Dunfermline v Queens Park - Irn Bru

Shandon Par

Instead of clogging the general thread, thought this could merit its own thread. 

£10 adults

£5 concessions and special cases such as smpar

I was stunned to read Queens Park have ditched black and white this year in a Scotland-themed nod to the past. A welcome return to East End for Angus McPherson. Pars tend to bulldoze part timers but if Gus does any sort of homework on us he'll see we're not exactly invincible. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus seems to be able to get his teams organised for important games, as the play offs last year and games against Morton, Livi and Brechin this year will illustrate.  It would be good to progress further in this tournament ....but we need to get scoring, a thing we've struggled to do so far.

As for the attendance, I've already bemoaned the fact that Pars resisted QP's request to bring the game forward a bit to allow people to get to this one and to Hampden.  Sadly, a number of our fans with tickets for the Lithuania game have said that they won't be travelling.  Roadworks in the Central belt are a nightmare just now.

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I was stunned to read Queens Park have ditched black and white this year in a Scotland-themed nod to the past.

We're still using the hoops as our away top but given your colours would we not have to change anyway?

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Sadly, a number of our fans with tickets for the Lithuania game have said that they won't be travelling.  

Well I'm aiming to go to both games and I'm pretty confident we'll make it back in time. It would be nice if the game kicked off earlier but you can't blame Dunfermline and from what I hear the fans you mention would still be going to the pub in Glasgow at midday no matter what time our kick off was. That's up to them, I'd be doing the same if Queen's weren't playing.  No right or wrong choice on this occasion imo.

18 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

As for the attendance, I've already bemoaned the fact that Pars resisted QP's request to bring the game forward a bit to allow people to get to this one and to Hampden.  Sadly, a number of our fans with tickets for the Lithuania game have said that they won't be travelling.  Roadworks in the Central belt are a nightmare just now.

Club v country. Age old debate usually limited to players. The real culprit here is the SPFL who plugged this round into an international day on the premise that the clubs involved would never be supplying players for the evening game. Very difficult for any fans outwith the Greater Glasgow area who want to see their favourites play. Apart from the time commitment it's a very expensive day for those that go to both games. At least most QP fans have a short journey home from Hampden. Fans from Fife won't be home before midnight.

Delighted I'd only get in for a fiver, unfortunately I won't be there, but I doubt I'll miss much.

I can see an away win here, or a narrow home win if we do win. I think now would be a good chance for AJ to try something new, if he wants to fiddle about with formations and team selection then I'd rather be tried it for this game than risking it in a league game.

The fact our last home gate was hit by having a 5.15pm kick off probably made us less accommodating about shifting the time. 3pm means a bigger home crowd, even though it inconveniences those wanting to get to Hampden. Pars' highlights on YouTube are always good anyway if you can't make it along. 

Right, the most important topic - what are the best pubs to go to? Starting from relatively near the ground

Not been there since that midweek League Cup game 17 years ago and I cannot remember what fine alehouse we visited that evening 

There is nothing really near the ground although there is a bar inside the ground (well, two actually) which I'd imagine you would be welcome in. Since Queens normally wear black and white I'm sure you'd be fine with colours as well. In town there are loads of options depending on whether you're coming by bus, train or car (there is a thread on the Championship forum which has details) but while the Elizabethan is the closest to the away end, it's turned into a bar and kitchen rather than the pub it used to be so it might not be your thing.

On 05/10/2016 at 08:25, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Club v country. Age old debate usually limited to players. The real culprit here is the SPFL who plugged this round into an international day on the premise that the clubs involved would never be supplying players for the evening game. Very difficult for any fans outwith the Greater Glasgow area who want to see their favourites play. Apart from the time commitment it's a very expensive day for those that go to both games. At least most QP fans have a short journey home from Hampden. Fans from Fife won't be home before midnight.

Er, the whole premise of the Challenge Cup for several years is to play it on International weekends. It's nothing new to be doing so this weekend. The last round was an international weekend too, albeit Scotland were away and didn't play to the Sunday. You pays your money you takes your choice. It's really not difficult to do both games from Dunfermline at 3pm if you want to (presuming you have a car anyway). Pretty comfortable I could do it from Dumfries if we were playing on Saturday and I wanted to. It'll be no more expensive than if the Scotland game was the Friday or Sunday or the Challenge Cup one was. Indeed it will in fact be no more expensive than if it was a whole different week.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Er, the whole premise of the Challenge Cup for several years is to play it on International weekends. It's nothing new to be doing so this weekend. The last round was an international weekend too, albeit Scotland were away and didn't play to the Sunday. You pays your money you takes your choice. It's really not difficult to do both games from Dunfermline at 3pm if you want to (presuming you have a car anyway). Pretty comfortable I could do it from Dumfries if we were playing on Saturday and I wanted to. It'll be no more expensive than if the Scotland game was the Friday or Sunday or the Challenge Cup one was. Indeed it will in fact be no more expensive than if it was a whole different week.

Whatever. But you have to agree the real culprit is the SPFL. Generally.

Who are your team playing anyway?

22 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

There is nothing really near the ground although there is a bar inside the ground (well, two actually) which I'd imagine you would be welcome in. Since Queens normally wear black and white I'm sure you'd be fine with colours as well. In town there are loads of options depending on whether you're coming by bus, train or car (there is a thread on the Championship forum which has details) but while the Elizabethan is the closest to the away end, it's turned into a bar and kitchen rather than the pub it used to be so it might not be your thing.

Thanks. Been told we're welcome in the bar in the ground so will probably end up there at some point. Supporters' bus not leaving the Mount until 1215

Miserable stuff so far. Two important and remarkably clean interventions from Talbot to keep it 0-0. All too slow from Pars, giving QP all the time they need to get players back. Terrible pie too. Things can only get better. 

Archived