The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What do folk think will happen with away fans at the home leg. Given that the club will want to maximise income and the North Stand not being segregable, where will away fans be put?

At the current ticket pricing and with the quality  if opposition I think we will struggle to have a 4,000 crowd for either game .

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’d imagine that the away stand will house the away supporter as normal whether there are 30 fans or 1000.

I cannot imagine that we will sell all the home seats in the three other stands.

or have I misunderstood your question.

No mate, you didn’t misunderstand.

i guess i just thought the demand for our first home European tie in 37 years would be bigger than you or @MenstrieSaint think. 

I suppose I wasn’t thinking about the fact that our normal home crowd includes STH and this game won’t. 

As for the price, isn’t it only £3 more than our normal league games?

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

31 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

At the current ticket pricing and with the quality  if opposition I think we will struggle to have a 4,000 crowd for either game .

so how much should tickets be? 🤷

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

£20 adult and £10 concessions . Maybe £25 adult child . Would focus on trying to get a full ground . 

That said I hope I'm wrong about the crowd .

So let me get this straight.

Our bog standard league games are £26. Our league games against the OF are £29, but a premium, first time in 37 years European tie should be £20?

I really don’t get your logic mate and I too hope you are wrong about the crowd. 
I will never understand the fuss some folk make (not saying you) about something that equates to less than the price of a pint. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

50 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We’ll sell 6k home tickets at the very minimum. It’s the first home European tie in nearly 40 years.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Molotov said:

So it would seem that this lad has caught the eye of some big clubs down south. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-chelsea-ethan-sutherland-32639481.amp

Unfortunately the modern game means that these top clubs can hoover up our youngsters for buttons.

In an ideal scenario they buy him but allow him to get first team football with ourselves via a loan.

More likely they prefer to have then within their academies.

A bit like Dylan Reid. Wonder how he is doing?

Modern fitba is pish.

100% wouldn't happen. There's a reason not many young Scottish lads come up here on loan. 

Scotland is a valuable loophole for English football. They cannot sign U18 foreign players any more which means that most foreign players who sign cannot ever register as English trained by being there 3 years between 16 and 21 as they can  only sign in the first transfer window after their 18th birthday so mostly can never complete 3 years.

Scottish (and Welsh and NI) players can move south at 16/17 though and keeping them either in the Academy or in the loan market in England, means they can be registered in EPL and Europe as home grown English players. This allowance is removed if they are loaned to Scotland and is exactly the reason that we prioritised Kieran Bowie last summer and Fulham simply refused to do business with us or any other Non-English club.

Other Scottish young players like Mickey Mellon are the exception as he was schooled in England so his club doesn't need to adhere to that with him as his homegrown status is already secured.

Long story short, if Ethan went south, he'd stay south if they decided to loan him out.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

No CBM or Kiltie 

Start for Kenny hope he does well. 

Foster I cant think who he is

Owen Foster. 18 year old left winger. Was out at Linlithgow last season for a spell.

32 minutes ago, SS77 said:

We’ll sell 6k home tickets at the very minimum. It’s the first home European tie in nearly 40 years.

Parents with kids may be away as the schools are still closed for holidays.

This could have an impact on numbers.

1 hour ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Absolutely no chance. There will be at least 6k at the game, probably more if we are able to reduce the away allocation to the minimum to allow for more home fans if the uptake will be low.

1 minute ago, Road Dogg said:

Anyone thinking our first European home game in almost 4 decades won't see us with a large crowd is at it 

Aye. We averaged about 7000 for our ones, over the first few years, with over 8000 seeing us play Minsk.

If you're not cracking 7000 there's something wrong with the advertising of games or something.

Crowd for the home leg will be at least 5500, probably more. Will break 6000 for sure, should we get a favourable result in the first game. Programme sales will be their highest for a home game at the new midden since the opener v Killie. Hopefully there will be a tribute to Aber’ too, as it will be our first competitive home game since his passing.

5 hours ago, SS77 said:

I’m not a member either - I like the idea of SMISA but I commit a lot of my time/money to Saints and don’t really feel like I’d get anything from paying £12 a month to them.

Pretty sure most folk who're paying money to SMISA weren't and aren't expecting to get anything personally for it.

Posted (edited)

Thought I’d put all the previous home attendances of all the previous European games I’ve been fortunate to attend: 

IMG_1208.jpeg.dd53ed1e484fe70e8b82e22db6c0edda.jpeg

IMG_1209.jpeg.25028077c171980663d749489b1b9ba2.jpeg

IMG_1210.jpeg.f96fe92bb6ebd11b327c00b478f29b86.jpeg

IMG_1211.jpeg.fc5acf148f9e50fe442a5ab7d9c5f15b.jpeg
IMG_1212.jpeg.c6af6e2d6c8079450c21d8937bf3480e.jpeg

IMG_1213.jpeg.acf1d02bf6333b6b8b4e014bda925727.jpeg

IMG_1214.jpeg.fdaecf729e260f37e7b49f3dfdcffd40.jpeg

We battered a great St Etienne team but couldn’t score.

Incredible to see Cryuff play alongside Gullit. 

Best experience ever was Slavia Prague.

European nights certainly brought out much larger attendances than our domestic league home support back then. 

I would love to see a sell out for these games.

I believe our average home league support last season was larger than our average home league support throughout the 80s.

Link to data: 

https://www.stmirren.info/european-football

Edited by Molotov

Big save from the new goalie in first couple of minutes. 

Also tried an interesting goal kick style. Gogic looking like he will play out from the back, but goalie punts it up catching team off guard.