Mwell v St J (18/3/17)

Skippy was hauled down in the box but the fact he is a cheating wee b*****d and goes down easily at every opportunity will go against him. How he missed that open goal I don't know. He has that bit in him. He is our best player but I've lost count of the amount of times he should have burst the net only for him to fluff a shot or miss the target.

Looks to me like he senses Easton behind him, backs up quickly and drops in an attempt to con the ref. Never a penalty.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McDonalds a diving rat, tbh. Much like Cummins he loves to back into folk then throw himself down. 

I'd be screaming for a penalty in the Cadden incident though

Although he looks pretty awful on the ball I have a feeling that Jules is going to come onto a game. He's certainly improved the last few games.

ETA I agree with whoever it was that said Cadden has been off the boil. I'd drop/rest him for a few games but I'm not sure if Robinson trusts Ainsworth or Hastie to step up.

Thinking about Robinson commenting on our injury issues prior to the game and him saying we'd need to take a look at why it's happened over the international break it got me wondering, historically as a club have we ever really looked at the free agent market? I can't think of anyone off hand.

With McManus and Tait seemingly out for the season along with McHugh, Heneghan & Jules all having been carrying injuries not to mention McMillan & Chalmers form having gone off a cliff, remarkable in the case of the latter then IDK if a free agent might be something we'd look at?

We're still short of a goalkeeping coach as well. I'd hope having a Robinson confirmed permanently will allow us to get some sort of plan in place.

Pleased to see Frear looks like he's made an impact. He said himself when he signed that it'd take him a few weeks to get used to the step up. My concern with him from the brief glimpses was that he seemed quite lightweight but from the highlights he seemed to contribute.

That Bowman header is unreal. An inch further to the inside of the post and it's a goal.

Thinking about Robinson commenting on our injury issues prior to the game and him saying we'd need to take a look at why it's happened over the international break it got me wondering, historically as a club have we ever really looked at the free agent market? I can't think of anyone off hand.

With McManus and Tait seemingly out for the season along with McHugh, Heneghan & Jules all having been carrying injuries not to mention McMillan & Chalmers form having gone off a cliff, remarkable in the case of the latter then IDK if a free agent might be something we'd look at?

I could be wrong but didn't we sign Craig Reid as a free agent outwith either of the transfer windows?

What's Tony Straker up to these days...?

ETA I agree with whoever it was that said Cadden has been off the boil. I'd drop/rest him for a few games but I'm not sure if Robinson trusts Ainsworth or Hastie to step up.

Hastie's left sided rather than right and his form has dipped a bit for the 20s since he's been asked to play as the 2nd striker in the 352. He was always left of the front 3 or wide left in a 442 previously.

I'd have thought if anyone would step in for Cadden it'd be Campbell tbh.

39 minutes ago, LondonHibsFan said:

Watched the highlights on YouTube, what on earth is that stewarding about? :lol:

fullsizeoutput_751.thumb.jpeg.9762006c314b7c59db13e0004e67689b.jpeg

Just that we don't have clue how to arrange the stewarding/away stand management for a match of just over 3000 fans

Hope we have the same approach for the Green Brigade next season if by some miracle we stay up !!!!!

1 hour ago, LondonHibsFan said:

Watched the highlights on YouTube, what on earth is that stewarding about? :lol:

The see the chance to assert their authority on a bunch of schoolkids so take it, as it'll make up for when they shitebag out of doing anything when the Old Firm visit.

My six year old daughter asked me why there were 3 vans full of coppers pulling up to the away end as we arrived at the ground yesterday. She looked a tad worried . I had absolutely no answer to that. Total nonsense. 

We also had to walk through a barrier of about 15 stewards and police at the gate. Doesn't exactly make you feel welcome. 

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Did the Saints singing section/ultras/Congo Army get moved at half time?

They left of their own accord apparently, they've made the "heavy hands, empty stands" point a lot, and in fairness to them they seem to stick by their word, and considering they could barely stand yesterday without being shouted at by a steward, its not hard to support them in it.

11 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I'd be happy for Campbell to start to be honest. What is up with Lee Lucas?

Injury prone/not very good, take your pick. Still seems to be living off one good performance against Ross County about 5 months ago.

Said after his ridiculous red card against Accies I wouldn't bother renewing his contract and I've seen nothing since to suggest that was overly harsh. Rarely fit and when he is, Ross County game aside, I've seen little to get excited about. Was worth a punt for 6 months but with Campbell's performance in that Accies game, along with McHugh's return from injury and Pearson's re-signing he should have never have had his contract renewed. 

On a similar note, it's fucking criminal that Campbell hasn't had a single minute of football since that game. Then again our hole youth development policy seems to have taken a backseat since the turn of the year so it's not a huge surprise I suppose.

