The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 14/06/2017 at 10:38, flyingscot said:

Yes but the compensation for lower age groups is reduced, the bulk of compensation comes from 15+ years. I think it is something like £45,000 a year. 

Charlie Telfer was £180K since age 12. Wouldn't surprise me if Morgan was £100k?

It's nothing like £45k per year. The Falkirk fans are forever repeating this mantra too about there being a formula approach to valuation of compensation fees. There is no such thing, albeit it is far more formulaic on a cross Border FIFA tribunal. There's much more to it than a simple how long as he been here at £x per season though. It depends how much you can prove you've actually invested in his development, what you pay him at the moment, what his new club are offering, what alternative contract you've offered, how many first team games he's played, etc, etc, etc.

Suffice it to say that whilst I've no doubt St Mirren invest very well in their youth system I sincerely doubt you'll be able to justify anything like the sort of cost investment that Rangers could do with Charlie Telfer.

On a cross Border tribunal, the level of the club and the national coefficient of their country comes into it. An English Championship or especially Premiership club signing an out of contract player gets you into Mark Stewart levels of stupidity as Bradford City found out to their cost.

See Aaron Mooy is going to Huddersfield today for £10m, a guy we let go for nothing after spending over a year warming the bench.

Mental stuff, always thought he deserved a chance with us rather than a handful of starts and some late sub appearances.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's nothing like £45k per year. The Falkirk fans are forever repeating this mantra too about there being a formula approach to valuation of compensation fees. There is no such thing, albeit it is far more formulaic on a cross Border FIFA tribunal. There's much more to it than a simple how long as he been here at £x per season though. It depends how much you can prove you've actually invested in his development, what you pay him at the moment, what his new club are offering, what alternative contract you've offered, how many first team games he's played, etc, etc, etc.

Suffice it to say that whilst I've no doubt St Mirren invest very well in their youth system I sincerely doubt you'll be able to justify anything like the sort of cost investment that Rangers could do with Charlie Telfer.

On a cross Border tribunal, the level of the club and the national coefficient of their country comes into it. An English Championship or especially Premiership club signing an out of contract player gets you into Mark Stewart levels of stupidity as Bradford City found out to their cost.

The real question is, why would Rangers be due a cut of any future fee when it's clear that they released him and we signed him on a free transfer?

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

See Aaron Mooy is going to Huddersfield today for £10m, a guy we let go for nothing after spending over a year warming the bench.

Mental stuff, always thought he deserved a chance with us rather than a handful of starts and some late sub appearances.

To be fair he was only 21 when he was with us, he has said himself he was homesick and although he didn't play alot he learned alot from his time at St Mirren. He then went back to Australia for 4 years and obviously developed as a player before Man City picked him up.

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

To be fair he was only 21 when he was with us, he has said himself he was homesick and although he didn't play alot he learned alot from his time at St Mirren. He then went back to Australia for 4 years and obviously developed as a player before Man City picked him up.

Agreed. But anyone who say him play always knew there was a player in there, homesick I can understand but he's definitely one that got away.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He was behind Gowser in the pecking order, and Gowser was better. 

You only need to see the way he put that goal away against the dead club to know there was a hell of a player in there somewhere, though. (Edit: just seen you've posted that near word for word while I was making the gif! )

f**k it, any excuse...

qjNn3k.gif 

Edited by Coventry Saint

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

You only need to see the way he put that goal away against the dead club to know there was a hell of a player in there somewhere, though.

f**k it, any excuse...

qjNn3k.gif 

Not really the same sort of player as Gowser though. His competition for midfield places was Stevie Thomson, Shuggie Murray, Jim Goodwin and Kenny McLean. 

Perhaps controversial but by the 2011/12 season he should certainly have been in the midfield ahead of Shuggie who was more of less a spent force by that point.

That goal though...always forget how much work he done to get that opportunity to get a dig away and it wasn't just a case of him lashing it.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

You only need to see the way he put that goal away against the dead club to know there was a hell of a player in there somewhere, though. (Edit: just seen you've posted that near word for word while I was making the gif! )

f**k it, any excuse...

qjNn3k.gif 

can I spend all my likes on this

According to a poster on BAWA ourselves and Bolton are due a 0.5% cut of Mooy's transfer fee for every full season he was registered up to 21.

If that's true then he was with us for one full season and it's an unexpected £50k for us, not a lot, granted but potentially the difference of another player coming in.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

According to a poster on BAWA ourselves and Bolton are due a 0.5% cut of Mooy's transfer fee for every full season he was registered up to 21.

If that's true then he was with us for one full season and it's an unexpected £50k for us, not a lot, granted but potentially the difference of another player coming in.

Not sure thats true. If it was a cross border transfer within contract then various small percentages would be due to all clubs registered to between 14 and 21 skewed towards the later years but it doesnt apply to domestic transfers within Scotland. Perhaps it does apply to domestic English ones though? Not sure, never dealt with one.