Old photos of your club

3 hours ago, microdave said:

Where did you find the flag unfurling pic? I was scouring the net looking for something from that day a while back but drew a blank. 

Is that Dunfermline in the bottom pic? It looks like it could be their away kit. Also there are people on the Chernobyl terracing (the cut off was the end of the Turnberry roof iirc), which means it must be 1992/93 when we had an all gold kit and in the same division as the Pars.

Eta the teams played in May 1993 which could explain the weather and attire of the crowd. The other game at Boghead that season was December.

Canny even mind where I got the flag one - possibly from the 'Dumbarton Memories' page on Facebook.  If you still want it, just take it, I nicked it from someone else in the first place!

As said before, the other you ask about is the final game at Boghead v East Fife.  They must've opened up the rolling grassland for one last time to let the big crowd in.

Edited by Boghead ranter

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Canny even mind where I got the flag one - possibly from the 'Dumbarton Memories' page on Facebook.  If you still want it, just take it, I nicked it from someone else in the first place!

As said before, the other you ask about is the final game at Boghead v East Fife.  They must've opened up the rolling grassland for one last time to let the big crowd in.

I will. I'm not shy at nicking pics! 

I only made it to that game for the last ten minutes and my memory obviously hasn't thought keeping the kit East Fife played in that day a priority. 

Just now, microdave said:

I will. I'm not shy at nicking pics! 

I only made it to that game for the last ten minutes and my memory obviously hasn't thought keeping the kit East Fife played in that day a priority. 

10 minutes!  You're lucky.  I was in Cyprus on holiday, and when I realised that I was going to miss the game, I was seriously looking into getting a flight home for the game and then back out afterwards.  Mrs Ranter put me right on that score....

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

10 minutes!  You're lucky.  I was in Cyprus on holiday, and when I realised that I was going to miss the game, I was seriously looking into getting a flight home for the game and then back out afterwards.  Mrs Ranter put me right on that score....

I was living on Arran at the time and without getting into specifics, I was summoned to the area on a family matter but managed to make it in time to celebrate the victory and get a bit of "turf."

16 hours ago, Tonsilitis said:

Sorry guys, no!  To put you out your misery- it's Montrose.  Compare and contrast the crowd for this sort of match then and now!

Two thirds of my guesses were in the right county...

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Near to Powderhall (sometimes called New Powderhall) were the Old Logie Green and New Logie Green (sometimes called Old Powderhall) stadiums.

Shown here is the latter, hosting the only Scottish Cup Final ever played outside Glasgow.

Eagle-eyed observers will note in the second picture the earlier versions of (from left to right) the 'D', penalty box and 6-yard box.

1653730290.jpg

CjfSPimWkAElt9m.jpg

stbernards1003-gallery-695585.jpg

That stand still exists.  When St Bernards went belly up, Morton bought the stand which was dismantled and re-erected at Cappielow and remains as the basis of the present day main stand

1 minute ago, Tonsilitis said:

That stand still exists.  When St Bernards went belly up, Morton bought the stand which was dismantled and re-erected at Cappielow and remains as the basis of the present day main stand

Ta.

That explains the legroom issue, a near Victorian stand that requires the spectator to have 'rickets' in order to sit comfortably.

10 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

10 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

More Boghead.

dfc5.JPG

John Watters and a guy who worked in Fruin Motors in Helensburgh who was a steward at the time (can't remember his name). This looks like the hoisting of the 1991-92 second division title flag.

I believe it's actually the largest terraced "end" in Scotland. I would guess the Cowshed is probably bigger, though it is partially seated now isn't it?

The remaining terrace on the Cowshed is bigger overall. Which isn't surprising given that it technically runs along the full length of the pitch (although the corner section is very rarely used).

John Watters and a guy who worked in Fruin Motors in Helensburgh who was a steward at the time (can't remember his name). This looks like the hoisting of the 1991-92 second division title flag.

I have a feeling that his name is John Stevenson. I think there were two stewards of that name at the time.

Why on earth did Alloa knock that down? I realise they have the terrible gazebo stand there now, but there was definitely an interim period with nothing running down that touchline, in the Second Division circa 2006?
Alloa is terrible ground now for the away fans. Home terrace always looks good though.

One of the coldest places on Earth on a winters Wednesday night along with Gayfield. Freezing, both of them.