Scottish cup games

happy

If the s.j.f.a.can hold the scottish cup semis on the weekend of.what about them expanding that to all Rounds? if both teams agree before a ball is kicked.I am sure a few parks will be playable tomorrow that were not today.

Tabot game for example.the weather on Thursday along with the forecast was pointing to this game being postponed,but what do we do?we hang on in there until we get the inevitable decision on the Saturday. 

What am I thinking! this is an impossibility.the s.j.f.a. could never allow this.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that there is something in players' contracts saying that they don't have to play on a Sunday, it is optional. The same applies to Scottish Junior Cup semi finals, they are only played on Sundays if the two teams agree to it, presumably after checking the availability of their players. The SJFA cannot just say "the game is on Sunday", but it is an option that is available to the teams in the semi finals.

I understand that there is something in players' contracts saying that they don't have to play on a Sunday, it is optional. The same applies to Scottish Junior Cup semi finals, they are only played on Sundays if the two teams agree to it, presumably after checking the availability of their players. The SJFA cannot just say "the game is on Sunday", but it is an option that is available to the teams in the semi finals.

There isn't anything in the contracts about Sunday's (the contracts are by the SFA). There is/was an old rule about games not being played on a Sunday, not sure it is still there though.

I reckon if both clubs agreed that games could be moved but sometimes getting both clubs to agree can be difficult and players would want to know in advance (more than 2/3 days notice) so they can arrange their personal lives around it.

I'm sure that the west region or sjfa would be approachable as we have had an example of a Friday night game this season and in previous season Glencairn played a midweek game under floodlights in march I think v East Kilbride.

There isn't anything in the contracts about Sunday's (the contracts are by the SFA). There is/was an old rule about games not being played on a Sunday, not sure it is still there though.

I reckon if both clubs agreed that games could be moved but sometimes getting both clubs to agree can be difficult and players would want to know in advance (more than 2/3 days notice) so they can arrange their personal lives around it.

I'm sure that the west region or sjfa would be approachable as we have had an example of a Friday night game this season and in previous season Glencairn played a midweek game under floodlights in march I think v East Kilbride.

Correct, that was about 8 years ago.

Yes, if both teams agree.that's what I said.all it takes is the two clubs to be allowed to consider it as an option.it would only be from round one up to the quarters. as it is now you have one chance to have the game on.if it's postponed,we will try again next week and so on.

The problem is the teams that do well in cup comps.usually end up with a fixture backlog at the end of the season.Season after season.

Yes, if both teams agree.that's what I said.all it takes is the two clubs to be allowed to consider it as an option.it would only be from round one up to the quarters. as it is now you have one chance to have the game on.if it's postponed,we will try again next week and so on.

The problem is the teams that do well in cup comps.usually end up with a fixture backlog at the end of the season.Season after season.

My point is that it is open to clubs. But by Thursday is too late imo.

13 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

From he current SFA Player's Agreement (Non SPFL) which applies to SJFA Clubs:

Clause 2...the player may decline...to play football or to attend the clubs ground or any other such place on a Sunday

...and then at the bottom of the form...

Note: The attention of the player is directed towards that part of Clause 2 which relates to Sunday football.

14 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Sorry arthurlie 1981 can't get rid of the header.

So if a championship club were playing Celtic today they could Refuse? can't see that happening.also how many times is clause 2 Enforced by a player?

I was only enquiring about the possibility of giving a cup game 2 chances to be on that weekend to avoid 3 and sometimes 4 games at the end of the season.

As a fan,if I activated the clause I would have only saw my team lift the cup once instead of 10 times.fans have to be flexible,so why not others.

From he current SFA Player's Agreement (Non SPFL) which applies to SJFA Clubs:

Clause 2...the player may decline...to play football or to attend the clubs ground or any other such place on a Sunday

...and then at the bottom of the form...

Note: The attention of the player is directed towards that part of Clause 2 which relates to Sunday football.

Sorry thought that had been removed. I know there was talk of it being removed and just had presumed it had happened. I had not looked at the forms this season.

Ridiculous to have that in the form.

Sorry arthurlie 1981 can't get rid of the header.

So if a championship club were playing Celtic today they could Refuse? can't see that happening.also how many times is clause 2 Enforced by a player?

I was only enquiring about the possibility of giving a cup game 2 chances to be on that weekend to avoid 3 and sometimes 4 games at the end of the season.

As a fan,if I activated the clause I would have only saw my team lift the cup once instead of 10 times.fans have to be flexible,so why not others.

The form only applies to clubs below league 2. But I agree a player could conceivably refuse to play in any of the cup finals at junior level that take place on a Sunday hence the reason why I thought it had been removed.

Archived