Shoegaze Thread

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@the aggressive beggar @SweeperDee

If you are looking for some Pinkshinyultrablast https://pinkshinyultrablast.bandcamp.com/music

It doesn't look like they have released any new material since 2018.

Another St. Petersburg shoegaze / dream pop artist of interest are https://blankenberge.bandcamp.com/music most if not all their music is released as as download.

I've been listening to the music of Scott Cortez since 1999, the huge space left by the lack of MBV material made me look around for similar, never heard his musice ever played on radio, not even John Peel. Cortez has a few projects floating around one which is more dream pop called Lovesliescrushing which is also worth a listen. Also the name Pinkshinyultrablast is the name of an Astrobrite album from 2004.

Hard to get on vinyl or cd, some cds are selling for over £50 on E-bay from Japan. Good thing there is bandcamp page https://astrobrite.bandcamp.com/

Edited by Artie

They don't get much of a mention when the genre comes up. Spotlight Kid were one of the best artists in the early 2010's, Disaster Tourist was my introduction to them. As far as I know they are still going but not putting out much material and I'm hoping they resurface sometime soon. I picked 'All is Real' from the Disaster Tourist album and their cover of Dinosaur Jr's 'Budge Up' from their most recent album from 2014 Ten Thousand Hours.

Edited by Artie

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Going to see Flyying Colours at Broadcast in Glasgow in September. Love the new album.

I've missed so much good music over the last few years including Flyying Colours.

The track at the top of the page Wavygravy is the first track ever I've heard from them and I'm impressed. This is one of their first releases so looking forward to catching up to present day. I'll give the new album a play later on bandcamp see what its like.

• 2 weeks later...

New single from Slowdive’s album (Everything is Alive) which is to be released this month. The single was released a few weeks ago; I like it, not reinventing the wheel but it does what Slowdive does best. 

Tried getting gigs for their Glasgow show this year in August(?) but they sold out instantly, was impressed. Seemingly their fanbase over the years has got younger and younger which is not what you often see with Shoegaze bands.

Cover of a song which a band member performed with another band; it's an unreleased track from Slowdive. It's definitely a contender for the best shoegaze genre, arguably better than Only Shallow by MBV.

Swirlies were one of my favourite bands of all time, I still play their music. Bit of an enigma though, John Peel played many of the tracks of their first full length Blondertongueaudiobaton on his show and tried to get them in for a session but they never replied back. Ivo Watts Russell boss of 4AD Records was a fan and one of his regrets was along with Low was not signing them to the label. Although the Swirlies could be labeled shoegaze they sounded nothing like their contemporaries. Their main songwriter and lead vocalist Damon Tutunjian described their sound as chimp rock, going by the 'chimp' 'chimp' sound he would get out of his guitar set to quick tempo and sound changes. They would go from loud to quiet and then play fast then slow right down all the time giving of a DIY low-fi style. Problem with the Swirlies was that they never grew further than being a minor Boston band mainly due to as mentioned avoiding bigger labels and picking small local labels to release 7'' singles with only 500 copies. They could have been as big as Ride or Slowdive.

another band from late 90s/early 2000s. Really loved this album, saw them at Tuts.   Signed to Alan McGee's Poptones label. Definitely Ride influence going on here but maybe bit too melodic and not enough FX pedals to be truly Shoegaze...album is great though

cracking epic ending on this one...