ICTFC v KFC 22/10/2016

39 minutes ago, RiG said:

Yeah and I think there was a bit of a stooshie about Killie apparently not turning on their USH for the game for some reason (or they turned it on later than it should have been).

I could well be totally wrong about that but I seem to recall some discussion about the noise from the system affecting nearby residents so it wasn't put on for long enough.

There was a stooshie about the hot air system by some residents but that wasn't the cause of the abandonment iirc . It never worked properly and was a poor and expensive choice in the first place. 

That was one of the severe winters and the police were concerned about the surrounding streets that hadn't been cleared of ice and snow and I think they called the game off citing public safety . I could be wrong. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

There was a stooshie about the hot air system by some residents but that wasn't the cause of the abandonment iirc . It never worked properly and was a poor and expensive choice in the first place. 

That was one of the severe winters and the police were concerned about the surrounding streets that hadn't been cleared of ice and snow and I think they called the game off citing public safety . I could be wrong. 

Think it was during the foot and mouth outbreak in the UK too.  Not sure why this reminded me of it.  Jan/Feb 2001 or round about then?  Can just remember seeing loads of signs warning about it on the bus down to the game.

47 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Think it was during the foot and mouth outbreak in the UK too.  Not sure why this reminded me of it.  Jan/Feb 2001 or round about then?  Can just remember seeing loads of signs warning about it on the bus down to the game.

You are correct ...I was getting my decades mixed up lol 

20 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I remember being at that game - the home end was absolutely packed.  What's not shown there is the Kilmarnock goal that never was.  A Killie player (who I've since forgotten) rifled a shot against the cross bar, it bounced down and came out again and he went off celebrating, only for play to continue.  The highlights later showed the ball was a good foot over the line.  Think this is the only time Killie wore their home kit at the Caley Stadium as well.

I remember standing right behind the goal that day. Miss the terrace and how it would be packed for a big cup match. Aberdeen, Celtic and Kilmarnock are all games I can remember it being packed out for. Some great games.

12 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Looking at that Killie team I'm willing to bet that the wage bill would have been several times greater than our current squads.

Can the same be said about ICT's ?

No, last years squad of players were the most expensive in the club's history. That team from 2001 would have been on 1st Division wages plus there were still part time players like Bavidge and Calder at the club.

40 minutes ago, Worktheshaft said:

I remember standing right behind the goal that day. Miss the terrace and how it would be packed for a big cup match. Aberdeen, Celtic and Kilmarnock are all games I can remember it being packed out for. Some great games.

Same, I used to have a really good spot right behind the centre of the goals at the back.  Great memories.

38 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That was a cracking away day, some ending!

Was a great game overall if I remember.  Real end to end stuff.  Pity there isn't longer highlights available online.

8 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Im not sure what you're saying here? The ref abandoned the game after half an hour.

3 hours ago, Worktheshaft said:

I'm sure Sportscene showed a proper highlights package that night and Duncan Shearer was interviewed afterwards.  It may have been offside but did we not miss a glaring chance in the first half?  Seem to recollect Gordon Marshall coming out and parrying a shot only for the ball to fall to Davide Xausa who managed to balloon the goal over the open goal.

I'm sure Sportscene showed a proper highlights package that night and Duncan Shearer was interviewed afterwards.  It may have been offside but did we not miss a glaring chance in the first half?  Seem to recollect Gordon Marshall coming out and parrying a shot only for the ball to fall to Davide Xausa who managed to balloon the goal over the open goal.

I recall Kilmarnock had 2 clear goals ruled out. I remember big Duncs interview on sportscene that night and the goal that was clearly over the line. Sure it was Gus Macpherson who crossed for the Killie goal. Have a memory of him talking about a kid who jumped on the pitch and hugged him after the equaliser.

The replay was abandoned not postponed. Also Andy McLaren was sent off in the first game, probably frustrated that he had an obvious goal not given after it crossed the line by a foot.

Those were the first times we played Killie. A few years after we got promoted we had a fantastic ding-ding game against them in Inverness that they won 4-3, Naismith scoring two or three goals. About five or so years ago we had our biggest win in the fixture when we beat them 6-3 at Rugby Park and in the final meeting of that season Killie edged us 4-3, a game that sadly saw a Caley fan taken ill and die in the away end.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The replay was abandoned not postponed. Also Andy McLaren was sent off in the first game, probably frustrated that he had an obvious goal not given after it crossed the line by a foot.

Quite right - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scottish_cup/1175779.stm

I was certain it was a totally different game.

7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It may have been offside but did we not miss a glaring chance in the first half?  Seem to recollect Gordon Marshall coming out and parrying a shot only for the ball to fall to Davide Xausa who managed to balloon the goal over the open goal.

Turns out it was offside after all but not quite as I remembered.  It was 16 years ago...!

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 01.19.44.png

So what we can take from this thread is that no one really cares about today's game and a few of us are suffering memory lapses recollecting precious fixtures!

Archived