Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robbie signs new deal

June 14, 2017/0 Comments/in Main Slider/by antony

Robbie Crawford today penned a full time deal for the 2017/18 season.

Robbie said :”I am pleased that it’s all sorted now. I have to thank the gaffer for giving me some time to think as I had a few other options however he made it clear to me how much he wanted to me to stay and with the club going full time it was an easy decision to make.

I was impressed with the signings that we have made as well. Obviously I know Moff and Geggsy as I have played with them here before and I have played against Chris Higgins so I know how difficult he is to play against.”

Manager Ian McCall said :”I am delighted that Robbie has decided to stay as there was interest at a higher level from 2 or 3 different clubs, which was no surprise to me. He has shown his commitment and we are thrilled with that. I felt Robbie was one of the best midfielders in the Championship at times last season and if it wasn’t for the horrendous tackle at Easter Road I think we would have found it extremely difficult to hold onto him.

Craig McGuffie has made the decision to take a year out of university and go full time so he has been given a full time contract on improved terms. We have very high hopes for Craig and full time training will only improve him.

We are very close to finalising the contracts for Greg Fleming and Paddy Boyle. Greg is extremely important to us and although he wont be able to commit to every training session he is going to be able to do a more than adequate amount.

Paddy is absolutely proven in this league, the last twice he has been in it he has been in the team of the year. He is experienced, great in the dressing room and would be a big player for us. Paddy would be on a completely full time basis.

We are still working on getting another couple in, finances will dictate whether that’s possible but I would certainly like to add a couple more to the squad.”

Not ideal that we won't be adding many more players, surely we need at least 2 more defenders another midfielder (wide player) and possibly another forward.

Fleming not being able to commit to every training session, questions will be asked if him and the defence don't look confident at crosses and corners. I wouldn't be surprised if Hart at some point takes the first team jersey.

44 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Not ideal that we won't be adding many more players, surely we need at least 2 more defenders another midfielder (wide player) and possibly another forward.

Fleming not being able to commit to every training session, questions will be asked if him and the defence don't look confident at crosses and corners. I wouldn't be surprised if Hart at some point takes the first team jersey.

I know this won't solve the issue completely but is McCall possible thinking 3 at the back?

Just now, rb123! said:

I know this won't solve the issue completely but is McCall possible thinking 3 at the back?

We only have 2 central defenders just now, 3 if you include Jamie Ballantyne. Just don't see it really, Geggan also won't be a wing back.

19 minutes ago, rb123! said:

He's taking a page out of Conte's book, worked for him. Although McCall did say the aim of this season was to be more attacking, with some players not having any defensive duties, so it'll be interesting to see what he does.

Can only see him playing a system that allows McDaid and McGuffie to play as he stated that at the end of the season. 

Fleming 

Geggan Rose Higgins Boyle

Docherty Crawford Adams 

McDaid Moffat/Moore McGuffie

The only worry for me with that is the lack of goals from midfield unless Crawford can add that. That's why I think Cairney should be signed (hopefully replaces Gilmour). For me he would be adding 5-10 goals a season from midfield.

Initially, I was happy to have Geggan on board at right back, but looking at the options in midfield leaves me underwhelmed.

A central midfield pairing of Geggan & Docherty is far more desirable IMO than Crawford & Adams rotated alongside Doc. Our midfield totally failed to spark last season, I'm not convinced the drop to League One would produce any change in fortune.

Surely, to provide options at the very least, McCall has to source a decent right back and I'd have Geggan in the middle AND Moore & Moffat both up front.

Initially, I was happy to have Geggan on board at right back, but looking at the options in midfield leaves me underwhelmed.

A central midfield pairing of Geggan & Docherty is far more desirable IMO than Crawford & Adams rotated alongside Doc. Our midfield totally failed to spark last season, I'm not convinced the drop to League One would produce any change in fortune.

Surely, to provide options at the very least, McCall has to source a decent right back and I'd have Geggan in the middle AND Moore & Moffat both up front.

Pretty much this.

Another centre half, right back and striker and I'll be happy enough.

Surely to f**k he isn't going to rely on Moore staying fit.

At the moment we're looking at something like:

Fleming,Geggan, Rose, Higgins,Boyle, McGuffie, Crawford, Docherty (c), McDaid, Moore, Moffat

subs- Hart, Gilmour, Adams, Forrest, u20, u20, u20

ideally id like to see us sign a CB to replace Rose (Gordon?) right back to allow Geggan to move into CM and a striker to act as back up to Moore and Moffat (Mackin?). In addition to this I'd also like to see Cairney re-sign. 

Rb McMillan ex Clyde Cb Gordon ex St Mirren Rw/Lw Chris Johnston ex RaithForward Target man for something different. Is the what the FM 17 manager in me would go for.

The money we're offering and McCall having a reputation on being a dinosaur I doubt we'll add anything other than squad players. Right now we're short of starters and that's not looking like improving anytime soon

Rb McMillan ex Clyde Cb Gordon ex St Mirren Rw/Lw Chris Johnston ex RaithForward Target man for something different. Is the what the FM 17 manager in me would go for.

The money we're offering and McCall having a reputation on being a dinosaur I doubt we'll add anything other than squad players. Right now we're short of starters and that's not looking like improving anytime soon

Was that McMillan not absolutely mince after he signed for Clyde?

So we're back to the pishy wee league for at least another season, where do we go from here? McCall more than likely staying, Full Time a realistic option? Who we keeping and who's being binned?
Positive, back to Arbroath, day out at Hampden and possibly Annan.
Negative, back to Stranraer, Albion and possibly Airdrie.

Probably the reason you"re in the 'pishy wee league' is cos you're a pishy wee team. Love arrogant gits mouthin' off wi' nothing to mouth off about!
Like Clyde without the passion. Lookin forward to visiting. You're on the outskirts of Kilmarnock I believe?

Archived