Alloa Athletic FC V Airdrieonians FC

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really no idea what to expect today.  

Having McGregor back is a massive boost but our team has so many weak links it is unbelievable, not least the one in the dugout.

My fear is that regardless of the round pegs we'll again go with a long ball, wingerless 442.   No Conroy due to suspension leaves us short of a quality in midfield but essentially Dalzilson wants to bypass the midfield anyways.

Personally, as always, I'm looking for the win.   I still think we have players capable of winning most weeks.   I certainly wouldn't be playing the neandrathal 442 - certainly not in the fashion that Dalzilson is.

No idea if Leitch is back or not today.  

I'd be hesitant to ever play Gorman in central defence in a back 4 again.  I hate seeing the weak McDonald at left back in a 4 and never in a 3.   I'd hate to see Brown or Russell wide left in a midfield 4.   Stewart also defends poorly at right back and right wing back.

Personally I'd go something like;

ROHAN

MCGREGOR MENSING GORMAN

MCINTOSH HUTTON STEWART MCDONALD

BROWN (OR LEITCH)

RYAN AND MCKAY (OR RUSSELL)

Compact but dangerous attacking.  Free role for Brown a la Harvey years ago.  Hutton to sit in midfield and let Stewart essentially press on.   Mensing free at the back and Gorman strictly marking only duties.  

On 22/02/2017 at 23:46, falkirkwasp said:

Looking forward to this one, airdrie on a poor run i think its fair to say.

Same line up as saturday for me, no1 put a foot wrong.

He may well opt for the same team as last week, try and stay strong defensively and build from there.

I'd argue against the same approach though. No disrespect meant, but I'd say Airdrie are a better, certainly more dangerous team going forward than Queens Park.

I still don't agree with leaving your best players on the bench. We have touted the Marr situation on here, but you can at least lay some case that McKeown is like for like. Cawley and Flannigan though, certainly not. I can't think of a club in world football that regularly leaves their best players on the bench. Credit to the manager for last week- very professional display where everything went to plan. But it still remains a concern for me if he doesn't start either (or both) of those players mentioned today.

I think we will stick with 2 up top today so that leaves even less scope for either to get in the starting lineup.

My interpretation on Jim leaving out our more creative players was to try to prevent losing the first goal which was hurting us week in week out. There is no doubt Jim has painted himself into a corner regards centre defence. Jason has made a few clangers throughout the season but he is a better all round defender than Frank.

I don't think Kevin has been as effective as others have articulated and believe Flanny has not been as good since being out injured. They will still play their part, perhaps with one starting today.

I like two up front. We need to play Greig and giving him someone to share the load with is no bad thing.

Manager said this coming week was going to be a test of the squad depth so I'd expect even if we name the same 11 today as last week that will be different for the East Fife and Brechin games.

Expect to see more Jim Ranieri 'tinkering' 

we could have been/should have been 3 up in the first fifteen minutes, but credit to airdrie , they came back into it well and nearly punished us

second half teams cancelled each other out , nervy last 10 minutes though but settle for the result , nice wee gap now and a good result against EF

and we are in a good place !

Sack Dalziel and Wilson.   Utter fucking rubbish yet again

They shouldn't have been appointed in the first place but sadly I think they'll last out the season. I hope I'm wrong but their sacking now would leave TW thinking he would be admitting he's made one mistake too many.

They will definitely get to the end of the season, I think come the end of the season though dalziel will go an experienced number 2 will get brought in. Wilson needs a chance to build his own squad and have a pre season.

Andrew Graham. Unbelievable. Two goals from a centre back & won absolutely everything at the back. Totally dominant!

Thought it was strange that Spence went off at half time. Left Mackin very isolated up top and very difficult for him to do much. However, Hetherington brought so much energy to midfield. That tackle summing up his great performance.

A fantastic win overall & much needed! Positive start to this massive week. Credit to Jim & the boys.

Ps. Anyone else notice the new tannoy announcer? [emoji14]

4 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Ps. Anyone else notice the new tannoy announcer? emoji14.png

Was he pushed , or did he fall?

Seriously though i thought that was Frank mckeown best shift for us to date , he must be pleased with himself going from relegation threatened stranraer reserves to alloa's playoff contender first team! he needed a bit of confidence and i see it coming , some nice touches from stefan but nothing really worked from that side of the park today, surprised at spence being pulled at half time too ? but as they are now saying "In Goodie we trust".

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

we could have been/should have been 3 up in the first fifteen minutes, but credit to airdrie , they came back into it well and nearly punished us

second half teams cancelled each other out , nervy last 10 minutes though but settle for the result , nice wee gap now and a good result against EF

and we are in a good place !

I agree with you for that start and I do wonder where the Airdrie defence went as high balls came in, especially not marking the No 4 at the first goal which led to Grahams goal. The goalie was also posted missing at No 2 and I wondered how Spence missed the header. Thought Airdrie were then the better side for the rest of the half and should have evened it up on several occasions. You are right about the second half and I thought we might just scramble in an equalizer but that just about sums up our recent huffing and puffing. Your good place looks like finishing 2nd and all the others struggling to stay ahead of Stranraer! Play offs could affect everyone at top and bottom. Thank goodness Brechin are as bad as us.

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree with you for that start and I do wonder where the Airdrie defence went as high balls came in, especially not marking the No 4 at the first goal which led to Grahams goal. The goalie was also posted missing at No 2 and I wondered how Spence missed the header. Thought Airdrie were then the better side for the rest of the half and should have evened it up on several occasions. You are right about the second half and I thought we might just scramble in an equalizer but that just about sums up our recent huffing and puffing. Your good place looks like finishing 2nd and all the others struggling to stay ahead of Stranraer! Play offs could affect everyone at top and bottom. Thank goodness Brechin are as bad as us.

Far worse I would say (brechin).  as you say you had some good spells , goodwin has changed the side to make us a bit better in defence and we have cut out giving away cheap goals

Just now, whereismillar said:

Far worse I would say (brechin).  as you say you had some good spells , goodwin has changed the side to make us a bit better in defence and we have cut out giving away cheap goals

Thanks for info. If only we could stop giving away cheap goals. I think we are the second worst to Stenny? Have strong doubts about our management set up but think we are stuck with them for the rest of their contracts. Full time "disappointing" report expected from Mark. Was Gordon at the game?

Both centre backs were really good today and good to see the stupid mistakes which were costing us goals and games not appearing anymore.

Wonder if Spence was injured? Took a knock last week which I assume forced him off then and maybe wasn't fully fit today? Half time seemed a really strange time to take him off. Suppose just before half time Airdrie were really on top so maybe could've been tactical and perhaps worked because can't remember them creating any chances second half although we didn't either.

Archived