Grief Culture

Torpar

My girlfriends work had a minute silence for the Manchester and the London attacks. They just stopped working in the office and stood in silence for a minute and then went back to work.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We did that for the Manchester attack. Haven't been in since the London ones.

I'm not on the run, or anything like that. Just to clarify.

Is that in an office I take it? It just sounds so awkward and completely meaningless. Imagine just stopping in your day then sitting for a minute in silence with the people you see at work every day and then just going back to work again after, what is the actual point in it? Nobody out with the office is going to witness this mark of respect so it's not as if it's showing your company up in a good light it just sounds incredibly weird and unnecessary.

You know, there's a section of our population, encouraged by the media, which actually enjoys these tragedies. Probably craves the next one to repeat all the clichéd resilience nonsense.

You know, there's a section of our population, encouraged by the media, which actually enjoys these tragedies. Probably craves the next one to repeat all the clichéd resilience nonsense.

I don't know if I believe that they enjoy tragedies or want them to happen, I just think they see something happen and immediately think about themselves and how they can show the world how it effects them.

Even with how much of a c**t Katie Hopkins is, I still don't believe she wants these things to happen and I don't think she is licking her lips every time they do.

My girlfriends work had a minute silence for the Manchester and the London attacks. They just stopped working in the office and stood in silence for a minute and then went back to work.

We observed the minutes silence after Manchester. Unfortunately I was away for a shite when the secretary informed everyone in advance, and I then ruined the moment by stating that a client was "a c**t of the highest order".

Sent from my HTC One mini using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I can't help but think that those embodied in grief culture never really got "The thick of it"!

Perhaps that's just the cynic in me but I do wonder if Bradley or Wee Jays parents ever feel their sons illnesses are being exploited by people and organisations that pay a lot of money in the desperate search for good PR.

Case examples being Graham Taylor & George Michael where their good deeds were only made public after they had died.

19 minutes ago, sjc said:

I can't help but think that those embodied in grief culture never really got "The thick of it"!

Perhaps that's just the cynic in me but I do wonder if Bradley or Wee Jays parents ever feel their sons illnesses are being exploited by people and organisations that pay a lot of money in the desperate search for good PR.

Case examples being Graham Taylor & George Michael where their good deeds were only made public after they had died.

I miss The Thick Of It. I sat and watched every episode one Sunday while I nursed a hangover and couldn't believe I hadn't watched it before. True story.

"Terri, when I want your advice, I'll give you the special signal - which will be me being sectioned under the Mental Health Act". 

Fucking brilliant.

We observed the minutes silence after Manchester. Unfortunately I was away for a shite when the secretary informed everyone in advance, and I then ruined the moment by stating that a client was "a c**t of the highest order".

Sent from my HTC One mini using Pie and Bovril mobile app

And how did that go down? Did you get demonised for disrespecting the dead?

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It's more worrying that the secretary in the poster's work announced in advance that he was away for a shite.

I bet you would be too busy at work to be able to observe a minute silence. 

We were given no warning of the minute's silence for London this week. An announcement "there will now be a minute's silence" came over the tannoy when half a dozen folk around me were in the middle of moderately important conference calls. Most of them hung up but one lass doggedly kept on going. She either didn't hear the announcement or just DIDN'T CARE.

I spend my day at work making a point of keeping human interaction to the barest minimum, so it didn't really affect me.

Can't you just have a minutes silence on your own time, if you desperately feel that it's necessary? Which it is, you can feel sympathy or whatever without having a stop everything you're doing.

Maybe the country should have had a minutes applause,followed by a big roar at the end.

We had a minutes silence in our office the other day for the London attack. The fire alarm signaled the start, much like a referees whistle. Then it ended with another ten second sound of the alarm. We have them tested once a week anyway, so suppose it fitted in quite nicely. 

We always have them. Unfortunately none of the clocks or PCs are accurately synchronised, so we have a sort of Mexican wave of partial silence. Interspersed with people too "busy" to have read the email or too stupid to have understood it.

21 hours ago, throbber said:

My boyfriend was telling me that his work had a minutes silence for Manchester last week.

They didn't tell anyone it was happening so bang on 11am there was a tannoy announcement that the minutes silence was starting. Those that heard it went silent but then after 20 seconds or so, the tannoy came on again (obviously by mistake) and said again that the minutes silence was starting, so the silence started again. When the time was almost up, the tannoy went off agaibn, saying the silence was starting, so it went again.

They ended up having three minutes of silence and he was telling me that he and one of his workmates were struggling to keep a straight face by this point but couldn't look anywhere because they'd burst out laughing at the shambles it was.

Was working in a call centre on Sept 11 2007 and a female colleague was outraged that we weren't having a minutes silence for the NYC terror attacks six years earlier.

Thinking back, she may have actually left her desk to observe a solo minutes silence while everyone else continued working.

1 minute ago, Markka said:

Was working in a call centre on Sept 11 2007 and a female colleague was outraged that we weren't having a minutes silence for the NYC terror attacks six years earlier.

Thinking back, she may have actually left her desk to observe a solo minutes silence while everyone else continued working.

She cared fucking hundreds more than the rest of you.

Archived