The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

52 minutes ago, Ric said:

Out of interest, why do people think Nahmani hasn't been played all that much?

It's a year's loan with possible permanent deal at the end, going by the now deleted (web archived) official club announcement: https://web.archive.org/web/20230701114144/https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/5002-stav-nahmani-to-join-on-loan-subject-to-work-permit-and-clearance

I'm not looking for any conspiracy theories or something to blame the club and/or player, just interested in why he's not been given the time. Skill issue? Personal issue? etc..

There's been a few post about him struggling to settle for fairly obvious reasons. Probably unfortunate timing more than any ability issue.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There's been a few post about him struggling to settle for fairly obvious reasons. Probably unfortunate timing more than any ability issue.

Understandable, and without going into politics, I imagine he'll have one eye on what is happening back in Israel.

I wonder if we'll take up the option then, if that is still on the table. If it's a settling issue, things like that can turn around quite quickly, but the die may have  already been cast.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Understandable, and without going into politics, I imagine he'll have one eye on what is happening back in Israel.

I wonder if we'll take up the option then, if that is still on the table. If it's a settling issue, things like that can turn around quite quickly, but the die may have  already been cast.

Given the figures quoted I'd be extremely doubtful. Possibly on renegotiated terms ?

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

If he were to stay with us , I think we could getting him for very little maybe even a token fee but with a %50 sell on fee . Think his agent would be quite happy to have him on a three year contract if it involves him avoiding National Service for the next three years .

23 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

If he were to stay with us , I think we could getting him for very little maybe even a token fee but with a %50 sell on fee . Think his agent would be quite happy to have him on a three year contract if it involves him avoiding National Service for the next three years .

There is absolutely zero chance of his parent club selling to us for any less than the fee already agreed in his option to buy.

I don't think we will exercise the option buy him even for a lesser fee, since we have very rarely used him so far half way through the season.

I had a lot of hope he was going to be seen as a box office signing come end of the season. It's sadly not worked out for one reason or another.

14 hours ago, AW saint said:

Played 21 games scoring 2 goals. Would rather we were not in the mix to sign him. 

We have enough low scoring players

To be fair, I don't think he has been an out and out striker his whole career, has he? I thought he was more of an attacking mid. Just like Robbo getting the best out of Main at Motherwell and us, my hope is that he would be able to get similar out of Scott if the rumours are true. This guy sold for 7 figures only three years ago under the development of Robinson and his team.

21 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

To be fair, I don't think he has been an out and out striker his whole career, has he? I thought he was more of an attacking mid. Just like Robbo getting the best out of Main at Motherwell and us, my hope is that he would be able to get similar out of Scott if the rumours are true. This guy sold for 7 figures only three years ago under the development of Robinson and his team.

He was used as a #9 now and again at development level and we gave him a run there instead of Main at the end of the 18/19 season when it was clear Main was away and we were safe and he looked like what he was ie: an 18 year old laddie going up against experienced centre backs.

The form that got him his move came from him playing off the right as a wide forward in a 433.

He got a serious injury during his first training session at Hull and tbh it looks like his career has never really recovered. There were questions over his attitude at Hibs as well IIRC - Jack Ross basically called him out for not being fit enough: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/james-scott-hibs-forward-opens-up-on-public-shaming-and-criticism-as-he-prepares-for-hull-return-3694039

If you take a look at Exeter's forum they're not exactly disappointed about the prospect of losing him.

I get that he's the sort of signing that Robinson probably couldn't help himself with "he's a talented boy who's moved for big, big money..." etc but genuine question; do St Mirren actually need someone who's nominally a right winger?

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Based on what we've seen so far, he isn't worth the nominal fee never mind the £250k. 

I wonder if we are paying his wages, and he isn't "in a position to be in the first team" (for whatever reason), are we stuck with a year's loan or can it be cancelled.

Would seem a shame for the lad, you'd obviously want him to succeed, but if that's looking unlikely are we able to return him, or are we contractually obliged to keep him until May?

