Motherwell v Celtic

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Seriously? I'd say they have been the worst team to come to Celtic park this season. Maybe not in terms of scoreline but they were embarrassingly bad that day and didn't even attempt to get a result. Accepting defeat before kickoff and going out to keep the score down rather than trying to find a way to get a result is not spot on tactically as far as I'm concerned

celtic are the one's holding all the cards,most teams come to parkhead and park the bus i have no problem with that it's up to us to break them down,motherwell kept the score down to 1 with 5 minutes to go before we got the penalty,most games at parkhead, the game is finished at half-time, only inverness has held us to half-time but then fell apart in the second half,Celtic get judged on results not the performance.

What would you have done against a team with an astronomically superior budget?

I think you are mistaking me as criticising Motherwell when I'm not. I'm just pointing out that they didn't make any effort to get a positive result and imo were the worst team we have played this season at home.

We beat Barcelona a few years ago with a line up that included Ambrose, Mulgrew and Miku with our super sub being Tony Watt. Barca were the CL holders at the time and the best team in the world with infinitely more resources than us. We set up tactically to make sure we wouldn't lose goals but in a way that still allowed us to get at Barca.

Motherwell came to Celtic Park and didn't make any attempt whatsoever to get a result. You brought on a 17 year old when you were 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go when you had Lionel Ainsworth on the bench and continued to make no effort to sneak a late equaliser even though it was clear that by that stage of the game that you weren't going to lose 6-0.

4 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

I'm normally skint this time of the year.

Aren't we all...

I'm sure we'll have more of a go at home, as opposed to playing at away at Celtic Park.  Now, of course it's still 11 v 11 but you only need to look at Celtic's European record to see the difference playing at home can make. 

I have no issue with the manager bringing on a 17 year old last time out.  He obviously had the belief in him to do something in the game, Hastie had been on real run of form with the 20s at the time so he deserved a shot.  Also, what better place is there to pick up some first team experience? 

Celtic are on a different planet to Motherwell, it's a complete mismatch.  It always has been, but you can see the difference much more clearly now Celtic have a competent manager and the confidence is sky high.  I still expect us to have a go tomorrow with us being at home, but it may get to the point where we're just simply well beaten by a much better side.

I think you are mistaking me as criticising Motherwell when I'm not. I'm just pointing out that they didn't make any effort to get a positive result and imo were the worst team we have played this season at home.

We beat Barcelona a few years ago with a line up that included Ambrose, Mulgrew and Miku with our super sub being Tony Watt. Barca were the CL holders at the time and the best team in the world with infinitely more resources than us. We set up tactically to make sure we wouldn't lose goals but in a way that still allowed us to get at Barca.

Motherwell came to Celtic Park and didn't make any attempt whatsoever to get a result. You brought on a 17 year old when you were 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go when you had Lionel Ainsworth on the bench and continued to make no effort to sneak a late equaliser even though it was clear that by that stage of the game that you weren't going to lose 6-0.

What do you think of your performance in Barcelona this season?

What relevance does our performance against Barca have to do with a Celtic v Motherwell match?

I'm simply pointing out that there's nothing wrong with having us beaten before a ball is kicked as we are playing a side with vastly superior resources just like Celtic were in the CL.

"making an attempt to get a result" won't change the fact that 9 times out of 10 we will be beaten regardless.

I'm simply pointing out that there's nothing wrong with having us beaten before a ball is kicked as we are playing a side with vastly superior resources just like Celtic were in the CL.

"making an attempt to get a result" won't change the fact that 9 times out of 10 we will be beaten regardless.

Well in my opinion there is nothing wrong with being realistic. If you think your going to get beaten then fair enough. If a team wants to come and park the bus then that is their call. Don't get me wrong it's a bit of a bore to watch but that's their right & it's up to us to get past them.

I thought in the League Cup game that Motherwell actually didn't do too badly despite the scoreline. I thought their back line and midfield tucked in, in front of them were disciplined and congested. If anything, had they not been that disciplined the score could've been a whole lot worse as remarkable as that seems.

I don't think it was so much about Motherwell's performance that night as it was about Celtic's. We were simply on fire.

Your season won't be defined by games against us but given you have written it off then maybe the manager could try & use it as a game to maybe surprise us with something we're not expecting. Some radical formation to try and cause an upset. If it is going blatantly wrong he can change it back to their usual set-up.

Anyway, who cares lol.

57 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Well in my opinion there is nothing wrong with being realistic. If you think your going to get beaten then fair enough. If a team wants to come and park the bus then that is their call. Don't get me wrong it's a bit of a bore to watch but that's their right & it's up to us to get past them.

I thought in the League Cup game that Motherwell actually didn't do too badly despite the scoreline. I thought their back line and midfield tucked in, in front of them were disciplined and congested. If anything, had they not been that disciplined the score could've been a whole lot worse as remarkable as that seems.

I don't think it was so much about Motherwell's performance that night as it was about Celtic's. We were simply on fire.

Your season won't be defined by games against us but given you have written it off then maybe the manager could try & use it as a game to maybe surprise us with something we're not expecting. Some radical formation to try and cause an upset. If it is going blatantly wrong he can change it back to their usual set-up.

Anyway, who cares lol.

McGhee? Try out a radical formation? Because that always works out well.

BPynFzY8QMjD2.gif

It was reported that Motherwell played a 4-2-2-2 at paradise but looked like they parked the bus,kept the central area's tight and let Celtic have the ball in the wide area's of the park,the only way i can see Motherwell getting a result is playing on the counter attack or Celtic getting a player sent off.

Over the years went from yes mibbe we can beat one of the two big teams to lets get the smelly green brigade/ blue order in and out of our town with as little fuss as poss ,a point or thtee being a bonus. I"d rather play the jambos tbh

6 hours ago, Mr Pikey said:

Over the years went from yes mibbe we can beat one of the two big teams to lets get the smelly green brigade/ blue order in and out of our town with as little fuss as poss ,a point or thtee being a bonus. I"d rather play the jambos tbh

Indeed but that approach and attitude does us absolutely no favours whatsoever in these games. We know Celtic are a much better side than us and more than likely will beat us, but we are too quick to just shrug our shoulders and dismiss these games as "ah well they don't matter, they're too good for us, anything we get is a bonus". Unfortunately a number of our managers down the years have adopted this same attitude with Butcher, McGhee and McCall being the worst culprits.

Archived