What you get from the chippy.

Romeo

Don't have a decent Chip Shop up here, so if I'm desperate it'll be the standard Smoked Sausage Super, salt 'n' vinegar and a can of Irn Bru

However there is a great chipper on the Isle of Man which I get to at least once when over for the TT races, get a fantastic Fish Supper with Mushy Peas there.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Glasgow vs Edinburgh debate I've lived in both and can't say either have impressed me.

Best in Glasgow is the Grove, in Finnieston, largely because they cook all their fish and chips fresh and it makes a huge difference. Worst is Philidelphia on Great Western Road, purely because the one time I went in I asked for haddock, they refused to give me it as they had cod sitting under the heater. Terrible service, never returned.

As for Edinburgh there is one in Leith that I thought was pretty good, but for the life of me I can't remember its name. The rest are fairly average but none have overly impressed me.

For Aberdeen the Ashvale is a good bet, but it's searching the surrounding areas that unearths the real gems. The Bervie Chipper is good, but better lies just to the South of Inverbervie, in Gourdon. Best fish and chips I've ever had. Phenomenal chipper.

12 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

On the Glasgow vs Edinburgh debate I've lived in both and can't say either have impressed me.

Best in Glasgow is the Grove, in Finnieston, largely because they cook all their fish and chips fresh and it makes a huge difference. Worst is Philidelphia on Great Western Road, purely because the one time I went in I asked for haddock, they refused to give me it as they had cod sitting under the heater. Terrible service, never returned.

As for Edinburgh there is one in Leith that I thought was pretty good, but for the life of me I can't remember its name. The rest are fairly average but none have overly impressed me.

For Aberdeen the Ashvale is a good bet, but it's searching the surrounding areas that unearths the real gems. The Bervie Chipper is good, but better lies just to the South of Inverbervie, in Gourdon. Best fish and chips I've ever had. Phenomenal chipper.

Agreed, the Bervie chipper used to be magnificent in its prime but has gone downhill recently. Horatio Hornblowers in Gourdon has taken on the mantle. Blows any chipper in Glasgow or Edinburgh out of the water.

What I get from the chipper (stopped calling it chippy when I stopped referring to my mum as 'mummy'):

If at one of the east coast's numerous premier chip shops, haddock supper with large pickled onion (or two of the interior wee ones)

Usually spicy haggis the rest of the time, although started going for the classic sausage supper more . We get the one large sausage rather than the two wee ones (although granted the latter has more sausage for your money). Always used to be one large sausage in Fife (where I used to stay), although I've since noticed more and more places going for the fat b*****d double option. Coincided with the eastwards introduction of the munchie box I think.

What is a chipper?

A place where somebody who traditionally chipped up tatties (ie. a chipper), fried up the resultant bits and accompanying fish/pudding to create the delicacies we all know and love. Eg. the national award winning Bervie Chipper.

Eta: Moray Cup as the accompanying drink. Failing that, Irn Bru. Nothing else is acceptable.

The Dolphin on North Junction Street in Leith is the best I have come across in my travels.

Freshly made to order as well.

Usually have a burger supper but have been known to have a fish supper and also sausage supper, not all at the same time I may add.

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

If from my local a Pudding Combo Supper ( 1/2 a black pudding, 1/2 a red pudding, 1/2 a white pudding, 1/2 a haggis pudding) 

This sounds like an outstanding idea. As far as I'm aware my local doesn't do anything like this, but I wish they did.

Depends on my mood, Fish, Sausage or Red Pudding Supper, and occasionally but only if I'm ridiculously hungover I'd maybe go for a king rib as an extra (this probably happens only once a year at most).

1 minute ago, Spain said:

This sounds like an outstanding idea. As far as I'm aware my local doesn't do anything like this, but I wish they did.

Depends on my mood, Fish, Sausage or Red Pudding Supper, and occasionally but only if I'm ridiculously hungover I'd maybe go for a king rib as an extra (this probably happens only once a year at most).

Next time you passing through Turriff, the chipper is called Skippers.

Only place I know that does it and it is brilliant.

Archived