Standard in West Premier

Lupo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Lupo said:

Is it just me or has the standard dropped significantly this year? Talbot and Hurlford a shadow of their former selves. Meadow relegated. Kilbirnie struggling. Only Beith and Rob Roy doing really well.

Your on fishing trip or support largs

Don't get me wrong. It's still good value for 6 quid. Just seems like most teams are poorer. No teams have individuals who are willing to take players on and shoot from distance. The kind of thing that get fans excited.

2 hours ago, KarlMarx said:

Apparently not

15 minutes ago, Lupo said:

Don't get me wrong. It's still good value for 6 quid. Just seems like most teams are poorer. No teams have individuals who are willing to take players on and shoot from distance. The kind of thing that get fans excited.

Can think of about 5 players in our team at least who can take people on and shoot from distance to be fair. 

7 hours ago, Lupo said:

Is it just me or has the standard dropped significantly this year? Talbot and Hurlford a shadow of their former selves. Meadow relegated. Kilbirnie struggling. Only Beith and Rob Roy doing really well.

I agree that the overall standard has dropped sightly in the last couple of seasons, however Talbot are top of the league despite undergoing a bit of a transition and their points total suggests they'll be in contention and they're likely to improve as the new players become more settled. They've declined from the levels of their double winning years but that was always going to be hard to sustain. 

On the other hand there's no doubt at all about Hurlford's decline. They're showing near-relegation form and are out the main Cups so them and Talbot aren't really comparable. Beith on the other hand have definitely raised their game off the back of the Scottish win and seem the team to beat. Quite often a side that has a good Senior Scottish run has a downer after they go out, so I'm wondering if they'll handle that ok. 

Nobody else is really jumping out from the pack. KRR were doing OK  but we've seen this before from teams in the first half of the season only for them to end up mid-table. It would be great to be proved wrong about that though. 

Talbot in decline! Top of the league won a treble for the last 3 years. Better start worring as for hurlford well their bubble has burst worst ive seen them. Largs are struggling aswell but just lost manager so they will go back down so as for Kilbirnie they have won a cup so far this season Rob Roy have lost their last 2 games Beith doing well so me thinks you have been on the sauce

Personally it's the Best Beith team I have ever seen,  so I say the standard has risen, pitches are better facilities are being improved, much more effort at various clubs from committee's and fans. 

I guess if your watching Largs and kilbirnie get whalloped every week your opinion will be different.

Personally it's the Best Beith team I have ever seen,  so I say the standard has risen, pitches are better facilities are being improved, much more effort at various clubs from committee's and fans. 

I guess if your watching Largs and kilbirnie get whalloped every week your opinion will be different.

I'll agree with that. Beith are easily the main team at the moment. I'm hearing they are beating teams without getting into second gear.

Like quantum says I think the standard is dropping throughout all the leagues , and from what I've seen in the last few years it's due to the attitude and commitment of players coming through now. I always fancied a crack at manager but the last few years playing really put me off, the general attitude, fitness, drive , commitment etc was lacking in a lot of the younger guys coming through and the amount I saw not willing to take a rollicking or actually arguing with the managers at half time really summed it up for me.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's all players and Beith and Talbot are an example that you can still have committed players but there is so many distractions for younger guys coming through these days I don't think football is the be all and end all like it was for me and many others when I was a younger, much younger guy, and too be honest still is!!

Like quantum says I think the standard is dropping throughout all the leagues , and from what I've seen in the last few years it's due to the attitude and commitment of players coming through now. I always fancied a crack at manager but the last few years playing really put me off, the general attitude, fitness, drive , commitment etc was lacking in a lot of the younger guys coming through and the amount I saw not willing to take a rollicking or actually arguing with the managers at half time really summed it up for me.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's all players and Beith and Talbot are an example that you can still have committed players but there is so many distractions for younger guys coming through these days I don't think football is the be all and end all like it was for me and many others when I was a younger, much younger guy, and too be honest still is!!

Was the quality better in your day J?

I think there were maybe better individuals in 80s n 90s players like geordie coll John mclaughlin Hugh lyden Tom brown Gordon Mills Norman Montgomery were just a few of my favourites

Honestly I think (my opinion only) players from the 80's and 90's iconic players looked lots better because the standard was slower and tackles were terrible. Most players nowadays possess flair and skills aswell as being extremely fit.

Archived