The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Mr. Danger equates abiding by the correct made up PC language rather than correct legitimate language with intelligence. Haha. Amazing.

Obamacare is economically unsustainable. It doesn't matter who won the election. The Democrats created a system which could not last, but that shouldn't have been a shock to anybody.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/news/economy/republicans-obamacare-repeal-replacement-bill/index.html

So the first draft of the replacement to Obamacare has been published folks and it contains no surprises.

Lower income individuals - worse off

Higher income individuals - better off

Reakly high income individuals - far better off

Suppliers of insurance - better off

Prescription drug suppliers - better off

Millions covered by Obamacare will lose cover.

There's also proposed changes to Medicaid that will see far less funds available for those dependent upon that service.

I reckon many of those who voted for Trump will be directly or indirectly affected by these changes.  That should be fun.

Just perfect for a chinese delivery van driver

It doesn't look like the bill will pass.
In principle the ACA was a step in the right direction but the way it was enacted was expensive, hastily put together and kinda shit. Fining people for not having a health plan was terrible.
I'd like to see the problems with it worked on rather than just binning everything.
We'll see.

I don't know what the rest of the country is like but the salary limits for Covered California were a mess. The salaries in SF are higher but everything costs a lot more.
A load of middle class people fall through the cracks here. If their company doesn't have a good health plan, and they earn a medium to good salary then they are fucked for getting coverage.
The only people that really see any benefit from the ACA were low paid people (who are usually Mexican).
Maybe that's why Trump wants to cut it back.

17 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

It's incredible how you can be a pioneering brain surgeon, and yet still appear so stupid.

My wife is an archivist for a county council, and recently did a tour for some history A-level students from a very expensive private school. One of the focuses was the slave trade, and a few of them genuinely seemed to think that the slaves might have been happy to move to America for a better life.

17 hours ago, Swarley said:

I reckon their dreams were more along the lines of hoping that tomorrow wouldn't be the day they were killed or severely beaten, or that they could return to their homeland.

16 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Suspect there were few negro spirituals being sung in the holds of the slave ships

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If I realised that you only needed Carson's level of intelligence to be a neurosurgeon I would definitely followed that career path.  I'd probably be the most eminent neurosurgeon in the world by now.

"Certainly, it wasn't easy for those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves. There was discrimination and hardship and poverty. But, like you, they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before them. And they were able to muster faith that, here in America, they might build a better life and give their children something more."

Barack Hussien Obama, Dec 15, 2015

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=111241

I'll take apologies in the form of red dots to any Granny Danger post.

Honest question, do lefties like to be offended and then search for things which give offense? Is it like a high?

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/07/politics/wiretap-congress-sean-spicer-response/index.html

Republicans further distancing themselves from Trump baseless and incredibly ridiculous wiretap claims.

But it's really the media's fault.  House intelligence chairman Devin Nunes has said that the problem is the media take Trump literally.  Now when the President of the U.S. claims his predecessor wire tapped him I'm not quite sure how the media are meant to interpret that.  Unless Trump is a liar or fantasist then a literal translation seems the only fair approach.

"Stop believing anything Trump says", appears to be the message from one of his staunchest supporters.  Strange times indeed.

6 hours ago, Deplorable said:

"Certainly, it wasn't easy for those of African heritage who had not come here voluntarily and yet in their own way were immigrants themselves. There was discrimination and hardship and poverty. But, like you, they no doubt found inspiration in all those who had come before them. And they were able to muster faith that, here in America, they might build a better life and give their children something more."

Barack Hussien Obama, Dec 15, 2015

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=111241

I'll take apologies in the form of red dots to any Granny Danger post.

Honest question, do lefties like to be offended and then search for things which give offense? Is it like a high?

Let's admit that Obama said something similar to Carson and get that out of the road.  Let's go further and say that I bet a lot of us here don't think that Obama was a particularly good President.

Can you now explain the comments based on anything other than whataboutery?

It does seem that it's your go to defence, quite relentlessly.  It doesn't serve any purpose but to deflect and it doesn't work.

35 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

Let's admit that Obama said something similar to Carson and get that out of the road.  Let's go further and say that I bet a lot of us here don't think that Obama was a particularly good President.

Can you now explain the comments based on anything other than whataboutery?

It does seem that it's your go to defence, quite relentlessly.  It doesn't serve any purpose but to deflect and it doesn't work.

My whole life in America I've heard similar tributes to black Americans. How they never lost faith. How they dreamed of freedom and participating as equal citizens. How they knew the values of America would one day apply to them. It's all probably just a bunch of crap that people say because it sounds good and makes us feel good. But it's normal rhetoric. It was odd that Ben Carson used the word "immigrant." My general stance is that you take a statement as it was intended. Carson wasn't pulling a right wing troll routine. He's a nice dude who was trying to say nice things about black people, his ancestors and mostly the people he's supposed to help in his new job. The way people ripped him apart, especially all the black people calling him an Uncle Tom and a coon, was disgusting. There isn't much worse a black American can be called. The fact that Obama used the exact same word while making the exact same point is entirely relevant to the debate on the sensitivity or usualness of Carson's statement, and how people should react.

Further, the fact that the media blew this up to the point that it was on the front page of major newspapers across the country says something about our media's bias.

40 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

My whole life in America I've heard similar tributes to black Americans. How they never lost faith. How they dreamed of freedom and participating as equal citizens. How they knew the values of America would one day apply to them. It's all probably just a bunch of crap that people say because it sounds good and makes us feel good. But it's normal rhetoric. It was odd that Ben Carson used the word "immigrant." My general stance is that you take a statement as it was intended. Carson wasn't pulling a right wing troll routine. He's a nice dude who was trying to say nice things about black people, his ancestors and mostly the people he's supposed to help in his new job. The way people ripped him apart, especially all the black people calling him an Uncle Tom and a coon, was disgusting. There isn't much worse a black American can be called. The fact that Obama used the exact same word while making the exact same point is entirely relevant to the debate on the sensitivity or usualness of Carson's statement, and how people should react.

Further, the fact that the media blew this up to the point that it was on the front page of major newspapers across the country says something about our media's bias.

I broadly agree with you here.  While I do think his comments were ill-judged, I do think it's a storm in a teacup.

In terms of the media bias, we suffer from it in a huge way.  Us being Scottish independence supporters, but it is enduring and, in some ways, unbeatable.

What the Trump administration do wrong, IMO, is to give them so much material to work with.  I think it's a bit rich to complain when Trump tells so many lies.

The media is quite clearly biased to a level that probably hasn't been seen before, not in Western democracy at least. I don't think that's even remotely a controversial statement. 

Trump balances that out by being idiotic and incompetent to a level most certainly never seen before in Western democracy. I still see why people chose to vote for him, but he's barely done a single thing right since winning the election, even the enactment of policy which appeals to his voters has been hurried and botched. No amount of media bias is responsible for that. 

And the media didn't make him Tweet inflammatory, unfounded and dangerous lies about Obama, either. Or voter fraud. Or Arnold fucking Schwarzenegger. 

"I can't be believe it's not a healthcare plan!" would work for the 10 million or so who'll lose coverage. It looks like a straight transfer of tax credits from those on low earnings to those earning over $70,000.

P.S. Too slow for mjw, rats.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1275 The replacement for ObamaCare is going to be called "The World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017"

Of course it is; why wouldn't it be?

We now live in an alternative reality that means you experience all the confusion and paranoia of hallucinagetic drugs without the benefits of the girl sharing it with you wanting to get undressed and freaky.