English Nationalism

54 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It took a world war and large scale plundering of far flung territories to get the one great achievement of the United Kingdom: the welfare state. I really don't know what England is supposed to be proud of. They couldn't even successfully overthrow the monarchy in any permanent sense of the word.

Is Britain's monarchy an English issue?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NotThePars said:

Hopefully in a few year's time, aye.

So will the cowardly SNP make an issue of monarchy if 'indyref2' happens?

BTW I'm not at all wedded to monarchy but will be astounded if the odious SNP make 'no monarchy' part of their shortbread-munching plan seeing as they have no integrity.

1 minute ago, Tony Ferrino said:

I said "was". 

was/is...I still didn't make an analogy.  Now would you like to say what you mean?  Almost certainly the post in question was where I said, "posters on here can't distinguish between nationalism and independence"

Was this what you meant when you mentioned 'analogy'?  BTW I've been on the BRALT for years so I'm used to replying to fuckwits.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

was/is...I still didn't make an analogy.  Now would you like to say what you mean?  Almost certainly the post in question was where I said, "posters on here can't distinguish between nationalism and independence"

Was this what you meant when you mentioned 'analogy'?  BTW I've been on the BRALT for years so I'm used to replying to fuckwits.

He's an Angry elf....Help with the scene from the film please.

Wind your neck in you bully,

You think for a minute you've got someone on the back foot and you steam right on in.

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I think that the 'no' vote last time was broadly right irrespective of demographics.  I also think it's a shame on Scotland's electorate that wee Nicola and her brain-dead minions have asked for a new plebiscite and they must be seen as single-issue idiots.

The shame is that there's no credible alternative.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

So will the cowardly SNP make an issue of monarchy if 'indyref2' happens?

BTW I'm not at all wedded to monarchy but will be astounded if the odious SNP make 'no monarchy' part of their shortbread-munching plan seeing as they have no integrity.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The SNP?  Most posters on here can't distinguish between nationalism and independence. 

f**k off m9, there's a good lad.

I'm a big fan of Billy Bragg and his views of englishness. There are plenty of progressive voices down south but they've never really needed to be openly English (hence the far right have filled that gap).

I would hope the Scottish independence movement would force a conversation to take place about englishness.

Does it need to happen? I feel 'Englishness' is quite a secure sense of being in a way Scottishness often doesn't seem to be. People seem to be very accepting of the idea of being British and English, for example, without any conflict between the identities arising. Sometimes that feels a bit more difficult for some people being Scottish.

I sort of feel that a discussion on Englishness isn't really required and that an English identity is quite a comfortable one. I'm not sure what England has to gain by exploring Englishness.

24 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Does it need to happen? I feel 'Englishness' is quite a secure sense of being in a way Scottishness often doesn't seem to be. People seem to be very accepting of the idea of being British and English, for example, without any conflict between the identities arising. Sometimes that feels a bit more difficult for some people being Scottish.

I sort of feel that a discussion on Englishness isn't really required and that an English identity is quite a comfortable one. I'm not sure what England has to gain by exploring Englishness.

I don't think anything like that really needs to happen because 'national identity' is only really as important as people want to make it.

I think you're confusing an acceptance of that 'duel-identity' with an inability to distinguish betwen the two. I don't think most English people are comfortable being English and British in the same way a French person might be comfortable being both French and European. I think the majority of English people simply don't see much or any difference between being English and being British, to the point where manhy will use the terms interchangabley and erroneously.

There's no judegment on that from me although, of course it's a bit annoying when people say 'England' and mean 'Britian/The UK' and vice versa.

There's no doubt English identity has kind of fused with British identity in a way that Scottish identity never really has. That's really down to numbers. England's about 84% of the UK by population. Of course any 'British identity' is going to be more heavily influenced by England than any other part of the UK.

Archived