The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

8 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Think of the worst player that's ever played for St Mirren then multiply his shitness by Shankland and you're halfway to how bad Reilly is. 

Edit: what's equally as depressing from our point of view is we'll probably sign Shankland. 

Whilst it may work out and it may not, the fact that we've given him a year and are still looking for another forward suggests that this signing isn't a massive risk. If he's good then it's a masterstroke by JR given how poorly his previous club rate him. If not then we cut our losses at the end of the season and move on.

Hopefully the fact he's worked with James Fowler will be a spur for the lad although I appreciate that this was also the case with Alan Johnston.

Thankfully, Fowler and Ross have both proven they are in no way sentimental, binning their respective POTYs from their previous clubs (Kyle Hutton and Scott Gallacher respectively) pretty sharpish last season when it was evident they weren't up to it. 

It's hard to say what Reilly is like as a player as he looked so lost and contributed so little. If you took any random punter from the crowd, fed them half a litre of gin and some sleeping tablets, blindfolded them, handed them a striker's shirt and sent them out in your starting 11 that's about the standard you can look forward to. 

8 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It's hard to say what Reilly is like as a player as he looked so lost and contributed so little. If you took any random punter from the crowd, fed them half a litre of gin and some sleeping tablets, blindfolded them, handed them a striker's shirt and sent them out in your starting 11 that's about the standard you can look forward to. 

He's 100% scoring against Dunfermline now :lol:

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's 100% scoring against Dunfermline now :lol:

Of course he will. I'd expect him to score against us within about 10 seconds of our first meeting.  He's had a good rest for the last year so should be raring to go. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How do you a score a sitter? It's only a sitter if he misses.

Not sure I agree with that. You can be presented with a sitter, which you either score, or, if you're Chris Iwelumo, you miss.

Hence 'missed a sitter'.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure I agree with that. You can be presented with a sitter, which you either score, or, if you're Chris Iwelumo, you miss.

Hence 'missed a sitter'.

Google agrees with me:

Sitter: A really easy chance, usually in front of goal that a player then misses.

I've literally never heard anyone say "he scored a sitter".

If a sitter meant a missed chance then the word 'missed' would be entirely unnecessary in the phrase "missed a sitter". Wiktionary defines it as "a very easy scoring chance". I agree that it's pretty uncommon to hear/use unless someone misses an easy chance though.

Gavin Reilly - it's a bit of a "mibbes aye, mibbes naw" signing but that's the market we're in.

Mibbes aye would do me - the last time we were promoted from this division we had a Reilly in the squad so I'm taking it as a good omen! :thumsup2

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

I don't think Reilly ever exerted himself enough to get into a position where he could miss a sitter. Fluffed a couple of penalties but mainly stood about looking lost. 

You and a few other Dumpfermline supporters really seem obsessed with the guy has he upset you? :lol:

Edited to say, good luck to him at St Mirren, just not against us.

Edited by Hawk

4 minutes ago, Hawk said:

You and a few other Dumpfermline supporters really seem obsessed with the guy has he upset you? :lol:

Edited to say, good luck to him at St Mirren, just not against us.

Hawk, I have said often enough that he can probably do a job elsewhere but it didn't happen for us. Look at El Bak at Dundee. Hasn't really done much up there but try telling any Pars fans he's not a fantastic player. 

Also, St Mirren fans.. meet Hawk. Hawk... meet St Mirren. Hawk comes free with each Gavin Reilly that you sign. 

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Bizarre giving the managerial situation! Maybe we are trying to get extra cash together for Loy! 

Maybe that's it. Could we let them keep the gate receipts in lieu of a transfer fee? Not sure how (if) that'd work. And it wouldn't be very much, tbf. Probably muster £10k, at an absolute max.