The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Maybe an effort should be made to educate "moderate" Republicans and the centre unaffiliated voters on the fate of the folk who after an election end up claiming "when I voted for the face-eating leopard party, I didn't think they'd eat MY face...".

Sane Americans need all the help they can get.

But it will never happen to…(insert options of your choice, such as “normal, white citizens”, “us straight folks”, “the men like us who made this country”, “Christians like us”, etc)

People like that always class their “group” as beyond threat. The “fun” bit is it’s already happening to ALL women, and they still haven’t had that sink in. The Republican Party actually wants to go after the right to birth control, and is determined to remove the rights of pregnant women, at some point that penny will drop and you’ll hear an almighty cry arise.

Eric Trump:

“For the first time, they realize that the system’s coming down, that he’s the victim, he’s the victim that oftentimes some of their communities were,”

”You see them swinging. Look at the African American vote, right? That’s swinging over to Donald Trump in spades.”

Hummmmm, not the best choice of words, Eric…”swinging”, “spades”…not good.

On 02/06/2024 at 00:00, Boo Khaki said:

Listening to her testimony I thought it was pretty clear she was less than enthusiastic about it and felt under duress, so I'm not sure I would describe it as voluntary.

Allegedly he was saying he'd get her on the Apprentice, which is pretty on brand for Mr quid pro quo

Trump goes off the rails and once again attacked E. Jean Carroll (Using the same language that got him found guilty in the second trial). Carroll's lawyers reportedly mulling a third defamation trial, which would be shooting fish in a barrel, and might set a record for an individual defamation award.

Per CNN, NYPD suspended Trump’s carry permit on 1 April, 2023, and is now preparing to revoke the permit. Trump turned over two permitted guns on 31 March, 2023 and submitted proof the third had been removed (legally) to Florida. Note that, since he’s now a felon, it is illegal for him to possess a firearm anywhere in the U.S., and CNN has asked if he still owns that pistol.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I have read, also I think on CNN, that anyone found guilty of a felony is not technically a felon until they are sentenced.

I don’t know that that’s right. Misdemeanors and felonies refer to charges - a misdemeanor charge being something that carries a maximum sentence of 1 year in prison whereas a felony is anything over that. So even if he’s not sentenced to more than a year in jail (which he won’t be) the fact that he could have been makes him a convicted felon. 

Of course the actual mechanism could vary state to state and you’d think NY would lean more lenient, but AFAIK ‘convicted of felony charge’ = ‘felon’. 

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I don’t know that that’s right. Misdemeanors and felonies refer to charges - a misdemeanor charge being something that carries a maximum sentence of 1 year in prison whereas a felony is anything over that. So even if he’s not sentenced to more than a year in jail (which he won’t be) the fact that he could have been makes him a convicted felon. 

Of course the actual mechanism could vary state to state and you’d think NY would lean more lenient, but AFAIK ‘convicted of felony charge’ = ‘felon’. 

You may be right, but look at the second ‘key point’ in this CNBC report.  That’s the second source I’ve seen.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/30/trump-guilty-crime-felony-what-happens-next.html

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You may be right, but look at the second ‘key point’ in this CNBC report.  That’s the second source I’ve seen.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/30/trump-guilty-crime-felony-what-happens-next.html

Could be, but it'd be very much a technicality. Like if you'd gotten your uni exam results thru and you'd been told you got a 2:1, you'd probably start putting that on your CV, even though you technically don't have it until you've shoved the cape on and shaken the principal's hand and gotten your wee certificate. There's nothing you could do to not be a graduate unless you snuffed it or pulled a Reggie Perrin in the intervening period. Although apropos of nothing, I've heard the Paraguayan jungle is lovely this time of year, should anyone that might be interested in that kind of thing be reading.  

53 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Could be, but it'd be very much a technicality. Like if you'd gotten your uni exam results thru and you'd been told you got a 2:1, you'd probably start putting that on your CV, even though you technically don't have it until you've shoved the cape on and shaken the principal's hand and gotten your wee certificate. There's nothing you could do to not be a graduate unless you snuffed it or pulled a Reggie Perrin in the intervening period. Although apropos of nothing, I've heard the Paraguayan jungle is lovely this time of year, should anyone that might be interested in that kind of thing be reading.  

Yeah, I know a guy in the Sates who got a 2:1 but they let him keep his gun right up until he got awarded the degree.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I have read, also I think on CNN, that anyone found guilty of a felony is not technically a felon until they are sentenced.

