The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I'm never exactly an optimist but under previous regimes we would have bitten your hand off for a start like this, as mad as it may sound. When you take a step back, this season was, and remains, one that is going to be difficult for the club. It's a fact that provincial Scottish teams in Europe tend to struggle when it comes to the league – I'm no manager, but I imagine coming back early and juggling what is a pretty threadbare squad is pretty tough. You also have the hype of Europe being an already distant memory, leading to everything else become something of an anti-climax and easy for players to just go through the motions (not making an excuse for them, as it is mighty frustrating to watch).

We have also had a number of injuries and the Rooney situation to contend with, and all that combined leads to us being pretty stretched.

However, Devil's advocate. Our form for large chunks of last season wasn't exactly the best. The difference was we managed to grind out a number of results which in previous year's we would have lost. There was a large spell following the game at Motherwell (where Tanser scored) where, to be frank, we were woeful. Barring the Dundee game at the end of the season, we also have a reputation for not turning up when the pressure is on, so none of this is exactly new.

Key players, such as Balcombe, O'Hara, Ayunga and CBM haven't turned up. And the longer it goes on, I'm afraid that we have already seen the best of O'Hara and Ayunga in a St Mirren top in that first season. The return of Dunne, performance on Saturday or not, also shows you how much we are struggling squad wise.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us having a majorly frustrating season to be honest. I'm not saying relegation material, but bottom six, on current viewing, is more than likely. And that isn't a slight at the manager – he's had us punching above our weight.

Edited by bishoptonbuddie

33 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

I'm never exactly an optimist but under previous regimes we would have bitten your hand off for a start like this, as mad as it may sound. When you take a step back, this season was, and remains, one that is going to be difficult for the club. It's a fact that provincial Scottish teams in Europe tend to struggle when it comes to the league – I'm no manager, but I imagine coming back early and juggling what is a pretty threadbare squad is pretty tough. You also have the hype of Europe being an already distant memory, leading to everything else become something of an anti-climax and easy for players to just go through the motions (not making an excuse for them, as it is mighty frustrating to watch).

We have also had a number of injuries and the Rooney situation to contend with, and all that combined leads to us being pretty stretched.

However, Devil's advocate. Our form for large chunks of last season wasn't exactly the best. The difference was we managed to grind out a number of results which in previous year's we would have lost. There was a large spell following the game at Motherwell (where Tanser scored) where, to be frank, we were woeful. Barring the Dundee game at the end of the season, we also have a reputation for not turning up when the pressure is on, so none of this is exactly new.

Key players, such as Balcombe, O'Hara, Ayunga and CBM haven't turned up. And the longer it goes on, I'm afraid that we have already seen the best of O'Hara and Ayunga in a St Mirren top in that first season. The return of Dunne, performance on Saturday or not, also shows you how much we are struggling squad wise.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us having a majorly frustrating season to be honest. I'm not saying relegation material, but bottom six, on current viewing, is more than likely. And that isn't a slight at the manager – he's had us punching above our weight.

Pretty fair assessment imo

2 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Because at the moment he hasn’t been found guilty of anything.

Wasn't there a statement somewhere that he was to put some sort of plea forward four weeks after the event?

Or am I imagining things?

25 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Because at the moment he hasn’t been found guilty of anything.

Nice to see where your moral lines are.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nice to see where your moral lines are.

Since you jumped on someone and questioned their "morals" I am guessing you know something in regards Rooney that we don't 🤔🤔🤔

Please elaborate further 🤷  

1 hour ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Pretty much agree with all that, at the start of the season I said that a third successive Top6 finish, on our budget, would make him a candidate for Saints GOAT manager.

53 minutes ago, CH01 said:

Since you jumped on someone and questioned their "morals" I am guessing you know something in regards Rooney that we don't 🤔🤔🤔

Please elaborate further 🤷  

I'm just saying if someone like Rooney admits he's been involved in an assault on a female on a night out in a shop that has CCTV, that's led to him being charged by the police and suspended from his job, then it's probably best not to moan he's not playing because you're not getting results.

Type of shit you saw around Goodwillie all the time. "Yeah it's horrible what he done but we need a goalscorer".

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm just saying if someone like Rooney admits he's been involved in an assault on a female on a night out in a shop that has CCTV, that's led to him being charged by the police and suspended from his job, then it's probably best not to moan he's not playing because you're not getting results.

Type of shit you saw around Goodwillie all the time. "Yeah it's horrible what he done but we need a goalscorer".

WTF

Goodwillie had 3 convictions for assault & a civil case which had him guilty of rape - which a subsequent appeal upheld 

And you are happy to compare him and Rooney as similar  !!!!

