Johnny Marr

Grim O'Grady

I've just picked up the Johnny Marr autobiography from Waterstones at Ocean Terminal, I had pre-ordered it mind. 

It's signed copy & all for a tenner. 

I'm already on to page 6 before I came on here to tell everyone about it.

Johnny fuckin Marr. 

I've been listening to his lads band's L.P. recently, would go watch them next time they are up here. 

Grimbo 

5 hours ago, Grim O'Grady said:

I've just picked up the Johnny Marr autobiography from Waterstones at Ocean Terminal, I had pre-ordered it mind. 

It's signed copy & all for a tenner. 

Nice one Grimbo, that will be worth a few quid. I'll wait until your review before purchasing though. Thank you. 

I've always been really impressed with him when I've read or heard interviews with him. Seems like a well balanced guy that absolutely loves music has followed his dream and it's worked out for him. Particularly like that he tries to make his tours go to places that have good independent record shops.

Up to page 216 Meat Is Murder chapter. 

I'm reading this book like eating a chocolate eclair, savouring it bite by bite. I could read a chapter a night but I don't eat a chocolate eclair every night. It's a once in awhile treat. 

Interesting insite into how he writes & the recording processes. Loved the bit about This Charming Man. There's been a couple of laugh out loud moments. I do hope they where intended? 

Back next week for another instalment. 

If you like the Smiths, guitar players or lived through the 80's then get this book ah f**k it if even if you have no allegiance with any of those 3 things get this book. 

Grimbo 

Bought this the other week and just finished it.

Was disappointed by it. It's a fairly pedestrian run through of his career in a 'I did this, I played with this band' sort of way. There very little real insight or even emotion in it. The Smiths section while interesting, especially about some of the songwriting stuff, felt a bit stiff. You got the sense he didnt want to upset anyone especially Morrissey. So there was nothing really new in it and the disintegration of the band and relationship with Moz was just skirted over fairly quickly. 

His writing loosened up a bit when he moved on to his post career Smiths stuff, but it still all felt a bit 'played with so and so, had a good time, lovely person'. 

He's clearly a immense talent musically and a very nice man, but his writing and this book was a huge disappointment. 

Compare it to the funny, brutally honest and hugely entertaining books Peter Hook has written recently and this is just dull. Read the Peter Hook books instead. 

Archived