Forfar Vs Berwick

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22 March 2017 at 23:06, loon74 said:

You can now see why GARY got rid of Kerr and signed that striker till the end of the season , GARY knows what he's doing emoji85.pngemoji24.png

What is the point of us having a development squad?

Is McCawl any better than Paul Smith. Aiden Malone better than Kerr Hay. McLaughlin that much better than Kennedy.

Gary likes HIS new striker so much he likes to keep him on the bench beside him for 90mins.

As for Saturday Gary WILL select the same 11 as started against Elgin if all are fit or in Swankies case half fit !

This Saturday afternoon sees two out-of-form teams square off as Forfar Athletic play host to Berwick Rangers in the 30th round of League 2.

The home team have taken three points from their last 5 games, with two losses (including a 3-2 defeat to tomorrow's visiting team) complementing three draws. The Loons' last win came against Arbroath on the 4th of February, some seven weeks ago. Despite this bad run, Bollan's boys are still in first, with the Red Lichties breathing down their necks on a one point deficit and playing Montrose this weekend. With the next two fixtures seeing Forfar away at in-form Stirling and at home versus Arbroath, tomorrow's match is a must-win.

Berwick can't seem to string wins together this season, with League victories always followed with draws or defeats; this spotty form has seen strong performances against the likes of Annan and a scrappy win v. Clyde overshadowed by dreadful performances against Cowdenbeath (breaking the Blue Brazil's losing streak) and throwing away two points in the last minutes of the game v. Stirling. The Dream Team have taken four points from the last five matches, and can be overtaken in the standings by Clyde and City, however unlikely that may seem considering fixtures against Stirling and Elgin respectively. Berwick sits 6 points behind 6th placed Montrose and 6 ahead of tenth placed Cowdenbeath.

Black and gold beat the two shades of blue 3 to 2 the last time they met (18th of February), with Forfar winning 2-0 during the Berwick's last visit to Station Park (the 12th of November last year). Given the visitors' light blue away number, expect both teams to be clad in their home garb.

58d4fcf1e41f5_forfar_athletic_2016-2017-1st1.gif.94e89c8361f836622ab0f90308c73407.gif58d4fd2badc42_6186463074_3bf2dcb0741.jpg.30a1c42415bbb7c3feab0eba8d5c627e.jpg58d4fd66d4f2c_berwick_rangers_2016-2017-1st1.gif.fa2a2ae970f71b271822667af6d8c289.gif

Is McCawl any better than Paul Smith. Aiden Malone better than Kerr Hay. McLaughlin that much better than Kennedy.

Not seen Paul Smith but Muzza certainly played well  in centre mid for the 20s at points last season.

I guess Gary is the same as any other manager and he'll have his favourites - particularly ones he's brought to the club, rather than ones who were already here.  It certainly took Danny until October to fully establish himself in the starting lineup.  Also, regardless of how many mistakes made or penalties conceded, Bain seems undroppable (not saying I would have him out the team either but other players appear to have been dropped for less)

So, yes, basically agreeing with you but fear that in football, the favourites will always win out and our youngsters may have to move away (like Kerr linking up with SP again) in order to fully realise their potential. 

I cannot see any of the current crop making the breakthrough under the current management, obviously Kerr has gone Kennedy isn't fancied, Yates has disappeared, Aiken and Gill have potential , Murray and Devine are the 2 that should be on the bench but seldom do, maybe it has run it's course, that would be a real shame i feel.

Gary likes HIS new striker so much he likes to keep him on the bench beside him for 90mins.
As for Saturday Gary WILL select the same 11 as started against Elgin if all are fit or in Swankies case half fit !

McLaughlin is miles better than Kennedy.

4 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

McLaughlin is miles better than Kennedy.

Is Miles Better more than 'that much better' ? 

Personnally, I would have preferred to have seen Smith Hay and Kennedy all being allowed to develop to their full potential . At least they look like they were proud to wear the jersey.

Is Miles Better more than 'that much better' ? 
Personnally, I would have preferred to have seen Smith Hay and Kennedy all being allowed to develop to their full potential . At least they look like they were proud to wear the jersey.

Yep, miles better is more than "that much better" hence why his parent club is a top flight club.
That said, I do like Kennedy and couldn't understand why Bain was played out of position to fill the LB roll when he was no better than Kennedy in that position.
Smith was clearly well out of his depth when he played for the full team but Kennedy and Hay showed enough to get, at the very least, a run out as a sub.

Yep, miles better is more than "that much better" hence why his parent club is a top flight club.
That said, I do like Kennedy and couldn't understand why Bain was played out of position to fill the LB roll when he was no better than Kennedy in that position.
Smith was clearly well out of his depth when he played for the full team but Kennedy and Hay showed enough to get, at the very least, a run out as a sub.

Kennedy gets found out defensively every time he plays

1 minute ago, Bogs_Dollox said:

Kennedy gets found out defensively every time he plays

Yep he does, ball over his head and he tries to header it and doesn't get anywhere near, that is his MO frailty.  But he also shows potential and a certain ability to come through poor first half performances and turn in a very good second half.

To me, that's a quite impressive trait, most defenders would go into their shell after initially having a nightmare start.

Bain was frequently found out defensively at left back too, as well as putting a developing LB in there to learn from the mistakes rather than a RB that wont get a regular spot at LB.

Yep he does, ball over his head and he tries to header it and doesn't get anywhere near, that is his MO frailty.  But he also shows potential and a certain ability to come through poor first half performances and turn in a very good second half.
To me, that's a quite impressive trait, most defenders would go into their shell after initially having a nightmare start.

Bain was frequently found out defensively at left back too, as well as putting a developing LB in there to learn from the mistakes rather than a RB that wont get a regular spot at LB.

He's just not for me . Don't rate him .

6 minutes ago, Bogs_Dollox said:

He's just not for me . Don't rate him .

Fair do's.  Would love to see some of these guys break through though.  I agree with Jupiter about MacKintosh, I thought he had a few slips but showed enough to be a real prospect.

Fair do's.  Would love to see some of these guys break through though.  I agree with Jupiter about MacKintosh, I thought he had a few slips but showed enough to be a real prospect.

Aye it's all a bit pointless if we have a youth team and then never see any of these guys again. Always hearing about how the good and exiting the youth team is but never see them regularly in our full team does make you wonder

2 minutes ago, Bogs_Dollox said:

Aye it's all a bit pointless if we have a youth team and then never see any of these guys again. Always hearing about how the good and exiting the youth team is but never see them regularly in our full team does make you wonder

It is a huge step up though, even at L2.  For all the raving about Hay, that's 2 managers that thought he wasn't good enough and what I saw of him in the big team, he really was hit and miss (no pun intended).

43 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

It is a huge step up though, even at L2.  For all the raving about Hay, that's 2 managers that thought he wasn't good enough and what I saw of him in the big team, he really was hit and miss (no pun intended).

It is a big step up but surely West End, Kirrie Thistle or Blairgowrie would welcome them for a year or two, as long as we could keep some kind of contractual hold on them. Otherwise what is the point of the development squad?

Another player who was always "better" when not playing.Like Griffiths for Scotland mince when picked but would have been red hot when not picked.

Archived