Annan Athletic vs Arbroath

To be fair, I'm going to start going down the road of 1320Lichtie when defending managers so here's my closing statement;

If we exclude matches where the manager has just come in at the end of the season, cup games against higher division sides and all the games we've drawn or lost, every manager we've had has had the exact same win ratio and have been equally good.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't really give two hoots about win ratios or who the manager is. So long as we are well away from that dreaded relegation play off then I'm happy.

Anyway, with the current squad too many seem to have a scrambled brain into thinking we should waltz the league. Obviously winning the league would be great but we should only start groaning if we're slipping away from the top 4.

Hopefully a win against Annan will be the start of good things.

Why are we getting all this negative shit about DC. The signings he made in the summer were well received by most of the fans but they are not gelling together as the fans have hoped for. Whether he has a better record than Cairney Lumsden or even Jose Mourinho isn't important imo. He is the manager for now and deserves backing from the supporters. It is still early in the season and any team who can go on a run in the new year can take the title. Why not us?

2 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I couldn't really give two hoots about win ratios or who the manager is. So long as we are well away from that dreaded relegation play off then I'm happy.

I get what you're saying, obviously our number 1 priority is being no-where near the bottom. However, for a club with our budget, squad and management team we really should be challenging up the top end of the division. That also seems to be the opinion coming from the players and management also in interviews they've given.

1 hour ago, relichtie said:

Why are we getting all this negative shit about DC. The signings he made in the summer were well received by most of the fans but they are not gelling together as the fans have hoped for. Whether he has a better record than Cairney Lumsden or even Jose Mourinho isn't important imo. He is the manager for now and deserves backing from the supporters. It is still early in the season and any team who can go on a run in the new year can take the title. Why not us?

I completely agree with the part in bold - I would still be surprised if we weren't right up the top and challenging in the final few months of the season. I think the individual quality with have in the squad will see us up there.

I find it very strange that we all must support DC but people were against Todd for the vast majority of last season.

Is that not what supporting a football club is about. We support the players management and everyone connected with the club. When things are not going well voice your opinions which if supported by enough like minded fans will provoke a reaction from the board. At this juncture imo it is too early to decide if DC is the man to take us forward.

I don't particularly think anyone has been overly negative towards Dick. He is the best man for the job right now, no-one has said he isn't and I would disagree with anyone who said he wasn't. Has anyone said anything against Dick as a person, or his appointment, or against him being our manager for the foreseeable future? He has many positives that have been mentioned, but there are a few flaws as there usually is with any manager at this level. However, pointing out his flaws seems to be frowned upon whereas in the past managers with similar records to Dick with squads assembled on lesser budgets were completely fair game for abuse at times.

20 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I find it very strange that we all must support DC but people were against Todd for the vast majority of last season.

Erm..did you not notice how dreadful we were for the vast majority of last season.Why wouldn't we support DC,we're fourth in the league.If 'Todd' had the team in fourth position last season nobody would be against him.

We have some very strange supporters.

7 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

As only a small portion of lichties post on here. What is the general mood of the supporters so far this season at gayfield?

Fairly positive overall I'd say - everyone seemed impressed with the players brought in and I think the general consensus is we'll be in the top 4. Thankfully there seems to not have been much personal abuse directed at any players, aside from Bryan Prunty getting a wee bit of grief and there's definitely far more belief in the team than there was at any point last year. Probably more positive in the last few months than any of the 18 months prior.

4 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

As only a small portion osf lichties post on here. What is the general mood of the supporters so far this season at gayfield?

The general mood would probably be optimistic frustration!  The amount of draws that should have been wins, but the quality of squad bringing hopes of a successful season. 

Erm..did you not notice how dreadful we were for the vast majority of last season.Why wouldn't we support DC,we're fourth in the league.If 'Todd' had the team in fourth position last season nobody would be against him.

We have some very strange supporters.

Honestly this stuff isn't difficult

Lumsden was backed massively last season too. There's only one Todd Lumsden was being sung after getting our 1st win after 1 draw and 5 defeats at East Fife 7 games in ffs. 2 of they defeats being 3-0 pumpings, 1 from Montrose. Everyone taking the piss out of Specky.

