Dundee v ICT - 17th May

5 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I don't think your team has the worst players/squad in the league but I do think you have the worst manager and that's your major downfall. 

Meekings, Warren, Raven, Draper, Tansey, Polworth and Dorans is a pretty decent group of players to build a team around. I don't particularly pay much attention to ICT so I'm not sure if injuries have played a part as well. 

Meekings, Draper and Polworth would be welcome at Dens next season. 

Draper, and Meekings if fit, would be good signings for any team in the league outside Celtic. Draper, in common with the rest of the team, has had a poor season, but he's proven often enough in the past that there are few players in the league better at doing the shitwork in deep midfield, breaking up attacks and stopping opponents dominating the middle of the park. Meekings reads the game very well, is quick across the ground and an excellent tackler, but I do wonder if he's going to be one of those players (like Doran) who's injured far more often then he's fit. On the subject of 'weclome at Dens', I could never understand why Hartley thought that signing lightweights like Ross, Vincent and Williams could make a significant difference to Dundee. There's a reason why none of them could ever really become a regular at ICT (although tbf, Vincent did also have injury problems), while Draper and Meekings could. I far preferred the idea of Hartley to Hughes when the latter was appointed at ICT, but those signings gave me serious doubts about him.   

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Draper, and Meekings if fit, would be good signings for any team in the league outside Celtic. Draper, in common with the rest of the team, has had a poor season, but he's proven often enough in the past that there are few players in the league better at doing the shitwork in deep midfield, breaking up attacks and stopping opponents dominating the middle of the park. Meekings reads the game very well, is quick across the ground and an excellent tackler, but I do wonder if he's going to be one of those players (like Doran) who's injured far more often then he's fit. On the subject of 'weclome at Dens', I could never understand why Hartley thought that signing lightweights like Ross, Vincent and Williams could make a significant difference to Dundee. There's a reason why none of them could ever really become a regular at ICT (although tbf, Vincent did also have injury problems), while Draper and Meekings could. I far preferred the idea of Hartley to Hughes when the latter was appointed at ICT, but those signings gave me serious doubts about him.   

Vincent and Ross are very tidy players to be fair. Hartley had them playing as defensive midfielders trying to break up the play etc like you describe. McCann has come in and has pushed McGowan up a bit to do the pressing/breaking up in front of the midfield and Vincent/Ross have been able to play to their strengths.

Williams however, is shite and needs punted ASAP.

2 hours ago, Mr Gandosaur said:

Vincent and Ross are very tidy players to be fair. Hartley had them playing as defensive midfielders trying to break up the play etc like you describe. McCann has come in and has pushed McGowan up a bit to do the pressing/breaking up in front of the midfield and Vincent/Ross have been able to play to their strengths.

Correct!

Meekings, Warren, Raven, Draper, Tansey, Polworth and Dorans is a pretty decent group of players to build a team around. I don't particularly pay much attention to ICT so I'm not sure if injuries have played a part as wel

I think we thought that we had a strong spine of players that would support Foran in his first season but that spine of the team has either been injured (Meekings) or seen their form dip (Warren, Tansey) or been played out of position (Draper, Polworth).  There's also a mixture of these factors.  The players we've signed on top of these are basically bench-warmers and none of them have added significantly to the team. 

To be honest, it's amazing that we've managed to avoid being relegated until the last couple of games, we have been absolutely awful this season.

11 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

They were dreadful, tbf, and went down on 28 points, which is our current total. I wouldn't be surprised if we fail to pick up any more points though, and we already have a worse GD than Utd had at the end of last season. Also, I don't remember a season where the other bottom six supporters have been so unimpressed by their own teams - Hamilton and Motherwell supporters have just about been cutting their wrists on here all season, County supporters were until recently, and Dundee and Killie supporters were pretty disillusioned until their teams changed managers. It feels like it's been a particularly shite league this year, and yet we're still four points adrift. Given that two seasons ago we were finishing third, eight points ahead of fourth place, and winning the Scottish Cup, it's a pretty calamitous decline.  

I think that's a fair point.

The standard of the league has been appalling this year and we're also one of the major contributors to that mess. The sooner this one is over the better, IMO.

11 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

Williams hasn't been given a proper chance but I still think he will do a job for us next season.

I'm sorry, but this is a heap of pish; I've read this so many times this season. Williams started a huge chunk at the beginning of the season and embarrassed himself in almost every game he played. He is an awful football player and has certainly been given every chance to impress. Should be offloaded asap.

10 hours ago, Mr Gandosaur said:

I wrote my reply before I saw this post. Great minds think alike, Señor Gandosauré.

Thank you.

I wrote my reply before I saw this post. Great minds think alike, Señor Gandosauré.
Thank you.

