Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Brexit vote passed.Murray votes against it,Mundell votes for it,great to see the secretary of state for scotland standing up for scotland again (the p***k)

Mundell would have had to resign as Scottish Secretary if he had voted against Bill.

With Labour voting on three line whip for the Bill, why should Mundell resign just to appease the SNP p***ks who hate him anyway?

23 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Mundell would have had to resign as Scottish Secretary if he had voted against Bill.

With Labour voting on three line whip for the Bill, why should Mundell resign just to appease the SNP p***ks who hate him anyway?

I realise its a big shout for the UK govts own man in Scotland, but Scotland is clearly very pro EU and he could follow his principles.

https://www.davidmundell.com/news/david-mundell-case-scotland-european-union

Then again that assumes he has any.

Edited by git-intae-thum

1 minute ago, git-intae-thum said:

I realise its a big shout for the UK govts own man in Scotland, but Scotland is clearly very pro EU and he could follow his principles.

https://www.davidmundell.com/news/david-mundell-case-scotland-european-union

Then again that assumes he has any.

2 in 5 Scots (and 2 in 5 SNP voters) voted for Brexit. They should have someone to vote in Parliament on their behalf. 

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

2 in 5 Scots (and 2 in 5 SNP voters) voted for Brexit. They should have someone to vote in Parliament on their behalf. 

Don't disagree with you that Brexiteers deserve a voice, but it is undeniably a minority voice in Scotland.

However, given Mundell's previous strong support for the EU, he is not the individual to give that voice.

Obviously cabinet government is by the collective, but some events are worth falling on the sword for and Brexit is certainly one of those issues.The previous PM and FM certainly felt so after referendum losses.

I don't see how he can be seen as anything other than hypocritical. He comes across as a spineless wee nyaff who is just daeing wit he is telt.

58 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Brexit vote passed.Murray votes against it,Mundell votes for it,great to see the secretary of state for scotland standing up for scotland again (the p***k)

I would have thought Eilidh Whiteford would have voted for Brexit as well, seeing as a majority of her constituents did .... Did she not stand up for her constituents then?

Maybe she's a spineless nyaff just  daeing whit she's telt!

Edited by McSpreader

I would have thought Eilidh Whiteford would have voted for Brexit as well, seeing as a majority of her constituents did .... Did she not stand up for her constituents then?

The first post doesn't mention constituents though. He's supposed to be our representative in the government, no?

10 minutes ago, mjw said:

The first post doesn't mention constituents though. He's supposed to be our representative in the government, no?

Mundell was elected on the Conservative manifesto. It promised a referendum on EU membership and that the result would be respected. He voted in accordance with those promises. 

13 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Eilidh Whiteford has as far as I am aware never hidden her pro EU stance from her constituents. Further she does not hold the position of secretary of state for Scotland.

Mundell was elected on a partly pro EU position. Albeit with his party promising a referendum. He himself expressed strong support for the EU.

He lost the referendum.

Yet he now supports Brexit!!!! 

If he had principle he would fall on his sword. 

Mundell is clearly just a yes man and his position is indefensible. 

11 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Eilidh Whiteford has as far as I am aware never hidden her pro EU stance from her constituents. Further she does not hold the position of secretary of state for Scotland.

Mundell was elected on a partly pro EU position. Albeit with his party promising a referendum. He himself expressed strong support for the EU.

He lost the referendum.

Yet he now supports Brexit!!!! 

If he had principle he would fall on his sword. 

Mundell is clearly just a yes man and his position is indefensible. 

I agree re: Mundell  being a yes man but the referendum was for the electorate to declare their position and the MPs' personal position should surely be of secondary importance. Luckily for the SNP only one constituency MP is in the position of misrepresenting the majority of her constituents. For the other parties it is a serious crisis and I am looking forward to he next GE to see how the electorate judge them.

Edited by McSpreader

36 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Can you clarify, McSpreader - are these actual voting figures or an estimate of the vote in Banff & Buchan based upon desktop reaearch at the University of East Anglia and originally reported by the Daily Express?

As far as I recall, the referendum result was announced by local authority area. Aberdeenshire voted remain.