Queens vs. Morton; 15th October (1st v 6th)

I don't think that either of you know what "average" means in this context tbh. Failing to win any of the first five games, followed by four wins in the last five in all competitions (and several league cup swordings en route to a national semi-final) is not the mark of an 'average' team. An 'average' team would typically beat the shite teams and lose to those supposedly better than them; that hasn't been the case though.

It is either a wildly inconsistent team, or one that initially struggled to integrate new players into the first team (several of which were signed in July/August) and is now beginning to gel.

No, a predictable side would lose to those better and beat the shite. Complete the following sentence,

"Morton lost to a team above them in the league, that's so....... "

An average team is one that isn't particularly good or bad compared to its competitors. That describes Morton pretty well, and quite possibly Queens come the end of the season. It's not a bad thing.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

No, a predictable side would lose to those better and beat the shite. 

A side would predictably do so precisely because it is 'average'. No such predictions can be confidently made about Morton's results so far this season: that is down to either inconsistency or a marked change in performance levels over time. 

An average team is one that isn't particularly good or bad compared to its competitors. That describes Morton pretty well, and quite possibly Queens come the end of the season. It's not a bad thing.

Given that Morton just gave the side at the top of the league a 5-0 shoeing on their own midden, are on a run of four wins from their last five games and are in a national cup semi-final after beating a 'better' Championship side and two top flight sides to get there, that's not an credible description of the team's ability. It entirely remains to be seen where all the sides will end up at the end of the campaign.

It hasn't been forgotten however that this is simply an exercise in semantics from yourself: because you initially claimed that 'having watched Ross Forbes and Gary Oliver play before' made your assessment of the team that handed your arse to you on Saturday authoritative. It doesn't though. 

It's good to see that you're still hurting though.

1428418639-d2436d6c6a8200a35d65ab4efa46a31a-600x397.jpg

11 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

A side would predictably do so precisely because it is 'average'. No such predictions can be confidently made about Morton's results so far this season: that is down to either inconsistency or a marked change in performance levels over time. 

Given that Morton just gave the side at the top of the league a 5-0 shoeing on their own midden, are on a run of four wins from their last five games and are in a national cup semi-final after beating a 'better' Championship side and two top flight sides to get there, that's not an credible description of the team's ability. It entirely remains to be seen where all the sides will end up at the end of the campaign.

It hasn't been forgotten however that this is simply an exercise in semantics from yourself: because you initially claimed that 'having watched Ross Forbes and Gary Oliver play before' made your assessment of the team that handed your arse to you on Saturday authoritative. It doesn't though. 

It's good to see that you're still hurting though.

1428418639-d2436d6c6a8200a35d65ab4efa46a31a-600x397.jpg

At this point in time, Morton are an average Championship side. As Ive already said, being average doesnt preclude you from putting in better, or worse, performances - like when they lost to lower league sides in the diddy cup.

I'm obviously disappointed that Queens lost 5-0 and would be no matter who the opposition was. Im clearly not hurting anywhere near as much as you, though, and all because someone described your club as average.

I think you'll find that your tear-stained meltdown at the time, your flounce off the thread for 72 hours only to then return with your same set of laughable claims proves otherwise.

Much as the Morton team said to your rabble on Saturday: thanks for playing anyway. 

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png   

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

I think you'll find that your tear-stained meltdown at the time, your flounce off the thread for 72 hours only to then return with your same set of laughable claims proves otherwise.

Much as the Morton team said to your rabble on Saturday: thanks for playing anyway. 

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png   

lol wut

• 4 weeks later...

We made a bang average Morton side look like world beaters. Far too many basic mistakes, far too slow on and off the ball - to lose two goals from short corners when only one player went out to the ball is totally unacceptable.  The back four were awful but the problems started in midfield. Millar and Pickard were never in the game and playing a centre forward on the left wing finally caught up with us - the first 3 goals all come from the exact same area down the left.

As dissapointing as this result is, though, we've finished the first quarter second in the league and with Lyle, Jacobs and Carmichael all to come into the team at some point we'll be stronger for the rest of the season. Also, you'd have to think (pray!) that we cant play that badly again for a long time

So, how's that all working out for you now?

1478999073503.thumb.jpg.929466da747bf87a

19 hours ago, vikingTON said:

So, how's that all working out for you now?

Fine thanks.

The midfield has looked better since Jacobs returned. We've looked better up front since Lyle has come back, even though he isnt fully fit, and Carmichael hasnt started yet.

We missed Hammil when he was injured but he's back now too

Of course, now that Skelton has left the rest of the season could go either way depending on who the new manager is

Fine thanks.

The midfield has looked better since Jacobs returned. We've looked better up front since Lyle has come back, even though he isnt fully fit, and Carmichael hasnt started yet.

We missed Hammil when he was injured but he's back now too

Of course, now that Skelton has left the rest of the season could go either way depending on who the new manager is

Sure looks like it's getting better for you. Rooting for you down there champ.

Watching a team that has mustered a single goal in seven league games would provoke that response. It's only natural.

Queens are awful. To compound matters, the 2 no score draws that preceded the run of 5 straight defeats results in the one solitary league goal from Anderson vs. Dundee Utd being the only strike.

0-0 Hibs
0-0 Dumbarton
0-5 Morton
0-1 Ayr United
0-1 Raith Rovers
1-4 Dundee United
0-4 Hibs

6 hours ago, RUSTY1111 said:

Queens are awful. To compound matters, the 2 no score draws that preceded the run of 5 straight defeats results in the one solitary league goal from Anderson vs. Dundee Utd being the only strike.

0-0 Hibs
0-0 Dumbarton
0-5 Morton
0-1 Ayr United
0-1 Raith Rovers
1-4 Dundee United
0-4 Hibs

I've read this 3 times and still have no idea what your point is!

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

I've read this 3 times and still have no idea what your point is!

Why cannot you see my point?

I think the point is the team has collapsed from first to sixth, with the stated run of results as outlined above.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Word salad is a "confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases ;)

Well I disagree with that. I understood what I meant with the explanation. Not my problem if you cannot.

Archived