Scottish Islands

8MileBU

1 hour ago, EH75 said:

Off to Islay last week of October for 3 nights. Any recommendations for what to do at that time of year? Got the laphroig tour already booked and gonna try and do a tasting session at Lagavulin and maybe visit some other distilleries but considering the wife doesn't actually like whisky I should probably plan some other stuff.... 

I’m here to offer to help carry your bags!

October is a great time to visit. The tourist season has calmed down, the place empties out, I think it’s at its best in the Winter actually (but I like dramatic stormy beaches and then warming up in distilleries after!).

By October, the wintering birds (barnacle geese especially) will be back from the frozen north for their season. You won’t miss them if you go to the north or west of Islay in particular.

Why not combine your Laphroaig day with a trip to Kildalton Cross and lunch at Ardbeg cafe? Or walk the three distilleries path from Port Ellen out to Ardbeg. There’s a bus every hour or so as well.

If you have time to visit some beaches, but not many, I’d go first to Machir Bay near Kilchoman distillery (which handily will do you a lunch as well).

If you drive down to Portnahaven/Port Wemyss you will definitely see seals by the dozen. There’s a nice wee pub in Portnahaven too. Or Port Charlotte hotel on way there or back.

If your wife doesn’t like whisky, does she like gin? The visitor centre at Bruichladdich will do you a lovely G&T using their Botanist gin, and they also do a gin distillery tour.

Or might she like soaps and smelly stuff? Islay Soaps on Bowmore beside Co-Op is great for wee gifts, and the owner is extremely friendly. The wee Spar around the corner has the most extraordinary whisky collection for sale you will ever see.

Lunch at Machrie Hotel is good but expensive, especially Sunday roast. Albeit under new ownership this year since I visited at Easter, so it may have changed. The walk from that hotel over the golf course and onto the Long Strand beach is excellent. That beach runs for six miles or so!

There’s a tonne of other stuff I could recommend but I realise in three days you can only do so much.

Oh, best coffee/cake/toasties on the island and the friendliest welcome from the old locals who will be there is at Bruichladdich Mini Market.

I hope you enjoy it! I go at least once a year, often more, and some of my happiest lifetime memories have happened there. 

Do try to get round as many beaches as you can. There’s some real stunners and they look their best with huge waves and a glowering sky!

The distilleries are almost always worth a visit on a dreich day. Many of them have a cafe or will at least do you a cuppa.

Also the wartime history of Islay is extraordinary. Two naval disasters recently had their centenary commemorated. The museum in Port Charlotte is worth seeing if that is of interest to you. The walk out to the American Monument on the Mull of Oa is unforgettable (but mucky).

Hope that gives you some ideas, but if there’s anything in particular you are interested in give me a shout and I’ll happily try to help point you.

And don’t forget the Islay Wave! You will end up giving a wee wave to cars as they go past as you drive about. It’s mandatory and life-affirming actually, they are generally amongst the friendliest people I can think of in this country.

Thats incredibly helpful, thanks so much! We will be staying Port Ellen area but will have the car so will try and get round a few of your recommendations. It's our first time visiting the islands, something I've been keen to do for a while so I am very much looking forward to it and hoping to get round a few more of them in the coming years.