Glastonbury 2017

Ziggy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/06/2017 at 22:34, ScotlandGer said:

The Foo Fighters ****ing killing it. Brilliant to watch. I'd love to be there.

I suppose they were killing it if you enjoy torturous crawls through their last 15 years of shit where every song is teased out to ten minutes of fretwanking and asking if the audience is prepared to rock (the answer is always yes, you should know this by now).

Totally stand by their first two and a half albums but genuinely wouldn't go and see them live if they were on in my front room.

22 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Not P&B's cup of tea I imagine but London Grammar's set was fantastic. Hannah Reid's vocals are probably some of the best in the entire music industry 

I find London Grammar an odd band, I don't dislike them, they're pleasant enough. They're the sort of band I feel I *should* like in a sort of "if you like this, you'll like that" kind of way. If one of their tunes is on then it's not like I'd turn it off I bought the record off the back of her voice and generally finding them quite interesting as an idea but I rarely find myself thinking "hang on, I'll put that London Grammar record on". In a way I kind of think of them as a sort of English version of Beach House. Nice sounding tunes but lacking something to latch on to.

I also can't believe the number of records they've sold. Genuinely. Not in a bad way, just they've sold...a lot.

It's not my bag, but he's an undeniably talented b*****d. A guitar, a few pedals and a completely captivated audience.

I caught a bit of his set, and while he just struck me as being a more populist version of The Tallest Man on Earth, with a guitar and lots of pedals, what I did see clearly spellbound his audience in a way that The Killers and Biffy Clayton and Emeli Sande did not.

Of what I saw, Rag N Bone Man was pretty excellent, even if the stage was far too big for his band.

The BBC presenters, Radcliffe and Whilley aside, are halfwits. No need for 90% of their work.

The National pulled out their A game. The can be a bit lethargic live. Their set on the Red Button is fantastic. New tracks sounding great.

I thought their set was fairly dull. I quite like their music but they don't seem like a 'live' band to me. Probably doesn't help that I've not heard any of their music post Boxer. I think 2007-8 was the last time I made any effort to keep up to date with new music.

17 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I thought their set was fairly dull. I quite like their music but they don't seem like a 'live' band to me. Probably doesn't help that I've not heard any of their music post Boxer. I think 2007-8 was the last time I made any effort to keep up to date with new music.

It's all been pretty downbeat since then, not many songs to mix up a slow set. They rely on pre-Boxer stuff to do that now.

They are very much a night time band. Mid afternoon slots do them no favours.

They are very much a night time band. Mid afternoon slots do them no favours.

To me they are quite a solitary band. Type of music earphones were invented for. I find with festivals the acts I've enjoyed the most haven't always been ones I've liked the music of the most. Tom Jones for example was brilliant, though I would rarely if ever throw on a Tom Jones CD.

There are exceptions to that though. Decided to see Kings of Leon even though I'm not really a fan, find them alright but thought they would be excellent live. How wrong I was. One of the dullest live acts I've ever watched.

To me they are quite a solitary band. Type of music earphones were invented for. I find with festivals the acts I've enjoyed the most haven't always been ones I've liked the music of the most. Tom Jones for example was brilliant, though I would rarely if ever throw on a Tom Jones CD.

There are exceptions to that though. Decided to see Kings of Leon even though I'm not really a fan, find them alright but thought they would be excellent live. How wrong I was. One of the dullest live acts I've ever watched.

This is true. And then there's the time and place nebulous ratio. I've seen bands stink in small, indoors venues, but absolutely own open stages. Big Thief being the most recent.

Archived