Injury prone/not very good, take your pick. Still seems to be living off one good performance against Ross County about 5 months ago.

Said after his ridiculous red card against Accies I wouldn't bother renewing his contract and I've seen nothing since to suggest that was overly harsh. Rarely fit and when he is, Ross County game aside, I've seen little to get excited about. Was worth a punt for 6 months but with Campbell's performance in that Accies game, along with McHugh's return from injury and Pearson's re-signing he should have never have had his contract renewed. 

On a similar note, it's fucking criminal that Campbell hasn't had a single minute of football since that game. Then again our whole youth development policy seems to have taken a backseat since the turn of the year so it's not a huge surprise I suppose.

Thing is, if you look at Lucas' record when he was involved in the team around the turn of the year it coincided with some alright results. Which isn't to say he played well or that he was integral to it but he played 42 mins off the bench in the 0-0 with Killie, 31' in the 1-1 against St Johnstone then we won 2 of the next 4 he started (ICT & Ross County), he was obviously sent of in the Accies game so you can't really give him any sort of credit for the 1-1 draw except to say we could easily have won it had we kept 11 on the park and we were well beaten by Aberdeen at Fir Park.

Again none of that is much to write home about nor is it intended as a defence of him but it's difficult not to see him being hooked at half time in the 7-2 at Pittodrie and the fact that he's not kicked a ball for the first team since as seeming significant. The only football he's played since was the u20s 3-2 defeat to Dunfermline where he was papped down to the dev side along with Ainsworth.

Fwiw, I think the "injury prone" tag Lucas has is a bit of a misconception. Obviously it's an easy label to give him based on the serious injuries he had a Swansea but he's been available for selection in 18 of our 28 league games this season. By no means a perfect record but equally nowhere near as bad as the sick-note reputation he seems to have.

13 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, free agents at this point, there's got to be something wrong with them. We did well with Reid (to an extent) and Ojamaa from that sort of market, but you've got to imagine that they're an exception rather than a rule. We knew about Reid already, and had looked at him in the summer. Last year Dundee United went after and got Gunning, Demel, Riski, Kawashima and Pongolle, and all five were absolutely w**k for them.

Robinson did suggest he might be looking at having Tait back for the game after Ibrox in his post match interview, which would be a massive bonus. Lining up against Accies with Tait, Heneghan, McHugh/Ferguson and Hammell would be a bit of a step in the right direction. We've got four games left until the split, and two at least, are 'must win', and if we can scrape a draw in Maryhill as well, we'll just about survive.

Is McManus injured or has he Iain Vigurs'd it, do we reckon?

29 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tbf, free agents at this point, there's got to be something wrong with them. We did well with Reid (to an extent) and Ojamaa from that sort of market, but you've got to imagine that they're an exception rather than a rule. We knew about Reid already, and had looked at him in the summer. Last year Dundee United went after and got Gunning, Demel, Riski, Kawashima and Pongolle, and all five were absolutely w**k for them.

Robinson did suggest he might be looking at having Tait back for the game after Ibrox in his post match interview, which would be a massive bonus. Lining up against Accies with Tait, Heneghan, McHugh/Ferguson and Hammell would be a bit of a step in the right direction. We've got four games left until the split, and two at least, are 'must win', and if we can scrape a draw in Maryhill as well, we'll just about survive.

Is McManus injured or has he Iain Vigurs'd it, do we reckon?

Quite. I hadn't realised that Tait might be back, I was still going by the "out for the season" reports. Seems my information was out of date. Totally agree, him being back would be massive. Given McManus had barely missed a game through injury since he'd been at the club I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's also got a year left of his deal after this season whereas Vigurs was simply winding down his contract til summer.

Given we've just come out of a run of games where our most 2 of our first choice back 5 have been in for operations and we've had a back 3 starting who hadn't actually trained in the week building up to the games then it's hardly an ideal situation. Assuming we're able to grind out a few wins and stay up then if nothing else I'd hope that this run has been a proper eye-opener as to the deficiencies defensively. None of the gambles we've made this season have paid off; from sticking with Samson through 2 transfer windows, a reliance on McManus as the sole experienced centre half and leaving ourselves with the Hammell/SuperJoe choice at left back has really come back to bite us.

Hopefully the injuries clear up but having watched the u20s try (and fail quite miserably) to play a back 3 last week against a Thistle side who were probably just out of school then there's not a lot of encouraging signs that they'd be likely to step up any time soon.

Watched the highlights and I'm about to do the unthinkable.

I'm defending Craig Samson.

I am in no way saying Samson is a fantastic keeper. He's a bit pish for the most part. However, he's now a complete scapegoat despite him not really doing anything wrong in the last few weeks.

The ironic cheers whenever he does anything are helping absolutely nobody. He's probably short on confidence already with compounding it with that.

Archived