Smoking

Cosmic Joe

7 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Stopping smoking is no problem, trying not to start again is the problem.

Allen Carr's Easy ways to stop smoking book is what you want if you want to stop.

No NRT, no being a fat b*****d and explodes the myths around smoking.

I know it has been brought up a few times on here but it's worth banging on about how good this is. Sounded a load of rubbish to me before I tried it and I had no real desire to stop. It's like having a switch flicked in your brain and suddenly you don't smoke and have no desire to smoke. No cravings or climbing the walls. 

Worst part about stopping after having smoked for over 30 years is about 3 weeks after stopping. The nasal passages are clear, flowers and fresh cut grass smells wonderful. Going for a Shite does not!! I thought something had crawled inside me and died.:yucky

Never smoked as I think I would get hooked very easily but its never too late to quit best of luck to the guys who are in the process of kicking the habit remember your body will repair its self best it can :) 

Smokers-Timeline_V2.png

3 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

The thing is, smoking, despite it's many setbacks, is hugely enjoyable. It's just a very expensive and deadly hobby.

It's not really that enjoyable though, is it? I was on about 20 a day, at least, for about 25 years and I think the only ones I ever really enjoyed were the first one in the morning and the one after dinner. All the rest were just out of habit and really not that enjoyable at all.

22 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

It's not really that enjoyable though, is it? I was on about 20 a day, at least, for about 25 years and I think the only ones I ever really enjoyed were the first one in the morning and the one after dinner. All the rest were just out of habit and really not that enjoyable at all.

I absolutely loved every single one of mine. Probably nearer 40 a day for me. 

The wife has been told that as soon as the docs mention big C to me, I am starting again as I enjoyed them so much, I am not shuffling off without a smile on my face.

52 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Never smoked as I think I would get hooked very easily but its never too late to quit best of luck to the guys who are in the process of kicking the habit remember your body will repair its self best it can :) 

Smokers-Timeline_V2.png

Glad to know that my risk of contracting cervical cancer has fallen...

I gave up smoking when I was 12. A Damascus moment behind the school bike sheds. The best description I've heard about the addiction is an urgent itch that requires scratching on a regular basis. Basically a form of eczema of the lungs. I've had a mild form of eczema in the past. It's not pleasant...  

Brutal

Sometimes it's not so bad but sometimes it is just absolutely awful. Seen a lassie a few times just before Christmas that smoked, first time was bad but still seen her a second time, never again after that though. A combination of a slight cold and fag breath left me coughing solidly the whole day, horrible taste/tingle at the back of my throat.

Must be dependant on the kind of fags because it's only been as bad as that twice, lassie I used to see years ago was the same.

Any other time it's been bearable but still not pleasant.

Maybe smokers will know the difference I'm talking about..

I sometimes smoke a couple to and from work, but other than the odd night out where I can look like Father Jack's Elvis I rarely go beyond 20 a week. Even that has me paranoid about turning into a wheezing, cancer-ridden jakey by age 30.

Hoping to cut right down or even kick the habit altogether while I'm still not too dependent on it.

9 hours ago, microdave said:

I gave up in May 2013. But started again about September/October the same year. I'm still smoking but don't really enjoy it that much, but I don't think I have the willpower to stop even though I'd like to. 

I smoked 40+ a day for over 50 years.

I stopped cold turkey at Hogmanay, 2012 and never had a smoke since.

I still have a craving for cigs but no powerful enough tae smoke again.

Persevere :thumsup2

9 hours ago, microdave said:

I gave up in May 2013. But started again about September/October the same year. I'm still smoking but don't really enjoy it that much, but I don't think I have the willpower to stop even though I'd like to. 

I was off them 6 months back in the mid 80s, then started again. Took me the guts of 20 years to finally stop. Just saying, like...

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was off them 6 months back in the mid 80s, then started again. Took me the guts of 20 years to finally stop. Just saying, like...

Much as I disliked it at the time, I believe that the governments ban on smoking in the work place, etc must have helped me to stop.

I used tae follow folk in the street who were smoking just tae get a whiff.

Now I would ban smoking everywhere cos I'm like a born again christian :)

10 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Much as I disliked it at the time, I believe that the governments ban on smoking in the work place, etc must have helped me to stop.

I used tae follow folk in the street who were smoking just tae get a whiff.

Now I would ban smoking everywhere cos I'm like a born again christian :)

I did that, too, then I started again! :lol: I'm glad to be off them, I don't think I'd still be here if I were still smoking, my lung capacity is completely shot as it is, the last time I was in for a review the nurse wanted to put me on oxygen. I said no, I'm due back next week for another review, we'll see what comes out of that.

35 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I did that, too, then I started again! :lol: I'm glad to be off them, I don't think I'd still be here if I were still smoking, my lung capacity is completely shot as it is, the last time I was in for a review the nurse wanted to put me on oxygen. I said no, I'm due back next week for another review, we'll see what comes out of that.

When I smoked I used tae go tae the nurse once a year for a breathing review.

I was supposed tae inhale deeply then exhale intae a tube which registered my lung capacity.

Being a heavy smoker I always started tae cough as soon as I tried tae inhale.

Now when I go for a review I can inhale and exhale nae bother.

It's a different world.

hopefully your next review will show an improvement :thumsup2

4 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

When I smoked I used tae go tae the nurse once a year for a breathing review.

I was supposed tae inhale deeply then exhale intae a tube which registered my lung capacity.

Being a heavy smoker I always started tae cough as soon as I tried tae inhale.

Now when I go for a review I can inhale and exhale nae bother.

It's a different world.

hopefully your next review will show an improvement :thumsup2

It won't, my condition can be stabilised, rather than reversed, but thanks for the good wishes! :)