The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 29/12/2023 at 17:18, tam the bud said:

I just wish we had 1 striker that was half decent at heading the ball in the penalty area. 

Wonder how Fletcher doing at Wrexham  🤔

On 29/12/2023 at 18:37, codfish said:

Two goals in twelve appearances, missed nine games before returning last Saturday.

Bullet dodged.

Scored a hat trick today .

2 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Aye i saw that. 

We wouldn't get him now even if we did want him.  

More likely he would choose Morecambe. According to the moonhowler Adams!

His wage demands would likely be very high anyway. 

Disappointing result tonight but not unexpected.

Our league season is never usually defined with games against the OF.

I was more disappointed with the last home performance against Kilmarnock. 

Time to regroup and hopefully we can get another good run after the restart. 

A decent run in the Scottish cup would be ideal especially with some of the other top flight teams playing catch up with postponed league fixtures. 

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

A decent run in the Scottish cup would be ideal especially with some of the other top flight teams playing catch up with postponed league fixtures. 

Agree but we will need midfield reinforcements.  Baccus and O'Hara were sorely missed. 

13 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Agree but we will need midfield reinforcements.  Baccus and O'Hara were sorely missed. 

Baccus yes, but we can’t really moan about O’Hara being missing when most of us have been saying he’s been honking for months anyway. 

Winter break come at a good time i think. 

need to regroup and get back to what we were doing well in the opening games of the season. I’m sure SR will have a couple of options lined up with some heading out the door. Our dealings / squad management has been excellent last couple of windows so no reason this one can’t be the same…

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Yes , not unexpected but what was unexpected and was a massive disappointment was the lack of organisation, effort & commitment plus individual lapses and the fact that we didn’t lay a glove on them ! 

They had 8 times more shots at goal than us … 8 fucking times !!    .  75/25 Possession spilt I can get but not a single shot at goal against their 11 , 1 corner v their 12 is unacceptable.  Thank f**k for Zach hemming 

Edited by callum-g

3 hours ago, Munoz said:

Thought Elvis looked ok when he came on. Showed some nice touches and effort considering the scoreline and level of opposition. 

That’s good to hear.  Ended up not going tonight but watching on TV I didn’t think he looked great.

However can’t really think of a harder way to make your debut!

If we can get 2 decent midfielders and a half reliable striker in, given the fixtures now until the break, I’d strongly fancy us to get top 6 and push for that 4th place, but we def need a couple out and couple in

Think the main issue is getting a few out the door. Might aswell send Stav home if hes never getting a game. I would try and sell Olusanya and Grieve and get Flynn to retire to go full time coach

8 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

Think the main issue is getting a few out the door. Might aswell send Stav home if hes never getting a game. I would try and sell Olusanya and Grieve and get Flynn to retire to go full time coach

I understand where you are coming from but who is going to pay for Toyosi and why would Flynn agree? Would it free up significant funds?

I also think it would be short sighted to lose Greive. He is young and has an eye for a goal. Early season he made good finishes, 1 or 2 were chopped off. We haven't exactly been creating loads of decent chances for our strikers anyway.

I think Lewis contract likely nailed Stav for not remaining permanently but who knows.

We do however need a stronger squad to push for 4th and avoid 6th, 7th or 8th though.

3 minutes ago, medals said:

I understand where you are coming from but who is going to pay for Toyosi and why would Flynn agree? Would it free up significant funds?

I also think it would be short sighted to lose Greive. He is young and has an eye for a goal. Early season he made good finishes, 1 or 2 were chopped off. We haven't exactly been creating loads of decent chances for our strikers anyway.

I think Lewis contract likely nailed Stav for not remaining permanently but who knows.

We do however need a stronger squad to push for 4th and avoid 6th, 7th or 8th though.

The biggest issue will be getting someone to pay for the players and will probably need to wait for end of season with Flynn but players need to go and i dont know who else we can afford to lose

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I can only assume that Stav is not cutting the mustard in training or something, because any game time he’s had he’s looked one of the sharpest forwards we have. I just don’t get it otherwise. 

Ive heard its because he wont press from the front or is too lazy, just wants to sit up top and wait for a pass. Not 100% sure though

27 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

I’d like to see more of Stav, feel like Mandron, Grieve and Olysanya have all had a bit more of a chance and done very little, last night Mandron looked knackered after 15 mins. Couple important goals between them but not enough on a regular basis 

Edited by AussieBud

To be fair we could bin all our forwards as not having the quality. However they are here because they are as good as we can get. 

Stav is a mystery. Looks the part but is not getting game time. 

Olusanya will never cut it at this level

Ayunga is perhaps our best striker. 

Grieve bags of running and effort but not going to bag 10 goals a season. 

Mandron technically sound but poorer version of Ayunga. 

Jamieson young but yet to get up to speed. 

I struggle to see who we can move on. Olusanya perhaps. 

The rest of the team we pretty much need them all. Flynn is a bit part and not good enough but who would take him?

We may get bids for Baccus so money may come in.