The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

28 minutes ago, AW saint said:

As long as someone else comes in. 

LJ may never return as he is out of contract. Bit like Jay Henderson. 

Good comparison.  Jay looking good in the championship and I'd expect LJ to do so too.

Trouble is he's 6th choice for us, despite you and others wishing we had better than all those above him in the pecking order.

Like you I'm hoping for at least one more in.

I like Jamieson, he works hard and is a pest and has shown some quality on bursts. But if we're truthful, on what we've seen so far, he's just not cut out for the top flight just yet.

He's had a several loans at L2/L1 and Championship and did pretty well. Raith is a good move for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he pens a deal there beyond this season if he can go there and contribute.

He may come good eventually, but unfortunately, he just hasn't shown enough to be a consistent part of thigs with us.

Good luck to him.

15 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Brann 2-0 up on Astana after 82 or so mins.

Possession in the 2nd half: 91-9.

I didnt think it was possible to have the ball that much. Should won this 4-0 and killed Astanas chances before the 2nd leg.

Edited by RagaRocker

1 minute ago, RagaRocker said:

Possession in the 2nd half: 91-9.

I didnt think it was possible to have the ball that much. Should won this 4-0 and killed Astanas chances before the 2nd leg.

In comparison to us, how did they look?

I took a look at Astana's squad and felt they'd be a good side but clearly they no longer are.

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In comparison to us, how did they look?

I took a look at Astana's squad and felt they'd be a good side but clearly they no longer are.

You would've had a chance vs Astana based on this match. They started very agressive, but slowed down after 5 mins. I dont think our goalie had a single save in 90 minutes. They parked the bus with 9 players in the box, but were still not very disciplined. Super fast left winger, but he was tamed.

Your set pieces would've come in hand vs this team.

The away game will probably be something different, but Brann spend the prize money on a plane. They have chartered a huge plane at approx £300 000 or something so they get there without transit. 10 hour direct flight I think. They have also hired the chef from Bergens only Michelin restaurant and he is going to Almaty tomorrow to get everything up and running before the players arrive late Tuesday night. I like how professional this club have become in only 2 years (after the scandalous relegation).

Astana came to Bergen with a commercial flight 3 days before the match and the flight took 20 hours.

Edited by RagaRocker

The better Brann do in the competition, the more I am happy that we gave a very good side a good contest over the two legs. Hopefully Brann progress and we get to see how they fare as their opponents get better.

I’ve forgotten about their keeper at our place now - good luck to them.

3 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

You would've had a chance vs Astana based on this match. They started very agressive, but slowed down after 5 mins. I dont think our goalie had a single save in 90 minutes. They parked the bus with 9 players in the box, but were still not very disciplined. Super fast left winger, but he was tamed.

The away game will probably be something different, but Brann spend the prize money on a plane. They have chartered a huge plane at approx £300 000 or something so they get there without transit. 10 hour direct flight I think. They have also hired the chef from Bergens only Michelin restaurant and he is going to Almaty tomorrow to get everything up and running before the players arrive late Tuesday night. I like how professional this club have become in only 2 years (after the scandalous relegation).

Astana came to Bergen with a commercial flight 3 days before the match and the flight took 20 hours.

Fair play on doing it correctly.

You'd think a team with the European and indeed Champions League experience of Astana would have approached a long journey very differently.

I do hope Brann finish the job and make to the group stage. Partly because the entire Norway and Brann experience was excellent, the supporters we spoke to in Bergen were cracking, welcoming people and deserve to see their club playing back at that level and it will certainly make for a better away day for supporters than travelling into the heart of Asia and partly because I'd like to keep the forlorn belief that we hung with Brann in the second leg and with a little luck and Olusanya not slipping at 1-1, we may have been preparing for this possibility ourselves.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

You'd think a team with the European and indeed Champions League experience of Astana would have approached a long journey very differently.

I do hope Brann finish the job and make to the group stage. Partly because the entire Norway and Brann experience was excellent, the supporters we spoke to in Bergen were cracking, welcoming people and deserve to see their club playing back at that level and it will certainly make for a better away day for supporters than travelling into the heart of Asia and partly because I'd like to keep the forlorn belief that we hung with Brann in the second leg and with a little luck and Olusanya not slipping at 1-1, we may have been preparing for this possibility ourselves.

Yeah, that Olusanya chance....

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Both set of fans seems to agree that this was a great experience. The Twitter warriors from both sides were not happy, but its something else when you talk to people face to face.

Just now, RagaRocker said:

Yeah, that Olusanya chance....

Hard to blame him to be fair. The water on the park at that point was so bad that both sides were struggling in keeping their feet but it's a definite 'what if' moment.

Plus, if you'd told any of us 2 years ago that Olusanya would be inches away from getting on the end of a cross to potentially put us through against a team with the European experience of Brann, I think most St. Mirren supporters would have written you off as a lunatic. The lad came to us and started so poorly that he established himself as a bit of a joke figure and was loaned out to Arbroath, whose manager wrote him off as the worst signing in his 37 years as a manager. But he came back from it, has worked his arse off to the point he's our first choice striker, so not many Saints fans will give him hassle for falling there.

36 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

Am I right in saying there were 277 more spectators at the game last night than that of the game vs us last week? Find it hard to believe Astana filled their end and if they did, where did the extra 277 seats come from?

2 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Am I right in saying there were 277 more spectators at the game last night than that of the game vs us last week? Find it hard to believe Astana filled their end and if they did, where did the extra 277 seats come from?

I think the reason is that Brann used the original away end to the 40-50 Astana fans (there are 70-100 seats they are allowed to use I guess) and then Brann used your away stand to Brann supporters, which means they didnt need some empty rows for security.

Edited by RagaRocker

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

Looks like Brann had the full end that we had last week and Astana fans were put in the corner instead.

image.thumb.png.138874332089d6cc38637b3fc197b9ec.png

20 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Looking back it was quite an enjoyable season, but at the time it was torture. I actually thought Duckens Nazon looked like he could be a good addition. Niggly injuries meant he didn't play much, then there was the absurd red card in the play off game. I've still not forgiven John Beaton for his performance that day.

There was something freaky about his decisions that day.

It was like playing against the Old Firm before TV was able to highlight the more glaring examples of bias

31 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Looks like Brann had the full end that we had last week and Astana fans were put in the corner instead.

image.thumb.png.138874332089d6cc38637b3fc197b9ec.png

That part that the Astana fans are in from the screenshot, is that not part of the area that was deemed non Uefa compliant due to it being a standing area? I did see some fans (I think it was fans) in that part during our game too.

28 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

That part that the Astana fans are in from the screenshot, is that not part of the area that was deemed non Uefa compliant due to it being a standing area? I did see some fans (I think it was fans) in that part during our game too.

There seems to be a partition of some sort and then traditional seating behind (the area where the fans are sitting).

20 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Surely we have to get a striker in before the window shuts. Thr chat about KVV has gone quiet. 

To be fair, Phillips is one of very few players I've seen us linked with that was named in advance before we signed him.

We will definitely have someone in before the window closes. LJ moving on will have helped with balance of squad better to allowing another forward to come in. Ideally, would have been great to have someone in this week before Sundays game though not a big deal if its before the Dundee game next week.