Can't quote the part where you quoted me for some reason so I guess this part will do.
Funny how we all see it differently but I guess it would be boring if we didn't. He didn't start loads of games at the start of the season from what I can remember, would be interesting to see the stats. He definitely did start the game against Ross County on the opening day and he had a fantastic game on the left wing, with him being the central figure in most of our counter attacks. Another game he started on the wing was at home to Aberdeen (first time) when he was brought off at 1-1. Within minutes of him being brought off for Wighton Aberdeen were 2v1 down their right wing against Holt and they scored. He's not blessed with the best pace for a winger, but he does help out defensively. He also came on in the game away to Kilmarnock in the middle of the park and was actually our stand out player that day.

A lot of his other starts were when we were playing he pishy 5 at the back system and he was made to play as the left wing back. He scored a few goals for Inverness last season IIRC as well.

Williams still has about 10 years left on his contract (thanks Paul) so I guess we will still have him next season. He hasn't massively impressed but I'm in the give him another chance camp.

12 hours ago, Yenitit said:

I don't think your team has the worst players/squad in the league but I do think you have the worst manager and that's your major downfall. 

Meekings, Warren, Raven, Draper, Tansey, Polworth and Dorans is a pretty decent group of players to build a team around. I don't particularly pay much attention to ICT so I'm not sure if injuries have played a part as well. 

Meekings, Draper and Polworth would be welcome at Dens next season. 

Can we maybe sign players from a different club?

Hopefully this is a meaningless game for us, thanks to Hamilton failing to win in Dingwall. But in this zany season anything can happen. 

The only scenario that is impossible going into this game is us being safe while Inverness are relegated - the latter can only happen if Hamilton win, which rules out the former. 

39 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Can't quote the part where you quoted me for some reason so I guess this part will do.
Funny how we all see it differently but I guess it would be boring if we didn't. He didn't start loads of games at the start of the season from what I can remember, would be interesting to see the stats. He definitely did start the game against Ross County on the opening day and he had a fantastic game on the left wing, with him being the central figure in most of our counter attacks. Another game he started on the wing was at home to Aberdeen (first time) when he was brought off at 1-1. Within minutes of him being brought off for Wighton Aberdeen were 2v1 down their right wing against Holt and they scored. He's not blessed with the best pace for a winger, but he does help out defensively. He also came on in the game away to Kilmarnock in the middle of the park and was actually our stand out player that day.

A lot of his other starts were when we were playing he pishy 5 at the back system and he was made to play as the left wing back. He scored a few goals for Inverness last season IIRC as well.

Here are his stats: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=70930

He's started most of the games until Christmas, and since then has played in almost every game as a substitute. He's racked up a tonne of 'performances' at Dens (27 games this season including substitutions), so to say he's not been given a chance is mental, although I can forgive you for forgetting about him since he's an utter waste of skin. Personally, I'd release both him and Tom Hateley immediately. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

Just the one goal for us last season. I wonder if he might get put out on loan next season possibly back to us in the Championship.

Sort of ironic that we will probably lose to a team that over the years has more or less been our main bitches while Hibs have been absent and have never finished above us while in the same league. It just shows how far we have dropped in such a short time. Dundee won't relegate us, we managed that all by ourselves.

Related image

4 minutes ago, CityDave said:

"Dundee won't relegate us, we managed that all by ourselves."

Ah, the old DAB defence . Dingies mate, you're getting punted into the seaside leagues on our hallowed turf. Cho. 

Sort of ironic that we will probably lose to a team that over the years has more or less been our main bitches while Hibs have been absent and have never finished above us while in the same league. It just shows how far we have dropped in such a short time. Dundee won't relegate us, we managed that all by ourselves.
raw

Heard that pish fae the dabs.

Hopefully this is a meaningless game for us, thanks to Hamilton failing to win in Dingwall. But in this zany season anything can happen. 
The only scenario that is impossible going into this game is us being safe while Inverness are relegated - the latter can only happen if Hamilton win, which rules out the former. 

If Hamilton draw then we are safe but ICT can technically still avoid relegation by winning their last 2 games. I hope this is the case because it would leave us the pleasure of delivering the coup de gras. Lovely [emoji173]️

15 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Ah, the old DAB defence . Dingies mate, you're getting punted into the seaside leagues on our hallowed turf. Cho. 

14 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Where have we heard this before?emoji23.png

14 minutes ago, kevthedee said:

Heard that pish fae the dabs.

I'm sure you've said it yourselves when under similar circumstances but we are not used to this so and I'm not up on how to deflect blame onto outside factors. I'm sure most of us have our own idea where the blame lies for this rotten season and its within the club itself. If we lose on Wednesday most of us will just think 'finally our season has been put out of its misery'.

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

If Hamilton draw then we are safe but ICT can technically still avoid relegation by winning their last 2 games. I hope this is the case because it would leave us the pleasure of delivering the coup de gras. Lovely emoji173.png

You know we will probably beat you now and County will beat Accies prolonging the inevitable. :rolleyes: How we are still not relegated with two games to go is a real puzzle. But I suppose it will mean more to you than relegation will to us if you win. It might seem terrible to say it against my own team but I'd rather this season done and dusted soon as possible.

btw go easy on the few brave souls that go to Dens tomorrow to support Inverness, that's loyalty to a lost cause.

Archived