What you get from the chippy.

Romeo

10 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Fried in batter. 

How to ruin a classic Italian dish.

If you want "a classic Italian dish", move to Naples. Pretty sure that no-one in west-central Scotland cares about cultural authenticity though, so jog on. 

As is usually made clear by the addition of curry sauce, which turns it from an 8 to a clear 10/10 winner. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayrshire has a few good chippys.  Certainly in Kilmarnock the "Plaice to Be" (if you see what they did there) is a great chippy and offers a Boneless Haddock as an option.

For me I like either a Special Fish or a Haggis/Black Pudding supper.......one piece of each.  I often find that chips from the chip shop are too hot.  I can't really explain what I mean here without sounding like a really strange person.

Kings Cafe in Glasgow (which historically was good but over the last 2 years has been poor, but seems to be improving) offer Haggis Fritters, Chips and a portion of peppercorn sauce for £5.  Its really good.

Red Cola is often my choice with a chippy whereas I would never have it with anything else.

Avoid the Wee Hurry in Troon.  Its really not worth the queues or the money.  

I remember about 5 years ago my friend got a stauner supper from a Kebab shop near Dennistoun(can't remember the shop name)

It was a sausage wrapped in donner meat dipped in batter and fried. Anyone else heard of this?

I didn't have the courage to try a bit, so just stuck to my black pudding supper.

If you want "a classic Italian dish", move to Naples. Pretty sure that no-one in west-central Scotland cares about cultural authenticity though, so jog on. 

As is usually made clear by the addition of curry sauce, which turns it from an 8 to a clear 10/10 winner. 

I had curry sauce with a chippy for the first time this year in Windsor. Was actually very nice

Standard chipper choice here is a fish supper with salt & vinegar and a pickled egg. Spoilt for choice for good ones in this part of the world, though I also enjoy one in Oban which is decent for horsing before the drive home off the ferry.

2 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

I had curry sauce with a chippy for the first time this year in Windsor. Was actually very nice

When I was at uni (christ, almost a decade ago now), my anti-hangover food for 4am was a chips, cheese & curry sauce butty. It's glorious.

Edit: Make sure there's plenty of sauce though or the roll can taste a bit dry.

When I was at uni (christ, almost a decade ago now), my anti-hangover food for 4am was a chips, cheese & curry sauce butty. It's glorious.

Edit: Make sure there's plenty of sauce though or the roll can taste a bit dry.

4am food is always glorious!!

49 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

5ft 9 or there abouts and starting to put on a bit of beef but can still see me tadger standing straight.

images-1.jpeg

Special fish supper.  ALWAYS made to order. If taking home no salt and vinegar as that makes your food go soggy. Add pickled onions and beetroot too :)

Chippies in central Scotland are weird and generally shite. The food is always too greasy and stodgy and only edible when pished or hungover. Calling breaded fish "special" is odd, offering boneless haddock as well, never found a bone in a fish supper where I'm from.

Battered pizza is the worst of the lot, why ruin a perfectly good pizza? Very, very strange.

Archived