Now the same guys that were doing that are now basically the new Speckys. :lol:

Except now we're in a play off position, one defeat in 10, doing away ok and 7 points off top with a good squad. Atleast you could see the reasoning behind Specky moaning. :lol:

I see your logic like Simon, even though a lot of times I disagree with what you're saying, think it's all ifs and buts and just your personal opinion though. Which is fine as thats what a message board is for, but a lot of the time using it as a stick to beat the management with isn't fair IMO. Everyone sees a game differently, I personally think you'll be right and wrong some times in what you say and you'll think the same about what I and others say, and it's always a lot easier in hindsight..

I can't ever remember things being like this before Moore either by the way. We're all a right bunch of tedious moans now, have to wonder what people are actually expecting at times.

Never just happy and content to watch the football and take it game by game, always a crisis and comparisons made to shiter times just to try put a downer on things. :lol:

Lumsdens nearly been gone 8 month now, the fact we are still talking about him and his time here is incredible considering where he left us. We never went on about Sheerin for as long as this, why everyone's wanting to constantly bring up last years horror show on a weekly basis when we are where we are is beyond me. It's like everyone just wants to be miserable. :lol:

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

1 - Now the same guys that were doing that are now basically the new Speckys. :lol:

2 - a lot of the time using it as a stick to beat the management with isn't fair IMO.

1 - No-one has said a bad word about Dick as a person. None of the posters who've questioned Dick's tactical decisions have made any comment suggesting we don't believe Dick to be the right man for the job, the only person who has done that is relichtie. Oddly no-one has batted an eyelid at that as they're too busy jumping on myself and others for questioning tactical decisions. Personal insults and abuse of everything Todd did was flying around last year. Discussing substitutions and pointing out facts being compared to abusing a manager and demanding he is sacked is ridiculous :lol:

2 - Every single week I continually say that Dick is the right man for the job, he has assembled a top squad and I believe we will be up the top this year. This seems to be completely ignored because I dare question some of the tactical decisions he makes.

I actually make far more positive comments regarding the squad and manager than most on here. It's just that I also question some of his decisions, and this results in people ignoring the positive comments I make week in week out and focusing on the things I disagree with. Several posters have questioned the ability of the squad, unlike myself, yet none of these posters have been called up on it but when myself or someone else questions a decision Dick makes all hell breaks loose.

I'm actually fairly positive of the position we're in right now; if people properly read all of the comments I make instead of focusing on the negatives they would see this.

I don't think you're being negative, I just think you're using your own opinions and using them as if they were fact and then using these to have a go. It's your opinion and some will agree and some won't. Also there's been abuse too, clown etc.

And all hell broke loose on this thread because you misinterpreted a few daft jokes and thought that I'd been calling DC #TapBoi all this time because I thought he was the messiah manager who could do no wrong. It's a light hearted way of saying I think he's a good c**t Simon. I'm no saying he's the best manager in the world. ;)

46 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I don't think you're being negative, I just think you're using your own opinions and using them as if they were fact and then using these to have a go. It's your opinion and some will agree and some won't. Also there's been abuse too, clown etc.

My comments on tactics, starting 11, subs etc. are 100% opinion and I've no issue with anyone disagreeing with that. It's a football forum, we all have opinions and that's exactly how it should be. Discussion is healthy and interesting. Let's just remember I'm the one people appear to be having a go at for having an opinion, yet I've not had a go at anyone for having a different opinion to me.

The stuff I posted regarding win ratios and comparing manager records is fact and can't be disputed. I think it's hilarious that anyone would be wound up by me pointing out facts, or would try to disagree with the facts. In fact I find this whole thread rather amusing in all honesty :lol: All hell broke loose because I brought these facts up and it aggravated a few posters, including yourself.

The point I'm trying to make, and have been for the last few months, seems to be flying several foot above quite a few peoples heads. As I said - I find it rather amusing :lol:

Anyway - there is no point in going round in circles, it's fairly obvious to me that the vast majority of us actually agree on most things with regards to how our season has gone so far and the things that we disagree on are simply down to opinion. Unfortunately some opinions are more acceptable than others. :)

You brought them up because you thought we meant DC was the best manager in the history of AFC when infact it was just a tongue in cheek joke though.

And no I find your opinions great and I enjoy reading them even if I disagree, it's good when this happens with a club like ours, love the discussion about Arbroath on these boards.

But sometimes think you think there's only a right and wrong answer after games and things are all black and white. If we done this etc this would've happened instead of I think if we done this this might've happened. That's all, no big deal lad. And if it becomes a big deal Westport bar at 5 any day you want. ;)

Archived