The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

15 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

True although if one were to be even fussier it could be argued that "day one" of the second world war was July 7th 1937 when Japan went to war with China.

In this context though it should be apparent on reflection that I meant it in the, admittedly narrow, sense of "the war against Nazism"

I was referring to American Nazi's campaigning to keep America from going to war against Nazis and responding to a Nazi apologist's Whataboutery defending Nazis

The way history was taught to us in high school was that the resistance of American's to entering WWII had to do with the British lies which got us into WWI and your behavior in the aftermath of the war. People didn't want to fight another war for the British Empire on the false pretext of "defending democracy." That was the early view of what WWII was in the US. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 03:48, Fullerene said:

You might, just might, be able to argue that the German soldiers were more disciplined than the Russians.
After all, Stalin had most of the top ranks shot before they started fighting the Germans.

However, there was not too many people who saw the Germans coming and said "Great, here come the good guys."
In a few cases, like Ukraine and Lithuania, they may have thought the Germans would liberate them from the Soviets but soon discovered they were worse.

During the war, for a German soldier, behaving professional meant killing all Jews, Gypsies and other undesirables.
The war on the Eastern Front was one of annihilation.  I doubt good behaviour was displayed much by either side.

I don't know much about the Eastern Front. Was the average German enlisted man involved in mass killings of civilians? I'm asking an honest question. 

Antifa with the help of local Democratic politicians forced the cancelation of a free speech rally in San Francisco from a Patriot group which sought to specifically exclude anybody who was a Nazi or white nationalist. Nancy Pelosi called the event a "white nationalist" gathering, which can't be true if the group actively asked white nationalists not to attend. The mayor actively encouraged the protestors who ended up forcing the shut down of the rally. Today's Democratic party is more interested in encouraging street thugs to violate the civil rights of Americans than equally protecting the rights of all Americans in areas that they control. 

22 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I don't know much about the Eastern Front. Was the average German enlisted man involved in mass killings of civilians? I'm asking an honest question. 

Yes.  I recall one book where a German soldier said "The Russians are coming.  If they are half as bad to us as we were to them then we are in serious trouble."

A million people died in the Battle of Stalingrad, thousands were dying every day, the Germans regarded the Russians like vermin,  Twenty million people in the Soviet Union died in the war and they weren't all soldiers 

Edited by Fullerene

39 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

The way history was taught to us in high school was that the resistance of American's to entering WWII had to do with the British lies which got us into WWI and your behavior in the aftermath of the war. People didn't want to fight another war for the British Empire on the false pretext of "defending democracy." That was the early view of what WWII was in the US. 

There was also an attitude of "What's it got to do with us?  We left the old world (which typically meant Europe) to start a new life here.  Why should we send our sons and daughters away to die in somebody else's war?"

That attitude also applied to the war in Vietnam decades later.

7 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

You didn't have much option but join in after Pearl Harbour, coupled with the German declaration of war.

You were making plenty of money off of Britain prior to that, and if you had not had to fight would have been in a good position to bend the remnants of the British, Dutch and French Empires to your liking a la the Spanish empire.

15 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You didn't have much option but join in after Pearl Harbour, coupled with the German declaration of war.

You were making plenty of money off of Britain prior to that, and if you had not had to fight would have been in a good position to bend the remnants of the British, Dutch and French Empires to your liking a la the Spanish empire.

Yeah. I read some British guy say once that the US screwed you guys hard before we entered the war. We stole all your gold, or something like that.

Of course, what our elites were trying to do (replace the British elites at running the world) and the concerns of ordinary people here were to different things. I think most of them thought that WWI turned out to be just another European war about power politics rather than about ideals, and that they figured WWII was the same.

Dozens of Trump supporters beaten in Berkeley today. Not a peep here about it. The Berekely police chief has admitted that he ordered the police to allow Antifa into the park to "avoid more violence." LOL. Amazing. 

These chicks were there, though.

1JR3OPtB_f019iqjwxztSWi_koa_z7w54X-qo5Qx8EM.jpg?w=796&s=1587a613f43aef19f46ca5e9cfa560e3

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

17 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

You didn't have much option but join in after Pearl Harbor, coupled with the German declaration of war.

The American public did not want to get involved in somebody else's war but President Roosevelt certainly did.  He knew there was more at stake than all that.

A Nazi-ruled Europe and a Japanese ruled East Asia was not going to be good for trade and might obstruct America becoming the world superpower that it now is.

Still seems strange at times - Japan actually attacks America whereas Germany merely declares war but it is agreed from the start that defeating Germany is the priority.