Edited by Ric

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He was used as a #9 now and again at development level and we gave him a run there instead of Main at the end of the 18/19 season when it was clear Main was away and we were safe and he looked like what he was ie: an 18 year old laddie going up against experienced centre backs.

The form that got him his move came from him playing off the right as a wide forward in a 433.

He got a serious injury during his first training session at Hull and tbh it looks like his career has never really recovered. There were questions over his attitude at Hibs as well IIRC - Jack Ross basically called him out for not being fit enough: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/james-scott-hibs-forward-opens-up-on-public-shaming-and-criticism-as-he-prepares-for-hull-return-3694039

If you take a look at Exeter's forum they're not exactly disappointed about the prospect of losing him.

I get that he's the sort of signing that Robinson probably couldn't help himself with "he's a talented boy who's moved for big, big money..." etc but genuine question; do St Mirren actually need someone who's nominally a right winger?

Imo no. We have McMenamin who plays there but he has been by and large disappointing. We need a penalty box striker

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Imo no. We have McMenamin who plays there but he has been by and large disappointing. We need a penalty box striker

Don't we need someone better than McMenamin? Or at least another option?

Scott scored a couple of crackers against us if I remember correctly. 

He looked on the way up but...

Is he another like Jake Hastie, very promising but fallen away drastically, or like Shankland who got in a personal trainer and has kicked on massively? 

5 minutes ago, medals said:

Don't we need someone better than McMenamin? Or at least another option?

Scott scored a couple of crackers against us if I remember correctly. 

He looked on the way up but...

Is he another like Jake Hastie, very promising but fallen away drastically, or like Shankland who got in a personal trainer and has kicked on massively? 

Scott had a fairly horrendous injury right at the start of his time at Hull

Are people surprised by McMenamin's inconsistency?

He seems like the typical sand-dancer we'd pick up in the championship. The ability to throw in a worldy or have an amazing game but it's rare and for most of the time they are down right average. This is no slight on McMenamin, we've lauded such players in the past, and they have their use. I also think the formation we play hasn't helped,  but good players learn to adapt.

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

He seems like the typical sand-dancer we'd pick up in the championship. The ability to throw in a worldy or have an amazing game but it's rare and for most of the time they are down right average. This is no slight on McMenamin, we've lauded such players in the past, and they have their use. I also think the formation we play hasn't helped,  but good players learn to adapt.

I think the main disappointment was he came for a decent fee as a guy who was scoring loads of goals and creating assists.

He's got 1 goal and 0 assists with us I believe.

24 minutes ago, medals said:

I think the main disappointment was he came for a decent fee as a guy who was scoring loads of goals and creating assists.

He's got 1 goal and 0 assists with us I believe.

Perhaps the step up is too much for him. I was expecting an Armstrong of Killie type of player. 

16 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Perhaps the step up is too much for him. I was expecting an Armstrong of Killie type of player. 

It looks a bit like that but I hope not.

Plenty decent players initially "under-perfom" having taken a while to adjust before they produce the goods.

He's lost familiar teammates, moved to a new country,  being taught to play in a different system and different role etc.

I've no idea how all this is affecting him or what else is going on in his life.

We can but hope that he will soon deliver as he clicks with our new signings...

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Slightly.

Anytime he plays for N.Ireland he puts in a strong display.

Probably because he's playing the position that he's played so well at for Glentoran.

He was a stand out for Glentoran, but at a lower level than the premiership.

It's not always easy for a player from a lower league to make the step up, particularly when you're played out of position and have had a few niggling injuries.

I think he'll come good next season, if he is played in the correct position.

Looks like we will be hanging onto Baccus and Strain this window. 

No one will pick up strain till he is fit and Baccus is away with Australia.

Hopefully Keanu will be back sooner tgan later. A midfield 3 of Kwon, Baccus and MOH sounds good to me