Scottish Islands

8MileBU

My fairly small island list got a bit of a boost last month with a short break on Harris (the backpackers hostel in Tarbert was OK, but £25 a night was wild considering the state of the place). 

• Day 1 - Climbed one of the Grahams on a scorching day (Uisgneabhal Mor) 
  • Day 2 - 35 mile bike ride along the Golden Road (stunning scenery), back to Tarbert then along to Scalpay
  • Day 3 - St Kilda! I've wanted to do this trip for years. Got better than forecast weather and it's worth every penny of the £260 boat trip
  • Day 4 - Across to stay in a farm hostel on North Uist. Out on the bikes again for a 45 mile out and back which bagged us seven islands. Not nearly as scenic as Harris but pretty cool

The Ferry journeys all went smoothly and the fry up on MV Hebrides was lovely. I thought cycling round these islands on single track roads would be an exercise in trying not to get wiped out by idiots in motorhomes, but the roads were all pretty quiet and in really good condition. 

• 3 weeks later...

New island for me today: Raasay. An island off an island off an island. 

Wonderful wee place. Dreadful weather today. On the ferry over the BBC weather app was promising a 100% chance of rain in the next hour, which cheered us right up.

But it was worth coming across regardless. Some of the views on the drive out to Arnish were spectacular. 

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't expect to be back in Shetland so soon as we were there last year, but we got an invite to a Golden Wedding. Made a week of it including a couple of days in Orkney. Managed to get a day off on my own to visit Fetlar again but the bird life was well down on last July.

Kirkwall was heaving with cruise ship tourists, and next day there were 2 ships due in. Luckily we had been in St Magnus Cathedral a couple of times before, we only spent 10 mins there as we were tripping over the c***s, or they were walking straight into us.

In the first shot is the Queens Hotel in Lerwick at 7am, then the beach left of that, then Jimmy Perez's hoose... the last shot is passing west of Fair Isle on the way to Orkney.

IMG_9260.thumb.JPG.f62b1babf2196807f523cb5681c019e3.JPG

R5__5600.thumb.jpg.e52a88881f0f6e81c0543ceea31315e2.jpg

R5__5647.thumb.JPG.03076ad977599c46c0e0294f38744570.JPG

DJI_0579.thumb.JPG.76ecf438de2a5b789c1d55bb42f36de7.JPG

IMG_9296.thumb.JPG.f939a7357c26061a0b642231135b91c7.JPG