Average Premiership Salaries

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm a lean, mean fighting machine m8.  I'm a 31 year old with the #body most 20 year olds would kill for.

#6pack #gym #selfie #hairgoals #600lbdeadlift #thehigheryoubuildyourbarrierstheswoleribecome #nohomo

Pics or gtf.

58 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm a lean, mean fighting machine m8.  I'm a 31 year old with the #body most 20 year olds would kill for.

#6pack #gym #selfie #hairgoals #600lbdeadlift #thehigheryoubuildyourbarrierstheswoleribecome #nohomo

You've a body like Taylor Swift???

Foran must have spunked a fortune in the summer? Hughes' team were playing for buttons were they not?

We had a higher wage budget last season due to injuries early in the season - our accounts had. £20,000 loss due to this.

Doubt the figures take into account any changes since Foran took over, wages won't have been published yet.

the publisher hints at how they have got the figures for English teams. I assume they use the same for Scottish teams.

They use the figures in the accounts. Clearly these are estimates and not based on insider knowledge. Also the accounts are historical so any club not in a steady state (ie newco) won't be at all accurate.

they use "intricate calculations" based on knowledge obtained from pfa surveys.

there is a pfa document on their website showing average wages by year and division. I expect this is real.

I guess that the intricate calculation I to work out average non-first team (and probably non-director wages using the historical pfa data. There should be enough variety in roles and geography that these will be on average pretty stable, with the exception of football management costs.

using the published squads and previous periods staff numbers, apply rpi to average non first team salary (historical), times headcount, subtract from wages net of directors and social security and pensions, divide by first team squad size and voila.

Average non first team and non-director salaries for the dons, from reverse engineering the above, is £13.7k. This is £1.12m for 82 people. Taking matchday staff and other part timers into account this seems actually quite likely.

Two points to summarise:

-I need to get out more

- you can earn decent wedge for being shite at football

Edited by coprolite
304th in the rankings! up yours changchung yatai!

• 6 years later...

Bump.

Scottish womens internationalists taking SFA to a tribunal for equal pay and conditions to the men.

Could be an important case with major implications for the club game as well as the representative, if is found they're entitled to same pay (given attendances/TV rights/etc. are much lower)... but devil presumably in the detail tbf.

Scotland women's team make legal challenge to SFA over pay and conditions - BBC Sport

Scotland women's national football team are taking legal action against the Scottish FA in a fight over equal pay and conditions after talks broke down.

The squad, led by captain Rachel Corsie, are now ready to take their case to an employment tribunal. The players consider there to be disparities between their treatment and that of their male counterparts.

"This is about all professional footballers being treated equally," Aston Villa defender Corsie said.

"After years of iniquity, disrespect, and in some cases abuse, we have a historic opportunity to advance equal pay and to promote equality for women and girls in football. "This campaign is about parity, and we'll be seeking to engage with the Scottish Football Association, the fans, and everyone in Scotland's football community to deliver this long overdue change."

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bump.

Scottish womens internationalists taking SFA to a tribunal for equal pay and conditions to the men.

Could be an important case with major implications for the club game as well as the representative, if is found they're entitled to same pay (given attendances/TV rights/etc. are much lower)... but devil presumably in the detail tbf.

Scotland women's team make legal challenge to SFA over pay and conditions - BBC Sport

Scotland women's national football team are taking legal action against the Scottish FA in a fight over equal pay and conditions after talks broke down.

The squad, led by captain Rachel Corsie, are now ready to take their case to an employment tribunal. The players consider there to be disparities between their treatment and that of their male counterparts.

"This is about all professional footballers being treated equally," Aston Villa defender Corsie said.

"After years of iniquity, disrespect, and in some cases abuse, we have a historic opportunity to advance equal pay and to promote equality for women and girls in football. "This campaign is about parity, and we'll be seeking to engage with the Scottish Football Association, the fans, and everyone in Scotland's football community to deliver this long overdue change."

Surely victory here will just mean a lot of clubs disbanding the women's team? 

34 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Surely victory here will just mean a lot of clubs disbanding the women's team? 

Maybe not a complete disbanding but certainly a slow or even reversal in the full integration that’s been happening recently.   

