tbsouth

1 hour ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

No. Greyhound racing is on its arse in Wimbleon (and elsewhere) and the stadium is falling into disrepair with attendances very small in recent times. The site was designated for sporting intensification in the London local plan and that's why the current owner has partnered up with AFC Wimbledon to get housing and a stadium on the footprint. Stock car racing (which will also go) is a very niche activity with its own problems concerning noise pollution and emission issues. I hear that they have another potential site where they can move to, but not sure.

As to whether it will be the last greyhound race in London, that depends on your defenition. Ther is still greyhound racing at Romford which has a London postcode but to all intents is Essex. 

Excellent thanks. So basically, whichever way it's dressed up, it appears the greyhounds and stock cars are being kicked out to make way for Wimbledon?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Club is seeking to build a 20,000-seater stadium with an initial capacity of 11,000.

The plans include provision for 600 residential units, along with retail and commercial space and a leisure club. Though the master plan aims to cater for growing support as Wimbledon progress up the Football League, it would also revitalise this part of Merton by bringing more jobs and adding community facilities for local residents.

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/club/new-stadium/

20 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Excellent thanks. So basically, whichever way it's dressed up, it appears the greyhounds and stock cars are being kicked out to make way for Wimbledon?

Yes. No great loss for the Borough but a major gain with a community football club coming home and the whole area benefitting from redevelopment.

On 11/9/2016 at 14:42, KingfaetheSooth said:

Yes. No great loss for the Borough but a major gain with a community football club coming home and the whole area benefitting from redevelopment.

Ok thanks. They lose any sympathy from me they had then as they're basically doing to two sports what they had done to themselves with all the pain that caused. No doubt, like Liverpool's new stand, the true cost will be overlooked in a media love-in when the new ground is ready. 

Ok thanks. They lose any sympathy from me they had then as they're basically doing to two sports what they had done to themselves with all the pain that caused. No doubt, like Liverpool's new stand, the true cost will be overlooked in a media love-in when the new ground is ready. 

Dog racing is pretty much doomed regardless of this plan.

Am I right in saying that as regards their current home AFC Wimbledon bought out Kingstonian's ground - or perhaps it was their lease to their ground - from under them?

I remember something along those lines anyway, as Kingstonian were turned into secondary users in what had been their own ground.

Also there was some story last year about AFC Wimbledon selling it to Chelsea's academy if or when they move to Plough Lane. What will happen to Kingstonian then?

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Am I right in saying that as regards their current home AFC Wimbledon bought out Kingstonian's ground - or perhaps it was their lease to their ground - from under them?

I remember something along those lines anyway, as Kingstonian were turned into secondary users in what had been their own ground.

Also there was some story last year about AFC Wimbledon selling it to Chelsea's academy if or when they move to Plough Lane. What will happen to Kingstonian then?

Think Kingstonian, who were a decent side in the late 90s early 00s were basically bought by a shyster who was probably after the land. I think if AFCW hadn't bought the ground it would have had houses on it by now. I believe AFCW just took a token rent off Kingstonian and it was more or less paid by the gate from the sides annual PSF game.

No idea what will happen to them once Chelsea move in.

King of the South would be able to give you more detail on the above.

Think Kingstonian, who were a decent side in the late 90s early 00s were basically bought by a shyster who was probably after the land. I think if AFCW hadn't bought the ground it would have had houses on it by now. I believe AFCW just took a token rent off Kingstonian and it was more or less paid by the gate from the sides annual PSF game.

My, how convenient. In the same way that those greyhound races in London are bound to go anyway, so AFC Wimbledon were merely putting them out of their misery.

An argument that somehow shouldn't be extended to the original, shit football club being relocated to Milton Keynes, using the exact same commercial logic that AFC Wimbledon now deploy to hound all competition out of their second-hand facilities.

On 11/11/2016 at 17:52, 7-2 said:

Greyhound racing isn't a sport and it's losing money hand over fist on the site. The stadium would be pulled down for housing whatever. It's the best site for AFC Wimbledon and will return the football club to a site within 100 yards of where it left almost 25 years ago. 

1 minute ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Greyhound racing isn't a sport and it's losing money hand over fist on the site. The stadium would be pulled down for housing whatever. It's the best site for AFC Wimbledon and will return the football club to a site within 100 yards of where it left almost 25 years ago. 

Couldn't really care either way on the ins and outs of the ground debate but Greyound racing is a sport!

On 13/11/2016 at 03:08, vikingTON said:

My, how convenient. In the same way that those greyhound races in London are bound to go anyway, so AFC Wimbledon were merely putting them out of their misery.

An argument that somehow shouldn't be extended to the original, shit football club being relocated to Milton Keynes, using the exact same commercial logic that AFC Wimbledon now deploy to hound all competition out of their second-hand facilities.

Kingstonian will receive a seven figure sum of money from the sale of Kingsmeadow to Chelsea in order to secure their future in a new stadium.

6 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Couldn't really care either way on the ins and outs of the ground debate but Greyound racing is a sport!

So was Fox hunting which is now banned. Greyhound racing is in major decline in this country and is already banned in some states in Australia. 

I'm puzzled too. If greyhound racing isn't a sport, I presume horse-racing or show-jumping isn't either?

It'll come down to whether you think Sport by definition involves Human participation.

I know better than to risk annoying pigeon fanciers so I'm staying out of this

On 13/11/2016 at 03:08, vikingTON said:

That kinda exposes your complete ignorance of the facts.

On 12/11/2016 at 11:03, cowdenbeath said:

That's pretty much it, AFCW bought Kingsmeadow from the shyster owner to protect their own future, which involved considerable bank loans, otherwise neither club would have been playing there today.

Kingstonian effectively play rent free, and are allowed to keep income generated from using the facilities such as bar takings on their matchdays,

They'll be given a payment from the sale of the ground to Chelsea to help towards a new ground for them, more in line with their needs.

Archived