ICTFC v KFC 22/10/2016

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah well. Disappointed not to hold on for the win but would have taken a draw before the game.

Same here tbh, although it feels like a loss. Holding an away lead for that amount of time might have been season defining if we'd held on.

However, I'm currently standing in the horseshoe near Central station, and there's still a lot of Morton supporters milling around after their game today. It's put me in mind of how absolutely atrocious we were that day, and how far we've come. Still remember a Morton fan referring to Coulibaly as looking like a competition winner!

According to Clark, Killie 'deserved to win' despite Inverness having more possession, more shots, more shots on target, and most importantly,  they scored the same amount of goals as Killie did. 

He's never been the cleverest has he?

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

According to Clark, Killie 'deserved to win' despite Inverness having more possession, more shots, more shots on target, and most importantly,  they scored the same amount of goals as Killie did. 

He's never been the cleverest has he?

In the words of a famous old commentator, "were you at the game caller?", Killie IMO were the better side, the stats on BBC look a bit suspect tbh, for one Aaron Doran's attempts should not really be classed as shots, and, hitting the posts does not count as on target, ICT had an off day and would have been mighty thankful for the point, for us it was a long journey home ( train via Kirkcaldy, Inverkeithing, Linlithgow etc), luckily we managed to get a few refreshments prior to setting off.

But but but ...we had more corners , more fouls and hit the woodwork more times and if you add up the numbers on the players back we win that too ( don't know if that's strictly true tbf ) 

Statistics eh ... LC is only doing what every manager does , exaggerating and accentuating the positives. We would have taken a draw at 3pm so to come so close to winning  must have been a disappointment. Compared to last week where we held on for grim death it looked on alba last night more comfortable , so that's an improvement of sorts which Killie fans will gladly seize upon. 

We are a team in transition as they say in all the red tops and at the moment we aren't the most pleasing to watch but there are small green shoots showing especially away from home where we aren't expected to force the play and this suits us at the moment .

ICT fans are used to winning more than losing for the past few seasons,  we can't say the same and any result , however attained is welcome.

50 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

But but but ...we had more corners , more fouls and hit the woodwork more times and if you add up the numbers on the players back we win that too ( don't know if that's strictly true tbf ) 

Statistics eh ... LC is only doing what every manager does , exaggerating and accentuating the positives. We would have taken a draw at 3pm so to come so close to winning  must have been a disappointment. Compared to last week where we held on for grim death it looked on alba last night more comfortable , so that's an improvement of sorts which Killie fans will gladly seize upon. 

We are a team in transition as they say in all the red tops and at the moment we aren't the most pleasing to watch but there are small green shoots showing especially away from home where we aren't expected to force the play and this suits us at the moment .

ICT fans are used to winning more than losing for the past few seasons,  we can't say the same and any result , however attained is welcome.

So are we.

Another get out of jail for us. We're not good enough but at least the heads don't go down and we play to the final whistle, marked contrast to last season when we would switch off in the last 5 minutes or more precisely our defence would switch off and we would lose a late goal.

Disappointed with the result and the first half performance, but I don't think Kilmarnock are quite as bad as some fans of other clubs make out. They look a more improved outfit from last season.

Those stats on the BBC site seem awfully suspect. Biggest red flag is that we apparently had no corners which I am sure is incorrect. I think a draw over the piece was fair. Killie had some good chances in the first half to be out of sight. Coulibaly probably should have had a hat trick. After his penalty, following a clumsy challenge from McKay, he somehow managed to shot straight at OFW from only a few yards out and was then denied by a block by Josh Meekings balls. Tansey and Polworth had a couple of long range efforts but we really struggled to create anything of note in the first half.

Second half we were slightly better as Killie sat in a lot more and looked to hit on the counter. They were really well organised defensively and we found it very hard to open them up. When Killie did threaten we often struggled to clear our lines and on at least two occasions when trying to pass it out from defence played the ball straight back to Kilmarnock. Mulraney was getting caught on the ball with the worst mistake coming when he gave away possession and the ball was crossed for Coulibaly who headed over.

Doran and King came on and this gave us a bit more width but again they were deployed in a way that saw them continuously cutting in on their stronger foot and driving into the middle of the pitch where Killie were at their strongest and easily repelled the attacks simply just by crowding out the Inverness players. Doran scuffed one effort past the post and curled another shot over the bar whilst Doumbouya found a cross ball just out of his reach to direct a header goalwards. Fortunately Doumbouya was on hand to scramble home a truly terrible equaliser when a Tremarco cross from the left was headed back across goal, Killie couldn't clear and Doumbouya somehow squeezed the ball between MacDonald and a Killie defender. 

I'm still puzzled as to why Foran persists with Polworth playing on the right, or left as he did for a fair bit of yesterdays game. He showed against Dundee how tidy a player he is when played centrally and we have a number of players who can play in a more natural wide position now so why continue to force what seems to be a round peg into a square shaped hole. Mulraney started well but faded badly and was culpable for some very poor defensive play giving the ball away in dangerous situations which earned the rebuke of his team mates. Tansey again was below par but we don't really have many options to replace someone like him in the side. Vigurs was a bit better than recent games bit again was no better than okay. Still a real lack of quality up front as well. I'd like to see Fisher start midweek against Motherwell. 

Overall a point is better than nothing but I can't help but feel that we had something of a winning formula a couple of weeks back when we took Dundee apart and then for some reason we've changed that set up. I know you can't play the exact same way every week against different teams but there seemed to be little reason to change things. Particularly when it's the same issues every week that seem to give us problems.

EDIT: Can't say I really know much about the Killie side these days. I don't recognise half the team but i thought your number seven had a very good game. He seemed to be everywhere on the pitch and involved in almost everything. Decent number of Killie fans up. Must have been around 100. Good effort. Honking Inverness crowd of around 2,400. 

Archived