The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, medals said:

10 goals and 4 assists for RC this season...

Aren't fans always looking for ac10 goal plus striker? He's a free agent in the summer.

Think Utd might be interested.

Murray has signed a pre-contract I understand from a comment on Sportscene with Dundee United. Murray would have been a  great signing for us. 

1 minute ago, medals said:

So Mandron has created 24. I know it's only 1 comparison but he's only scored 7 league goals and 2 assists. . Although he has played less.

Kiltie created 33. Scored 4 and 5 assists. I think comparing him to Murray is more reasonable. Kiltie has some other attributes but Murray is more clinical.

From those stats, Mandron has played 19 games, Murray 30 games. I've not taken a deep dive into how much actual pitch time, but they look comparable. Kiltie is definitely closer to Murray in games played but he is not a second striker, in the way that Murray is being described as. On the flip side, County are a poorer side hampered by having an idiot in charge of them for a while.

Murray - no thanks.

He simply doesn't fit the remit at 32. As @YassinMoutaouakil says above, he probably does fit the Robinson mould on paper but he'd have probably been what, 25/26 when Robinson tried to get him at Motherwell. If he was 5 years younger it's definitely one I could see us going for.

I don't foresee a situation where we're offering guys in the early to mid 30s bracket a contract unless they are going to improve our starting XI significantly and Murray would fall under 'decent option' rather than the 'will improve our frontline massively' category.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Louis Moult anyone. When fit he is clinical. Robbo knows him well

31yo, whose injury problems made his 2022/2023 season look like this..

jRVw4Oy.png

Not for me thanks.

So Killie won, Hearts won, that's the bad news, but...

..Motherwell and St Johnstone winning has "given" us the top 6.

Just got to keep Dundee at arms length, and hopefully pull back the distance between us and Killie. There is a 6 pointer coming up, but honestly I think our faltering form has probably put rest to a 4th place.

41 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

So typical Saints lost the battle but won the war. Masters of the anti climax 

Dundee's loss really gives us some breathing space as it looks like 5th will be for Europe. Although they do have a game in hand.

Whether we want to enter Europe at that level (no pre-season, possible long journeys, no real revenue generated) is a different matter.

On 05/04/2024 at 16:06, FTOF said:

Meh.

Let's have some pre-contracts.................................

We may well start to see serious planning for next season given the security of the top 6 prize money. 

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

We may well start to see serious planning for next season given the security of the top 6 prize money. 

Doesn't it open another can of worms though, "do we budget for Europe", "We can't decide until the final day".

I mean it's a hell of a nicer problem to have than "will we still be in this league", which we've faced a few times.

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

Dundee's loss really gives us some breathing space as it looks like 5th will be for Europe. Although they do have a game in hand.

Whether we want to enter Europe at that level (no pre-season, possible long journeys, no real revenue generated) is a different matter.

I do 😀😀😀

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Doesn't it open another can of worms though, "do we budget for Europe", "We can't decide until the final day".

I mean it's a hell of a nicer problem to have than "will we still be in this league", which we've faced a few times.

Possibly. But at least the club have a starting point of knowing that we have achieved a certain portion of the league prize money. 
Rough estimate of league prize money:

IMG_8905.thumb.jpeg.d9dbad0835231efcfc6ef64f9b87e5a8.jpeg

Plus we will have larger home crowds for remaining games and full hospitality. 
Ideally we can make Europe and then we don’t need to enter League Cup until after the preliminary rounds as a seeded team. 
All positive news. 

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Possibly. 

It's not a bad problem to have, "how high up will we end up?", rather than, "how low will we end up?"

I also think that Euro qualification shouldn't interrupt the search for players we'll use in the domestic league. We can start putting out feelers now, if they haven't already been put out, knowing if we do qualify it would be a case of just adding numbers, rather than searching for the core of a team.

Given our financial circumstances two seasons ago it’s fcuking amazing to be in this position. 
Now we just need a couple of mega transfers down south involving McGinn and Erhahon! 

Just now, Molotov said:

Given our financial circumstances two seasons ago it’s fcuking amazing to be in this position. 
Now we just need a couple of mega transfers down south involving McGinn and Erhahon! 

We've been waiting for that McGinn loot to drop for years now! :lol:

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure he'll move. Villa are up the top end of the league, they are a big club, Emry has them playing very well, and the word from McGinn is that he's loving being there.