Do you have a degree?

DA Baracus

43 minutes ago, throbber said:

The age limit for a statutory pension will probably be 70 by the time our generation get to that age. An absolutely depressing thought but the fact i knew when i graduated i would still have 35 more years of tough slogging ahead of me was one of the main reasons i went to uni despite having it in my head that i was too old for it when i was 24/25.

42 minutes ago, The DA said:

Not a maths degree then?

I took it he thought he was too old (for University) at 24/25, but then went to it when he was even older.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The DA said:

At what age do you think you finally lost your sense of humour, granda? :lol:

Probably about the time Dundee United were still relevant.

So, 30 years ago?

I took it he thought he was too old (for University) at 24/25, but then went to it when he was even older.

I meant I was early to mid twenties and making decent money and due to the company I kept I thought I was too old to go back in to education and it would be too long a time to go without earning decent money. Wanted a more interesting line of work as well so hopefully it all pays off in the next few years.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I meant I was early to mid twenties and making decent money and due to the company I kept I thought I was too old to go back in to education and it would be too long a time to go without earning decent money. Wanted a more interesting line of work as well so hopefully it all pays off in the next few years.

Settle it for us, throbber.  What age did you start university?

I had just turned 27 and had been travelling for 2 years nearly. Knew i would he 30 by time I graduated but as I said I have at least 35 years of work ahead of me unless the alcohol kills me before then of course!

Just now, throbber said:

I had just turned 27 and had been travelling for 2 years nearly. Knew i would he 30 by time I graduated but as I said I have at least 35 years of work ahead of me unless the alcohol kills me before then of course!

I rest my case, jacksgranda.

34 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

12 minutes ago, The DA said:

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

I have a Desmond in Psychology/Criminology from 2003 from the University of Glamorgan (don't go there). I'm also a University of Dundee Post Graduate (PGDE) drop out.

I generally found my degree quite boring and a waste of time BUT it got me out of Hereford and now I'm (finally) doing pretty well.

My advice is have a career plan at a young age and work towards it. I've done a lot of shite jobs because I didn't know what I wanted to do. However, I now have a pretty good job in London. Not necessarily one I love but I certainly don't dislike it. Also, the money is good and it keeps me on my toes.

Fair enough.  Case unrested.

It more furthers my point though as even if the age was 60 then 30 years of employment is still worth taking a few years out of working and a student loan to pay back if it means better earning potential and a bette quality of life.

Also it was nice that you knew my age off hand.

Just now, throbber said:

It more furthers my point though as even if the age was 60 then 30 years of employment is still worth taking a few years out of working and a student loan to pay back if it means better earning potential and a bette quality of life.

Also it was nice that you knew my age off hand.

It's all in the dossier.

I have a 2:1 MA in Psychology and Philosophy plus a PGDE in Secondary Education. I've followed a fairly straight path career wise and now have a job that ties in with what I studied at University. The only change I would make if I could go back would be to drop the Philosophy part and go for a Psychology degree with a view to becoming an Educational Psychologist.

My sister is an educational psychologist, from what she says there appears to be a national shortage of people with that expertise. Surely with that in mind, the joint honours would be enough to get into a PG doing just that?

Just musing really, as I've got a grand total of two years experience of fucking university up, and have no real idea what I'm talking about.

Archived