Old photos of your club

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Ok, I've got Burnett, McVeigh, McGuire, Russell and Gordon Hamilton. The others that you quote may well be right too although I don't remember them. There may even be others too?

TBH the Gordon Hamilton we had was a centre back around the late 70's/early 80's, big guy with an affro and I'm assuming it's the same guy.

That sounds about right wrt Hamilton. Davie Shanks signed for us in about 1989, but was swapped out again without ever playing for the 1st XI. I think we got 'Saucy' Jim Cowell in return.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

Following my post earlier about going top of the Premier Division with a part time team, here are two incidents in December 79 which de-railed our season shortly after we'd dared to a challenge to the big guns.

First up - a home game against Rangers where Bobby Thomson fresh-air eye-to-eyed Sandy Jardine after a tackle. Jardine goes down clutching his face and Thomson is sent off. Much pandemonium ensues and the first case of crowd violence at Cappielow in years erupts (a smoke bomb was thrown onto the pitch). Standing at the front of the Sinclair Streeet end at the age of 7 seeing unconscious bodies being carried past me was not what I expected at a football match. Rangers won 1-0 with a goal which seemed marginally offside. Apologies for the quality of the photo.

Thomson red card 2.jpg

Two weeks later, we are at Parkhead. With the game at 1-1, Celtic's Dom Sullivan leaves the park, comes back on and scores from an absurdly offside position. The whole team loses it and pursues the referee, many of them booked. Jim Holmes was sent off for swearing at the linesman, and Celtic go on to win 3-1.

1979.12.22 Celtic 3-1 Morton photos.jpg

Our season never recovered and we ended up sixth.

19 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That sounds about right wrt Hamilton. Davie Shanks signed for us in about 1989, but was swapped out again without ever playing for the 1st XI. I think we got 'Saucy' Jim Cowell in return.

That would sense as Jim Cowell signed for us in 1989,unreal to think he only played 12 games in 2 years,I thought he played more than that.

Finally for now - I'm sceptical whether these actually are photos from the game in question but they appear in articles about it.

Fog of "pea-souper" proportions proves no barrier to the Edinburgh derby on 1st January 1940.

As was traditional Hibs & Hearts met on New Year's Day 1940: on this occasion in the SFL Eastern Division introduced in response to the war emergency.

Despite visibility reduced to 10 feet the match got underway with 14,000 supporters in the ground (and presumably hoping for plenty of action down the wings). More worryingly for the authorities the game was scheduled for live radio broadcast - and so ditching the coverage would have alerted the Luftwaffe to ideal conditions over Edinburgh and the Forth. A chain of runners was setup from pitchside to the commentary box to relay information to the commentator, but this proved futile as barely anything could be seen from the touchline either.

Accordingly the intrepid journalist simply invented the action, and regaled his listeners with 90 minutes of acrobatic shots, wonder saves, astonishing tackles and spectacular goals.

CXoY9qFWwAAS4db.jpg&key=12f4b9b287fb58e89322dd3f94d58640250c3f54b23021b2c86df7a82471cb31

CXjOUwYWQAAl_vh.jpg&key=ac6afc5d412e79c56e3b4c134e42cbdee855d52a372e657e2860543092739761

Truth can be stranger than fiction - the real-life game finished Hibs 5-6 Hearts, and should by all accounts rank as one of the great Edinburgh derbies. Rather unfortunate no-one saw anything of it.

Incidents included the ref blowing for HT 2mins early, one of the 'keepers being left on the pitch at FT, and it taking some fans 10mins to discover the game was over.

Commentator himself carried-on for 15mins before realising.

Truly another era.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/classic-match-hibs-v-hearts-new-year-s-day-1940-1-3253045

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/retro/228444/retro-football-war-effort-forces-bbc-to-commentate-on-imaginary-match-as-thick-fog-envelopes-hibs-hearts-derby-on-new-years-day-1940.html

http://www.scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1222

Well somebody's telling lies somewhere along the line

7dcc0c833ccd7891de401735971d6bfb.jpg

Even allowing for 35yrs of inflation, loving the prices in that shot from SFL Review in what was even then an all-seated Kilbowie Park... Stand ST £35, Uncovered ST £25 - Stand Admission £3, Uncovered Admission £2.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Jim Rodger - there's a blast from my past. I was born & bred a Son but went to school for 5 years in Clydebank, followed by 17 years in John Browns (where Jim Rodger worked). I miss the Bankies too.