again, so GE after that- dependent on the EU agreeing to a long extension.

On the 2nd Ref issue, the problem is indeed that even if Remain won, it would rumble on from the Brexiteers for round 3. We would stay in for the time being, but there would probably end up being another Ref after the next election.

In the result of the GE can still see a minority Tory govt, propped up by the Lib Dems this time.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but this totally defies logic.

Yeah.  The last time they tried that, it damn near destroyed the Liberal Democrat party.  I doubt they'll be doing that again, any time soon, let alone supporting this current Tory shambles.  Another election would result in Italian style instability, I reckon.  

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yeah.  The last time they tried that, it damn near destroyed the Liberal Democrat party.  I doubt they'll be doing that again, any time soon, let alone supporting this current Tory shambles.  Another election would result in Italian style instability, I reckon.  

I was going to add that almost word-for-word to my post.

I won’t turn my nose up at an election but a second referendum would produce a clearer, more definitive position.

47 minutes ago, Jedi said:

On the 2nd Ref issue, the problem is indeed that even if Remain won, it would rumble on from the Brexiteers for round 3. We would stay in for the time being, but there would probably end up being another Ref after the next election.

I don't see this as a problem at all. Brexiters would surely respect the will of the people. 

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Emily Thornberry more or less ruled out freedom of movement on the John Pienaar show on 5live. Not sure how they can get a Customs Union closely aligned with the Single Market in that case.

Some other Labour front bencher will probably contradict that in the next 24 hours.

If a GE is called all Labour need to do is promise unequivocally that there will be a second referendum.  If they do they will win more seats than the Tories.

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Emily Thornberry more or less ruled out freedom of movement on the John Pienaar show on 5live. Not sure how they can get a Customs Union closely aligned with the Single Market in that case.

It's utterly bizarre.  Freedom of movement is probably the best thing about EU membership, even on the most superficial level of being able to jump on the EasyJet to Magaluf at the drop of a hat..   Let's call it for what it is, this is all about cutting immigration.

It's utterly bizarre.  Freedom of movement is probably the best thing about EU membership, even on the most superficial level of being able to jump on the EasyJet to Magaluf at the drop of a hat..   Let's call it for what it is, this is all about cutting immigration.

Has there ever been a case of the tail wagging the dog with FoM?  

Even in 2016 I doubt there was a majority against it because a large chuck of Leavers and almost every Remainer would have supported it if it meant access to the SM or a Norway style deal.

The fucking racists are winning without their argument being challenged - Labour in particular have been a damn disgrace on the issue.

45 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The daft thing is there are legal tools to control EU immigration but the Government didn't bother because they didn't see a problem. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/06/free-movement-isnt-free-truth-about-eu-immigration

There are other rules being introduced that forbid employers paying less than the going rate to EU migrants, I doubt Rees Mogg will be keen on that bit.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but this totally defies logic.

The same Lib Dems who in 2010 said the red line they would never cross was student tuition fees...days later, into coalition with the Tories for ministerial seats and limos and.....tuition fees it is. I agree that the last time they did this it nearly destroyed them therefore why would they jump in that direction again, but........If a minority Tory govt offered the possibility of a 2nd Ref (in terms of it being an 'option') for a coalition deal do you really think the Libs would turn it down? Read an interesting work about the so called 'Orange Bookers' in the Lib Dems..Clegg, Danny Alexander et al who essentially moved the party in a more Tory direction in the mid 00s. There is still a fair influence for albeit a rump of party now for this. They would be more Tory than Lab govt alligned.

What makes my prediction unlikely to happen I think, is lack of Lib seats after a GE, not their unwillingness to do a deal with the Tories imo.

Also, you can guarantee that a Lib Dem campaign would be based on two policies....'Vote Lib Dem to get a 2nd EU Ref, and Vote Lib Dem to prevent a 2nd Scottish Ref ever happening'.

Edited by Jedi

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The same Lib Dems who in 2010 said the red line they would never cross was student tuition fees...days later, into coalition with the Tories for ministerial seats and limos and.....tuition fees it is. I agree that the last time they did this it nearly destroyed them therefore why would they jump in that direction again, but........If a minority Tory govt offered the possibility of a 2nd Ref (in terms of it being an 'option') for a coalition deal do you really think the Libs would turn it down? Read an interesting work about the so called 'Orange Bookers' in the Lib Dems..Clegg, Danny Alexander et al who essentially moved the party in a more Tory direction in the mid 00s. There is still a fair influence for albeit a rump of party now for this. They would be more Tory than Lab govt alligned.

What makes my prediction unlikely to happen I think, is lack of Lib seats after a GE, not their unwillingness to do a deal with the Tories imo.

The Tories will be running on Brexit if it hasn't already happened. There is zero chance of the Lib Dems helping them with that.