False. Conviction is when you are pronounced guilty, however, results from the conviction may defer until sentencing and/or appeal is over. That’s why NYPD is pulling his carry permit now.

Edited by TxRover

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

saw that on the Legal Eagle video about it, yeah. Not technically a felon yet. Fine/safe ground to call him a future felon, though.

image.thumb.png.372b6a3e5dfd418df64c8e6e5815b7bd.png

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Now that’s been cleared up.  In other news Steve Bannon’s been told his four month jail sentence starts on 1 July.

There are terrible tales about sexual abuse taking place in American penal institutions; fortunately for him he’s an ugly c**t and no one will want to go near him.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Now that’s been cleared up.  In other news Steve Bannon’s been told his four month jail sentence starts on 1 July.

There are terrible tales about sexual abuse taking place in American penal institutions; fortunately for him he’s an ugly c**t and no one will want to go near him.

Not cleared up, that's their opinion...there are about 15 different nuances around this. The main headline is convicted felon, but your mileage may vary.

American's prisons vary wildly. I would expect Bannon to be reporting to Club Fed, but no story yet has mentioned which facility he will be reporting to. On the whole, Federal prisons have much less of that issue than the local and State prisons. Given his white-collar offender status, I'd expect a unit like FCI Cumberland (the home of the original Club Fed designation).

Here's a news story on it:

"A prison sentence is called “hard time” for a reason — there’s nothing cushy (and definitely no high thread counts) at even the low-security prisons where many a VIP has done time. But with celebrity convicts in the news, like “Real Housewife” Teresa Giudice (she began her 15-month sentence Monday) and former Virginia governor Bob McDonnell, whose sentencing is Tuesday, there is renewed interest in what life is really like on the inside.

“It’s kind of like a junior college setting,” explained Larry Levine, director and founder of Wall Street Prison Consultants, which advises clients before going into lock-up. “I don’t want to call it a stress-free environment, but it’s a lot of hanging out with the other inmates, you know, just bull—-ing.”

Levine, who served 10 years in federal prison for racketeering, among other charges, said that a typical day at a low-security prison camp starts with wake-up call a 6 a.m., a mad dash to the overcrowded bathrooms (“You never want to be the last guy in the shower stall–ever”), breakfast at 7:15 a.m., work duty, lunch, more work, a head count at 4 p.m., mail call, dinner an hour later, free time, another head count, then lights out at around 11 p.m. It’s not girl scout camp, but it’s not HBO’s jailhouse drama “Oz” either.

“It’s like a boring Groundhog Day,” Levine said.

The Federal Correctional Institution in Cumberland, Md. is the go-to for white-collar Washington criminals. Disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff and former Clinton administration official Webb Hubbell served time at Cumberland, where prisoners are free to leave the premises to do yard work and the like, as long as they return.

One top D.C. defense attorney said his clients describe Cumberland as a “boys dormitory” with food that’s “nothing to write home about.” It’s got a commissary (where canned tuna — which, oddly, is used as a kind of currency in the camp — is sold) and a bare-bones fitness facility. The biggest perk, though, is that prisoners tend to be on their best behavior for fear of being sent somewhere rougher. “Nothing bad happens to you there,” said the attorney."

Fascinating to see Sunak raked over the coals for his D-Day decision, while over here Trump can insult and belittle veterans and the military to his hearts content and maintain Republican support.

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Fascinating to see Sunak raked over the coals for his D-Day decision, while over here Trump can insult and belittle veterans and the military to his hearts content and maintain Republican support.

The Republican support is choc full of racists, fascists and arseholes. Sunak has got Reform picking up most of the UK equivalent so he's getting it a bit tight. 

14 minutes ago, HTG said:

The Republican support is choc full of racists, fascists and arseholes. Sunak has got Reform picking up most of the UK equivalent so he's getting it a bit tight. 

That doesn’t make sense.

The Republican racists, fascists and arseholes support Trump as he belittles those who have died in wars whereas the U.K. racists, fascists and arseholes are critical of anyone who doesn’t honour those who have died in wars.

What is incredible is that the support for veterans in the USA is far more pronounced than it is in the U.K. yet Trump gets a pass when he dishonours them.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What is incredible is that the support for veterans in the USA is far more pronounced than it is in the U.K. yet Trump gets a pass when he dishonours them.

It’s seems a bit of denial and, to be honest, stupidity. They get shown a video of him saying suckers got o war and they start rationalizing it or suggests it’s AI. It’s like the fact he now says he never said “lock her up”, despite multiple video examples, it’s all “fake news”.