Outstanding performances from mediocre players

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

When Jim McIntyre took over he had a brief resurgence of form and McIntyre offered him a contract, Simmons rejected it because he believed he would get a contract in the SPL.

Think it was Raith? Or yourselves he ended up at.

I had to look it up but he came to Queens for a few games before signing for Rovers. He then ended up back with us during McPhersons infamous season, as captain no less.

It was McPherson who described him as "SPL quality" 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That was another guy wasn't it? I want to say that the player you're thinking off ended up at Swansea, Butler?

Just found this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/4260560.stm

He played that night. Christ, we almost chucked it away, forgot it finished 3-4.

Grand thread!

I think for any Queens fan of this era, John Stewart is da man. Remember thinking, along with thousands of others nae doot, "we're doomed", when the Dobbmeister hobbled off. However, our saviour was at hand. He had warmed up in front of Dons fans, telling him how good he was and he roared into action and turned the game. HERO! 

Peter Cormack (junior).

Never a terribly popular figure at Morton despite giving his all.

One night at Love Street he sealed his place in history when he did a beautiful side step into a low cross and fired home the only goal of the game.

Peter Cormack v St. Mirren.JPG

Even the referee congratulated him.

Edwin De Graaf looked great in our Europa league game against Maribor and scored twice. A week later he missed an absolute sitter against rangers and never ever recovered.

Alex Harris in the Falkirk semi final when he was the main reason we came back from 3 down as Falkirk bottled it at hampden again.

You could probably add Marvin Bartley against hearts this year in the replay at Easter road. Bullied the hearts midfield off the ball and kept the ball in the corner for about 10 minutes at the end. Been absolutely shite since then.

2 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Edwin De Graaf looked great in our Europa league game against Maribor and scored twice. A week later he missed an absolute sitter against rangers and never ever recovered.

Alex Harris in the Falkirk semi final when he was the main reason we came back from 3 down as Falkirk bottled it at hampden again.

You could probably add Marvin Bartley against hearts this year in the replay at Easter road. Bullied the hearts midfield off the ball and kept the ball in the corner for about 10 minutes at the end. Been absolutely shite since then.

Bartley is good at getting sent off and then not being suspended though.

Allan Russell had a ridiculously good game for us against Clyde about a month or so after he signed in 2003. Equalised with a great header then scored a superb solo goal to win it. This earned him a two year contract and he did very little until the final six weeks or so when he started banging them in for fun. Perhaps a little harsh, there was the odd flash of genius but we never saw again what he did against Clyde when we thought we'd signed a world beater.

Going off at a tangent (but don't care) with a mention of Paul McKnight who came off the bench to score two crucial goals against Falkirk and Ayr (the latter one of my favourite Saints goals ever as it caused absolute scenes at Somerset) as we closed in on the title in 2000 before spending the next two years injured. We released him, re-signed him a year later and he spent another six months injured before buggering off for good.

I mind Gary Tweedie: a young player thrown in when he wasn't ready, like a few others, when we slid into administration under Hugh Scott. He was resigned for our 2nd division "campaign" and, amongst a terrible, terrible squad of players didn't look out of place with the rest of the ringers, has beens and 'never will be's. Like a lot of that team their confidence was shot fairly early on in the campaign and he dipped in and out of the team then played against Berwick Rangers and strolled around the gap between the strikers and midfield like Hagi and scored a hat trick (think one mighta went down as an OG?).

That was a weird season

On 16/12/2016 at 06:35, Monkey Tennis said:

A brilliant summation of the contribution of John Stewart.

Pretty certain I saw him play for Bo'ness in the juniors immediately after leaving Falkirk

On 12/16/2016 at 15:04, AyrshireTon said:

Peter Cormack (junior).

Never a terribly popular figure at Morton despite giving his all.

One night at Love Street he sealed his place in history when he did a beautiful side step into a low cross and fired home the only goal of the game.

Peter Cormack v St. Mirren.JPG

Even the referee congratulated him.

Probably my favourite Morton goal of all time.

Archived