If Rooney did anything like Goodwillies catalogue of misdemeanours then he should be chased out the club 

However 

We are not at that stage and for ill informed idiots to come on here and say his case is similar to Goodwillie is very dangerous and f**kin unhelpful  

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Assault can form a wide range from verbal to physical to racial to sexual. 

We simply do not know the circumstances. Innocent until proven guilty. 

Fans have every reason to question his availability. 

There is not a supporter out there who would stand by a player if they are found guilty of a serious assault. 

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That is a terrible comparison. Assault covers a multitude of sins. It could be as minor as throwing his chips at someone to a full on battering (no pun intended). Neither of these come close to the rape case you are using as a comparison. 

At the moment he is rightly suspended, let's see the actual misdemeanor and see how he pleads then decisions can be made.

Yeah I'm not directly comparing Rooney and Goodwillie, but this "innocent until proven guilty/we need good players playing" mindset is eerily similar to the fans of clubs when things were coming out about him.

Hes been charged by the police and suspended by your club over an alleged assault on a female that hes admitted involvement in. I think its just bizarre how many football fans just ignore these things because they don't like seeing their team not winning games.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I'm not directly comparing Rooney and Goodwillie, but this "innocent until proven guilty/we need good players playing" mindset is eerily similar to the fans of clubs when things were coming out about him.

Hes been charged by the police and suspended by your club over an alleged assault on a female that hes admitted involvement in. I think its just bizarre how many football fans just ignore these things because they don't like seeing their team not winning games.

You have zero clue what Rooney has or has not told the club ( that's you just speculating shite ...Again)

Also, there isn't a clamour for fans to play him or for fans to ignore what's happened ( more shite you are spouting again )

You did compare Rooney to Goodwillie but at least you are attempting to backtrack on that ridiculous nonsense 

Considering you aren't a St Mirren fan ( as you called it " your club ")   this incident seems to be overly occupying your mind 

Maybe you should focus on how quickly the club acted in dealing with Rooney and for that St Mirren should be applauded. 👏👏 

24 minutes ago, CH01 said:

You have zero clue what Rooney has or has not told the club ( that's you just speculating shite ...Again)

Also, there isn't a clamour for fans to play him or for fans to ignore what's happened ( more shite you are spouting again )

You did compare Rooney to Goodwillie but at least you are attempting to backtrack on that ridiculous nonsense 

Considering you aren't a St Mirren fan ( as you called it " your club ")   this incident seems to be overly occupying your mind 

Maybe you should focus on how quickly the club acted in dealing with Rooney and for that St Mirren should be applauded. 👏👏 

St Mirren have done really well dealing with Rooney, its your fans who are on here almost weekly now getting frustrated hes not playing that I'm questioning.

Your clubs statement on it says he admitted he was involved in the incident that the police have clarified was an assault on a woman and a "hate crime" against an 18yo male.

Just because its your club involved doesn't mean you have to pretend its all good.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren have done really well dealing with Rooney, its your fans who are on here almost weekly now getting frustrated hes not playing that I'm questioning.

Your clubs statement on it says he admitted he was involved in the incident that the police have clarified was an assault on a woman and a "hate crime" against an 18yo male.

Just because its your club involved doesn't mean you have to pretend its all good.

Jog on Son 

This is a family club and we pride ourselves on that 

" Fans on here almost weekly getting frustrated " 

🤦🤦

Not sure which rag tag mob you support but I can say this forum has in no way had an outcry to the way Rooney has been dealt with and fans are not posting in their droves saying he should be playing just  because we lost to a shitty Dundee Utd 

Funny thing is - you crawled on here after a poster simply asked what the current position was with Rooney 

You then called their morals into question - had you even bothered to read a few posts back that same poster was one of the first to say Rooney should be sacked 

So, on your brief foray in here you have proved to be both  uneducated and idiotic 

Bravo 👏👏👏 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

As soon as the news came out that he was arrested for an assault on a woman, I think the majority of St Mirren supporters would have had no issue with the club binning him off straightaway. I know Twitter and P&B aren't exactly a good barometer but overall the feeling was, and remains, that if he is found guilty (which you would imagine he could well, considering he's admitted some form of involvement) then we won't see him playing for the club again. 

Of course, you are going to get a few minters that think he should still be playing – it would be the same at every club – but the vast majority clearly understand that due process has to be followed. In any form of work, especially in the public eye, then you would be suspended until the matter is investigated by the authorities and ultimately come to a conclusion. Rooney is no different.

It has to be said, on recent performances, we are crying out for Rooney or a Rooney type player. But that by no means, means that Shaun Rooney should be playing – far from it.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Beep, beep, beep, reversing........