Grief Culture

Torpar

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, throbber said:

My girlfriends work had a minute silence for the Manchester and the London attacks. They just stopped working in the office and stood in silence for a minute and then went back to work.

That's usually the way a minute silence works, in my experience.

I offended someone when mother Teresa died saying that Elton John was releasing a tribute single 'sandles in the bin'. Since then I just keep political views quiet and engage in any silence as it's less working.

I offended someone when mother Teresa died saying that Elton John was releasing a tribute single 'sandles in the bin'. Since then I just keep political views quiet and engage in any silence as it's less working.

Ah yes Mother Teresa who enjoyed getting an orgasm in her sleep so much she had a statue built to commemorate it.

59 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Loved that joke

14 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Ah yes Mother Teresa who enjoyed getting an orgasm in her sleep so much she had a statue built to commemorate it.

What's this now?

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia endorses this thread
saudi%20australia.PNG

What was that all about? I'm quite a kind, sensitive soul but when I go to the football I want to forget about the world for a bit. Silences/applauses are so commonplace now they are meaningless.

The Saudia Arabia team didn't stand still and be quiet for a minute before their game against Australia.

Apparently it's massively disrespectful blah blah blah boring pish shite.

Agree that there are so many silences/applauses etc that they are meaningless.

What was that all about? I'm quite a kind, sensitive soul but when I go to the football I want to forget about the world for a bit. Silences/applauses are so commonplace now they are meaningless.

Nope, not allowed.

You must always have the dead at the forefront of your mind. Always.

Nope, not allowed.

You must always have the dead at the forefront of your mind. Always.

I lost a few friends and close family over the last couple of years and not once did I think it could make them less dead if there was some clapping or silence at a football game. The only time recently grief really gripped me was when El Bak signed for Dundee. Missus wanted to send me for counselling.

33 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I lost a few friends and close family over the last couple of years and not once did I think it could make them less dead if there was some clapping or silence at a football game. The only time recently grief really gripped me was when El Bak signed for Dundee. Missus wanted to send me for counselling.

She's been wanting that since before El Bak's sad departure though

I was working in the tax office in Cumbernauld when the July 7 attacks in London happened. Everyone in my department got brought together as the manager solemnly told us what had happened. It was very quiet and sombre but I noticed a guy I was pals with had a bit of a smirk on his face, he then leaned over to me and put on a Winston Churchill voice and said 'We shall fight them on the beaches' I couldn't help myself I burst out laughing. It wasn't that funny but was so wildly inappropriate at that moment I couldn't help myself. I was given death stares by about 40 middle aged women and I just stared at the ground for a long time after

Thinking back I don't think there was a minutes silence after those attacks, it's the last 5 years that craze seems to have crept into the worplace. I was at Stirling Uni when the Queen Mum died and a minutes silence was held in the atrium for the pickled old bat I walked through on the way to a tutorial and bizarrely it was all the Asian, mostly Japanese, students that were observing it.

2 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I was working in the tax office in Cumbernauld when the July 7 attacks in London happened. Everyone in my department got brought together as the manager solemnly told us what had happened. It was very quiet and sombre but I noticed a guy I was pals with had a bit of a smirk on his face, he then leaned over to me and put on a Winston Churchill voice and said 'We shall fight them on the beaches' I couldn't help myself I burst out laughing. It wasn't that funny but was so wildly inappropriate at that moment I couldn't help myself. I was given death stares by about 40 middle aged women and I just stared at the ground for a long time after

Thinking back I don't think there was a minutes silence after those attacks, it's the last 5 years that craze seems to have crept into the worplace. I was at Stirling Uni when the Queen Mum died and a minutes silence was held in the atrium for the pickled old bat I walked through on the way to a tutorial and bizarrely it was all the Asian, mostly Japanese, students that were observing it.

How disappointing that Stirling students behaved in this way, with their legendary previous anti royal actions.

2 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Did you know a big lad that ate Wotsits when you were there?

Archived