Tartan Army Shame Scotland Yet Again

Fair enough, but I would hope you wont be moaning the next time someone boos your national anthem. Personally, I wouldnt boo any national anthem. Im glad that verse of the anthem has now been disposed of.

664200[/snapback]

Sure, next time boos a Scottish anthem that contained "crushing Rebellious Italians" or Norwegians then I won't grudge them a wee boo.

STICK YOUR MARSHALL WADE UP YOUR ARSE!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting to note that the 'published' version ends with King. How long ago was it published ;)

The National Anthem consists (and has always consisted) of the first two verses. Yon ditty was written after the '45 and has no official status at all

664281[/snapback]

If you'd be so kind as to tell me, what IS the official status of the English national anthem? :rolleyes:

If you'd be so kind as to tell me, what IS the official status of the English national anthem?  :rolleyes:

664726[/snapback]

There is no English anthem - GTSQ (2 verses) is de facto the British one.

664739[/snapback]

Its not difficult to get a new one though.

The Aussies did it with "Advance Australia Fair", south Africa did it with their ost Apartheid one and Ireland replaced The Soldier Song with the "Ireland, Ireland" effort.

England should not be using the British anthem as theirs (I wuld rather Britain didnt either, but thats another debate).

ITs a rubbish song anyway - a mournful dirge. Like Flower of Scotland, which should also be replaced MO. We need an upbeat song, like the Aussies or Irish.

Its not difficult to get a new one though.

The Aussies did it with "Advance Australia Fair", south Africa did it with their ost Apartheid one and Ireland replaced The Soldier Song with the "Ireland, Ireland" effort.

England should not be using the British anthem as theirs (I wuld rather Britain didnt either, but thats another debate).

ITs a rubbish song anyway - a mournful dirge. Like Flower of Scotland, which should also be replaced MO. We need an upbeat song, like the Aussies or Irish.

664752[/snapback]

GTSQ was used by all home nations until recently. Now, because the Scottish and Welsh FAs have decided not to, then suddenly England and NI shouldn't? I thought we were supposed to be the 'oppressors'

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer an English anthem. GTSQ is shite

664739[/snapback]

England uses Land of Hope and Glory sometimes, but yes, the point is that there's NO official anthem.

as soon as the italians at the front of the stand started doing nazi style salutes they where booed.

never booed their anthem but the singer was p*sh anyway :lol:

664890[/snapback]

Off topic but my pal maintains he was playing FiFa once on the playstation and David James did a Nazi Salute. I maintain he was smoking too much dope at the time but there you go.

GTSQ was used by all home nations until recently. Now, because the Scottish and Welsh FAs have decided not to, then suddenly England and NI shouldn't? I thought we were supposed to be the 'oppressors'

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer an English anthem. GTSQ is shite

664770[/snapback]

What does being oppressors have to do with anything.

Great Britain as a country competes at sporting events. For example The Davis Cup. At these events the British anthem should be played, which it is.

England is entirely different from GB, whether they consider themselves to be so or not.

If they wish to use GSTQ as the English anthem, then the GB anthem should be Flower of Scotland, or the Welsh anthem rotated with GSTQ.

Why should the anthem of one constituent part of GB be used for competitors of all constituent parts.

What does being oppressors have to do with anything.

Great Britain as a country competes at sporting events. For example The Davis Cup. At these events the British anthem should be played, which it is.

England is entirely different from GB, whether they consider themselves to be so or not.

If they wish to use GSTQ as the English anthem, then the GB anthem should be Flower of Scotland, or the Welsh anthem rotated with GSTQ.

Why should the anthem of one constituent part of GB be used for competitors of all constituent parts.

664994[/snapback]

The 'oppressor' was just a slight dig while illustrating a fundamental point - why should England and NI change their habits because the Scots and Welsh have done? We have not hi-jacked GTSQ: rather the Scottish and Welsh FAs have abandoned it.

The 'oppressor' was just a slight dig while illustrating a fundamental point - why should England and NI change their habits because the Scots and Welsh have done? We have not hi-jacked GTSQ: rather the Scottish and Welsh FAs have abandoned it.

665015[/snapback]

Not so much that they abandoned it but the people never really adopted it.

665015[/snapback]

Im not saying England should abandon it. I associate GSTQ with England and the English.

What I dont think is right is that Scots or Welshmen representing GB should have that as their anthem.

In the unlikely event I win an Olympic gold medal (I might take up one legged archery whilst on a unicycle - bound to be an olympic event soon with the pish they do have in it :P ) would I f'ck be singing GSTQ.

It is hard enough for foreign people to realise there is a difference between England and Britain. Having England's anthem for Great Britain doesnt help <_<

Not so much that they abandoned it but the people never really adopted it.

665017[/snapback]

Is that the case, though? Has Scotland been a hot-bed of anti-monarchism/anti-unionism/self-determination since the 1840's (or whenever National Anthems were adopted)? The older Scots that I've met (especially those who were around during WWII) certainly don't come across as such

Guest larkhall Accie Loyal

Can you imagine playing GSTQ, for this GB football team, it would be a joke every set of fans signing there own national anthem

665015[/snapback]

Has Scotland ever used GSTQ at a sporting event?

Has Scotland ever used GSTQ at a sporting event?

665100[/snapback]

I read on this very forum that it was perfectly usual up to the 60's (maybe 70's). The (few :D ) older posters on here should be able to clarify

Amazing. I keep trying to envision what that must have been like, but I can't :P

665129[/snapback]

On the last few occasions, I don't think it sounded any different than it would do now :lol:

Archived