The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Thoughts on what kind of level Valur are at?

I know it's a part-time league but they've got plenty of experience and a number of guys who have played outside Iceland.

Raith Rovers, Partick Thistle equivalent? 

To me, on paper we should win the tie but it'll be tough with them being right in the thick of competitive football. Would take a draw at their place I think.

12 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I know it's a part-time league but they've got plenty of experience and a number of guys who have played outside Iceland.

To me, on paper we should win the tie but it'll be tough with them being right in the thick of competitive football. Would take a draw at their place I think.

A bit better than that I would imagine, they have a number of Icelandic internationalists in their team. Maybe a bottom half SPL side? 

8 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

On observing one friendly game last night, we're not dreadful by any means, but we lack cohesiveness.

We also lack a physical presence in our back line that can cope with high balls. I was hoping Iacovitti might help with that, but alas...........................

Midfield is a bit of a problem too. Smyth is still playing catch up in terms of match fitness and on last night's showing, we need to see a lot more from O'Hara and CBM. I felt the game passed them by. They need to exert their presence much more. On their day they can be very decent players. They need to start delivering the goods. They need to drive on into the space. CBM in partcular has a natural inclination to turn back and pass the ball back, rather than exploiting space in front of him.

Anyone who thinks we'll saunter past Valur is living in cloud cuckoo land. It is St.Mirren after all.

Whatever the outcome I predict a nerve shredding watch over two legs.

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Does anyone speak Icelandic?

Fyrsta markið skoraði Gunni, annað markið af Geordie Shaw, þriðja markið skoraði Paul Lambert sá allra flottasti. Ekkert mark var skorað af Celtic, 3-0 urðu lokatölur og maður gat ekki heyrt hermannasönginn fyrir hina heilögu ganga inn, ó þegar dýrlingarnir.....

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Fyrsta markið skoraði Gunni, annað markið af Geordie Shaw, þriðja markið skoraði Paul Lambert sá allra flottasti. Ekkert mark var skorað af Celtic, 3-0 urðu lokatölur og maður gat ekki heyrt hermannasönginn fyrir hina heilögu ganga inn, ó þegar dýrlingarnir.....

That's easy for you to say.

27 minutes ago, Hendo said:

A bit better than that I would imagine, they have a number of Icelandic internationalists in their team. Maybe a bottom half SPL side? 

There are certainly players who have represented their national team but generally in friendlies and a few years ago. No-one involved recently.

Sigurdsson was capped last October (for the first time in 3 years) when he was playing for a Danish side. Nothing though since arriving at Valur.

Looking at value website - section D not available - guessing this will be where our fans will be ? From pics it looks like they only have one stand …

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

On observing one friendly game last night, we're not dreadful by any means, but we lack cohesiveness.

We also lack a physical presence in our back line that can cope with high balls. I was hoping Iacovitti might help with that, but alas...........................

Midfield is a bit of a problem too. Smyth is still playing catch up in terms of match fitness and on last night's showing, we need to see a lot more from O'Hara and CBM. I felt the game passed them by. They need to exert their presence much more. On their day they can be very decent players. They need to start delivering the goods. They need to drive on into the space. CBM in partcular has a natural inclination to turn back and pass the ball back, rather than exploiting space in front of him.

Anyone who thinks we'll saunter past Valur is living in cloud cuckoo land. It is St.Mirren after all.

Whatever the outcome I predict a nerve shredding watch over two legs.

Pretty much nailed it. Totally agree. 

51 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Looking at value website - section D not available - guessing this will be where our fans will be ? From pics it looks like they only have one stand …

That's what we've went with. Got seats right next to there. 

1 hour ago, saintmurn said:

That's what we've went with. Got seats right next to there. 

No moaning next time you are sitting  next to Rangers or Celtic fans at a home Old Firm match.

9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

No moaning next time you are sitting  next to Rangers or Celtic fans at a home Old Firm match.

Eh? 

big difference is we (hopefully) won’t be a bunch ignorant fannys