The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, AW saint said:

Think top 6 will end up being out of reach. KVV may or may not have made a difference. Would be interesting to know what swayed it. 

Our manager, apparently. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yeah but haven’t you just kinda proved my point? We pushed the boat out for Brophy and it didn’t do us any harm. The fact that he didn’t work out is neither here nor there. Should we never push the boat out for a player again because Brophy didn’t work?

Also, all we did with Brophy was outbid a couple of clubs who clearly didn’t see him as a first team regular whereas we did. 

Did you not see our financial losses over that period? It wasn’t just the money spent on one player as I said previously.
Take a look at the accounts. We are still in recovery mode and yet we made a significant outlay in the summer on a player that to date has not been what we all hoped for. 
I’m honestly not fussed about KVV not signing for us. 

5 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

What’s a little rich is some Kilmarnock fans tweeting about their superiority. I’m not sure they’re a better team but they do have momentum and confidence at present- the pitch undoubtedly helps them 

I think you are living on planet September 2023.

For a good few months now Killie have been comfortably a better team than us. Genuinely dangerous match winning players in Armstrong, Vassell, Watkins etc and to a slightly lesser extent the likes of Kennedy. Now they’ve added Van Veen. Re-signing Findlay was also a masterstroke as from what I’ve seen he’s been excellent. Great young player in (is it?) Watson.

They are streets ahead of us at this time. 

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

For a good few months now Killie have been comfortably a better team than us. Genuinely dangerous match winning players in Armstrong, Vassell, Watkins etc and to a slightly lesser extent the likes of Kennedy. Now they’ve added Van Veen. Re-signing Findlay was also a masterstroke as from what I’ve seen he’s been excellent. Great young player in (is it?) Watson.

I don’t think anyone in this league (outside the top 2 of course) are streets ahead of anyone else. Livi are having a terrible season and we just got a 0-0 away from home.

Whilst things are going well for us and the transfer window looks good a lot will depend on how the manager fits everyone in when fit. I could easily see us only getting 2 points from our next two games (away to Well and home to Livi) just as easily as I could see us taking 4 or 6.

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Did you not see our financial losses over that period? It wasn’t just the money spent on one player as I said previously.
Take a look at the accounts. We are still in recovery mode and yet we made a significant outlay in the summer on a player that to date has not been what we all hoped for. 
I’m honestly not fussed about KVV not signing for us. 

I’m not saying these decisions don’t have an impact on our accounts mate. Of course they do. I’m  saying they are not deadly. Clubs like ours (in a financial sense) have good years and not so good years. That’s normal for any business. Wilbur threw out the lazy argument about what happened to us in the 90s. That’s ridiculous. No one is advocating that. 

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

I don’t think anyone in this league (outside the top 2 of course) are streets ahead of anyone else. Livi are having a terrible season and we just got a 0-0 away from home.

Whilst things are going well for us and the transfer window looks good a lot will depend on how the manager fits everyone in when fit. I could easily see us only getting 2 points from our next two games (away to Well and home to Livi) just as easily as I could see us taking 4 or 6.

Yes I agree with that, but the reality is you’re more likely to get the 4 or 6 than the 2, because you’ve got genuinely better players than those teams. 

14 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don't completely agree but you are mostly right. Killie are solid at the back and have the one player who makes them better than us. Danny Armstrong. If McMenamin was as good there would be very little between us. 

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yes I agree with that, but the reality is you’re more likely to get the 4 or 6 than the 2, because you’ve got genuinely better players than those teams. 

I’m trying not to get too excited about how many attacking options we have. Showing my age here but I remember in 1996 Newcastle were in a very strong position in the league and then they signed Tino Asprilla which on paper should’ve confirmed the title but instead it slightly threw them off kilter and they never looked the same.

I’ve just realised that is a nearly 30 year old reference and would’ve been the same equivalent as a Kilmarnock fan in 1996 saying “well in 1966…..

Getting old.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m trying not to get too excited about how many attacking options we have. Showing my age here but I remember in 1996 Newcastle were in a very strong position in the league and then they signed Tino Asprilla which on paper should’ve confirmed the title but instead it slightly threw them off kilter and they never looked the same.

I’ve just realised that is a nearly 30 year old reference and would’ve been the same equivalent as a Kilmarnock fan in 1996 saying “well in 1966…..

Getting old.

I love the analogy mate, but despite my praise of Killie’s current team, comparing Newcastle’s attacking options in 1996 to Killie’s in 2024 is a bit of a stretch. 🤣🤣

All joking aside, I get your point. 😄

Listen, I quite like St Mirren - even if there’s a small section of their fans who seem to try and want to manufacture some sort of forced rivalry with us. 

BUT, I’ll be taking no lectures on financial irresponsibility from a fanbase of a club who paid three grand a week to Eamon fucking Brophy. 

Good luck with the rest of the season. 

5 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I don't completely agree but you are mostly right. Killie are solid at the back and have the one player who makes them better than us. Danny Armstrong. If McMenamin was as good there would be very little between us. 

I would disagree to the extent that Vassell and Watkins (whilst hardly being world beaters) are better than anything we have up front.

I’d swap any of our forward players for either of those. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I would disagree to the extent that Vassell and Watkins (whilst hardly being world beaters) are better than anything we have up front.

I’d swap any of our forward players for either of those. 

Yes our strikers are not going to score goals and there lies the problem. 

3 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Listen, I quite like St Mirren - even if there’s a small section of their fans who seem to try and want to manufacture some sort of forced rivalry with us. 

BUT, I’ll be taking no lectures on financial irresponsibility from a fanbase of a club who paid three grand a week to Eamon fucking Brophy. 

Hmmm. That’s a serious 20/20 hindsight take that mate.

There were plenty of Killie fans that were raging we took Brophy.

Just because you got the last laugh doesn’t make you Nostradamus. 

16 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

We werent paying Brophy £3k a week, that figure (if it's true) would've included an appearance fee. And he hardly ever appeared.

Edited by houston_bud

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

And with that the window shuts. Now to announce our PCA's

We've brought in some decent additions and clearly had some budget to spare.

That surely helps next season so long as we get back to winning a decent amount of points.

7 minutes ago, AW saint said:

And with that the window shuts. Now to announce our PCA's

All in all, I'm fairly happy with our business in the window.

We needed a right back ✅️ 

We needed cover for left back ✅️ 

We wanted another midfielder with a bit of strength  ✅

We wanted another forward ✅

And we haven't lost any key players.

I can see why watching Kilmarnock bring in Stewart then Van Veen, might bring out a bit of envy but I think we've done OK.

28 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hmmm. That’s a serious 20/20 hindsight take that mate.

There were plenty of Killie fans that were raging we took Brophy.

Just because you got the last laugh doesn’t make you Nostradamus. 

Nah man, I don’t really think it is - and I’m actually not trying to be argumentative here. I remember plenty of killie fans (myself included) saying it was mental at the time. 

Brophy was decent enough - but out of that Clarke-era squad, he’s the one player that I think most fans knew was replaceable. 

Anyway, it was said slightly in jest. Best of luck for the season, I hope you pip the big city clubs into the top 6. Just don’t get any ideas about finishing above us. 

I reckon the club allowing young Sutherland to go out on loan to Alloa, would suggest they were pretty confident that there was a real shout of Van Veen signing on loan. 
Now that it’s not happened I expect to see Robbo explore the free agent market for another striker.