Pollok v Talbot

Talbot Bing

On the point about Third Lanark, there are fans around and about at Lok who supported them (I could name 3 or 4 anyway), but bear in mind they went out the game 50 years ago and had been losing support across their final few years, going from being watched in the mid 000s in the early 60s to getting crowds that Lok get now by the end.

So for someone to be following them 50 years ago, they'd now likely be well into their 60s or older. For all the old jokes about Lok's support being Jack, Victor and Winston, having worked the concessions gate many a time, it is never anything close to being a 3rd of the total gate, and that includes kids.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Talbot Bing said:

Aye you could be right might be my Ayrshure bias with the fanbase thing. Definitely a different sort of fan to ours though but totally agree with your last comment.

I suppose most folk want to see the big teams that'll never change.

They don't drive motability cars,TB? :huh:

There has been a drive by the club, particularly by the social media guys to put Pollok as an attractive place to watch football with a decent success. There's a lot more younger people from kids to younger adults going than there was 5years ago. People come for one game and end up hooked, which hopefully says a lot about junior football in general.

I'd be disappointed if there was less than a 4 figure crowd given the crowds against Bonnyrigg, Kilbirnie and Hurlford last year (albeit in the later stages of the competiton) as the Talbot probably bring the most supporters to Newlandsfield in the league. 

There has been a drive by the club, particularly by the social media guys to put Pollok as an attractive place to watch football with a decent success. There's a lot more younger people from kids to younger adults going than there was 5years ago. People come for one game and end up hooked, which hopefully says a lot about junior football in general.

I'd be disappointed if there was less than a 4 figure crowd given the crowds against Bonnyrigg, Kilbirnie and Hurlford last year (albeit in the later stages of the competiton) as the Talbot probably bring the most supporters to Newlandsfield in the league. 

Pollok and Auchinleck defo best supported clubs in the west followed by Kilbirnie to get 1000 u need a healthy away support and neutrals now a days but I'd say this is defo a fixture that shud get over 1000 as it cud attract neutrals

3 hours ago, classof2010 said:

Pollok and Auchinleck defo best supported clubs in the west followed by Kilbirnie to get 1000 u need a healthy away support and neutrals now a days but I'd say this is defo a fixture that shud get over 1000 as it cud attract neutrals

Would agree with this. I'm sure I will be put right if I'm wrong, but league games between Pollok and Talbot at Newlandsfield are usually  given as between 700/800. I would say for a Scottish tie, even this early, three figures is fairly safe.

Would agree with this. I'm sure I will be put right if I'm wrong, but league games between Pollok and Talbot at Newlandsfield are usually  given as between 700/800. I would say for a Scottish tie, even this early, three figures is fairly safe.

I would very much hope that 3 figures are fairly safe !!!

Not sure of the attendance back in January but I think that would have been helped by a lot of call offs around that time.

But hopefully can push on to the 1000 mark this weekend. Just a pity the tie is so early in the competition.

The Lok v Lie league game a few months back was 1003, as far as I can see, looking back, the best league gate at Newlandsfield since 1998. Quite a few games in the Superleague era, vs. Bot, Buffs, Lie, Meadow etc came in at high hundreds and some weren't far off that but none broke the grand barrier. Cup ties yes, but league is so much harder to get the neutrals along to. Being a cup tie on Sat, would be hopeful of the 1000+.

The Lok v Lie league game a few months back was 1003, as far as I can see, looking back, the best league gate at Newlandsfield since 1998. Quite a few games in the Superleague era, vs. Bot, Buffs, Lie, Meadow etc came in at high hundreds and some weren't far off that but none broke the grand barrier. Cup ties yes, but league is so much harder to get the neutrals along to. Being a cup tie on Sat, would be hopeful of the 1000+.

Do you have a record/list of the highest attendances since the turn of the millennium?

Evening all. Can I just bring this post from Pollok's website to your attention re: arrangements for Saturday. I'd be grateful if someone could post this on the Talbot forum.

Cheers!

Pollok Football Club look forward to welcoming Auchinleck Talbot and their support to Newlandsfield this Saturday for what is surely the pick of the ties in round 3 of the Scottish Junior Cup. 
Since we are expecting a significantly larger than average crowd, some extra security steps will be in place to ensure that the occasion is enjoyable for all spectators.
We would ask all Pollok, Auchinleck and neutral supporters to familiarise themselves with the following:
  • At the request of the Scottish Junior FA, there will be a police presence at the game.
  • In addition there will be G4S stewards present on the day to assist the police in managing the crowd.
  • Absolutely NO alcohol will be permitted inside the ground under any circumstances. All supporters are cordially requested to comply fully with this decision, as neither club is responsible for any expense or disappointment resulting from attempts to ignore it.
  • However, the function suite of Lok's Bar and Kitchen (the former social club premises) will be open to supporters from 12:30pm and after the game. There will be pies and programmes available.
  • While extra entrance gates will be open, queues are expected. It is advised that supporters adjust their match day routine to facilitate early arrival at Newlandsfield.
  • There will be a 'correct money' gate opened to ease congestion at the gate.
  • Ambulance Scotland staff will be present to assist in case of emergency.
  • We suggest that supporters buses park on Auldhouse Road, as Newlandsfield Road has extremely limited parking
With the eyes of the Junior world and beyond watching, we all have a responsibility to show the Juniors up in the best possible light and make Saturday's match the footballing spectacle it deserves to be. With your co-operation, we can do just that.

Police and Security staff at the game is a complete over reaction by the SJFA, and I hope they're squaring the bill up for it. Never, ever, been a hint of any kind of trouble at Newlandsfield when we play there. Riciulous state of affairs. Think there should comfortably be 1200 there Saturday.

Archived