Not that would be a good thing,  but typically any fight for equality ends up with a bit of push back,  hopefully it’s 2 steps forward and 1 step back and not the reverse.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bump.

I'll repost what I put in the thread on the Women's Football forum, but I'll add that I don't think it'll be the same issue at club level. For example, Hearts don't pay all male and female players a flat rate. Liam Boyce has a different salary to Michael Smith. So, the clubs could easily just argue that they treat everyone as an individual. For the national teams there's just a flat fee, so it's a bit different.

Saw this article today in the Guardian about the US case, and I have to say I was surprised to hear that they hadn't actually won in court, as that's certainly how it was presented at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/16/uswnt-equal-pay-settlement-case

I don't know if a similar issue would apply in this case. Can anyone tell me if the Scotland men and women are paid according to the same structure? As the issue in the US case was that the women had agreed to be paid according to a different structure, so didn't have a case.

I've got to say, I'm quite uncomfortable with, and wary of, quotes such as this one:

"After years of iniquity, disrespect, and in some cases abuse, we have a historic opportunity to advance equal pay and to promote equality for women and girls in football.

"This campaign is about parity, and we'll be seeking to engage with the Scottish Football Association, the fans, and everyone in Scotland's football community to deliver this long overdue change."

It's not really about those things. It's about the women's team wanting to be paid more money than they are now. I don't take issue with anyone trying to improve their lot, but let's call a spade a spade here.

On the issue of sponsorship money distribution, I imagine it will depend on how the SFA have sold those deals. But I don't think anyone is going to claim the women's team are of equal value to sponsors. Similar to match fees, what is the income to the SFA and on what basis do they split it up?

I absolutely agree that the women's team should have the same conditions as the men's team, but I'm not sure that necessarily translates into the same pay. We'll see what happens.

They've extended the article with detail from further players:

Scotland team-mates Caroline Weir and Erin Cuthbert are two other prominent players seeking what they view as a fairer share of funding from commercial deals. "For so many years we've felt an after-thought, and whilst we have seen growth it's come as a result of driving our own change," said Real Madrid's Weir, capped 93 times by Scotland.

"Payments from sponsorship deals overwhelmingly go to the men's game, and to male players. In our current society, this is one example of the outdated prejudice towards one group of players.

"If shared out equally, there would be a dramatic increase in funding for women's and girls' football at all levels that would be transformative."

Chelsea's Cuthbert added: "This campaign must be the start of an irreversible turning point to forever change our national game, and the way women players are treated. "It's about advancing and achieving equality in Scottish football."

'A fight for respect'

Chris McLaughlin, BBC Scotland sports news correspondent

This is a row that has been rumbling on for some time but this move gives an indication of how the talks have gone and the strength of feeling of those involved. The women's national team have come a long way in the past decade, both in terms of results and profile. Given what has happened in other countries, and the United States in particular, this group now feel the time is right to make their point and stand up for what they believe in - the anger and frustration from senior players is clear.

The Scottish FA has made moves towards equality in recent years, though. Combined commercial deals have been signed, more resources have gone towards overseas training camps and the national stadium is now the home of the women's team and not just the men's.

The headlines for the upcoming tribunal will be about equal pay but for a group who see themselves as female role models, this is a fight for respect.

Respect for women's football is shown in things like funding overseas training camps, having the women's team play at Hampden, and should be shown in the future by increasing access for girls and ensuring a high standard of coaching is available and proper marketing provided to genuinely develop the women's game and interest in it.

As that happens and interest develops (as I'm sure it will), then the issue of how much players should be paid will become more pertinent.

The players should be paid well to play for Scotland. But the same as the men as of right now? Unpopular Opinions Thread for this pish, I know, but not for me, Clive.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Here is an unpopular opinion or maybe an unwise comment.

The women's game is a different sport. 

I'd like to see which ever women's (or maybe them all) enter the Scottish Cup at the lowest point and see who get however far.

The men's game brings fer more money.

More women watch the men's game than watch the womens.  I've female mates who follow killie everywhere but wouldn't go and watch killie ladies. That's just the probably the unpopular truth.

The men's side will make the SFA money. The womans side certainly won't.  Just about give away tickets. 

This is as ill judged as their strop about tickets being released in stages the other year. Same as any other game but they wanted all of hampden open for a stadium that ended up being 85% empty.