The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

25 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Yup. Me too. I know friends who went to the away leg and apparently the locals got a bit upset when Saints knocked them out in extra time as Bolton thought they would go through on away goals scored but the rules of the tournament said otherwise.
Bottles, bricks etc thrown our fans direction.😂 I’m sure it was discussed online a while back. 

Fcuk Bolton and Fat Sam!

I was on the receiving end of said bricks and bottles at the old brunden park stadium. It was so bad  we all had to run back to the top of the terracing wall and crouch down to avoid the onslaught. One or two folk got nasty head wounds. 
Was worth it though, Jimmy Bones diving header to win in the last min of extra time remains one of my best memories from back in the day.:thumsup2

24 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

So really why don’t the club clear up what the deal is? Is the v poor 275 k or is it better . We aren’t going to be signing Ronaldo so if we’re getting another 100k let the fans know. Or maybe it is 250k and another terrible deal like the many gone before 

Cause we don't want other clubs we may sign players from or players we want to sign to think we are loaded with dosh.

How do you not get that?

For the millionth time.

No football club in the world discloses fees just because fans think they deserve to know how much players have been sold for. It’s genuinely daft to suggest we should tell the world how much money we’re working with when it comes to transfers.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

O'Hara to Celtic is genuinely one of the dumbest, most ridiculous, rumours ive ever heard.

Genuinely so ridiculous im now half believing it as nobody would be stupid enough to make it up.

Yesterday I saw people claiming Carson was signing for both Dundee AND Dundee United.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yesterday I saw people claiming Carson was signing for both Dundee AND Dundee United.

Ah but that's Fake News - why would he go so low.

But loads of suitors appearing for Tanser and Brophy... Two of our biggest assets. ❤️ 

40 minutes ago, SS77 said:

For the millionth time.

No football club in the world discloses fees just because fans think they deserve to know how much players have been sold for. It’s genuinely daft to suggest we should tell the world how much money we’re working with when it comes to transfers.

Agreed. Times have changed.

Although at the elite level there is still a bit of posturing going on between the rich club owners.

Some of us are old enough to remember when clubs did publicly announce transfer deals.

At one stage St Mirren held the Scottish transfer record between two Scottish clubs when we beat Celtic to the signature of Frank McDougall from Clydebank for £180,000. This was the same summer we signed Doug Somner for £100,000 from Partick Thistle. Could you imagine the outcry if we were signing a player who only trained two nights a week with us for £100,000? Yet he was a fcuking legend! 

Sometimes clubs had to go through a tribunal to get a fee agreed by an “independent” body. 
Our worst experience of this was with Fraser Wishart who ended up costing us £285,000. Fcuk!!!!

To think that we had two excellent forwards costing less than a full back a few years later is mind boggling. Motherwell got the sale of the century there!

https://cairterscorner.com/statistics/transfer-fees-paid/

Our best transfer flip was signing Ian Ferguson for £64,000 and selling him for what we eventually received was circa £900,000 after certain criteria were hit. 

Don’t think we recovered much cash on some of those players signed in the madness of the late 80s early 90s after selling Fergie when Fitzpatrick and Hay were given huge sums to spend. 

If you scroll down you can see the equivalent 2018 fee in both links. 

https://cairterscorner.com/statistics/transfer-fees-received/

Much of this evidence has been published from club archives. 

Now gies a signing Saints!!!!!

Just not a Josh Heaton type signing!

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I was on the receiving end of said bricks and bottles at the old brunden park stadium. It was so bad  we all had to run back to the top of the terracing wall and crouch down to avoid the onslaught. One or two folk got nasty head wounds. 
Was worth it though, Jimmy Bones diving header to win in the last min of extra time remains one of my best memories from back in the day.:thumsup2

Happy days not. I got a doing at Bolton station that night. I've wished them ill ever since.

Ok so we don’t disclose fees. The fact is we’ve sold an international for what appears to be a low fee. I’m realising our place on the food chain. We are a wee team and that’s pretty much it. Move on I guess and see if we can find a few good players 

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Yup. Me too. I know friends who went to the away leg and apparently the locals got a bit upset when Saints knocked them out in extra time as Bolton thought they would go through on away goals scored but the rules of the tournament said otherwise.
Bottles, bricks etc thrown our fans direction.😂 I’m sure it was discussed online a while back. 

Fcuk Bolton and Fat Sam!

You are correct, me and Glenburn Bud were there, pretty scary for us when we had to split from the Police protected main bunch of Saints fans to get to the car….Leeds fans had went mental the previous weekend at Burnden and the locals seemed to want revenge on somebody.

At the end of the Match when the missiles came we were led onto the track, up the tunnel and out the front door where the locals were waiting across the street but thankfully Police were there.😰

Btw, Bolton had some Team 👏

1 minute ago, meadowroadsaint said:

Btw, Bolton had some Team 👏

Aye but ours was better!

That same season we finished 3rd. Perhaps Hhad we not done so well in the ASC and won it we may have been able to beat Fergie to his first league title with the Dons. We also lost Zico to a leg break in February in the SC replay against Celtic and then just after that we sold Torrance to Hibs who scored a winning goal for his new team against us. Hibs were relegated that season. 
Ifs and buts I know. But what a side we had during that period. Think the squads between 79-85 were desperately unlucky not to win any major domestic honours. 

11 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Ok so we don’t disclose fees. The fact is we’ve sold an international for what appears to be a low fee. I’m realising our place on the food chain. We are a wee team and that’s pretty much it. Move on I guess and see if we can find a few good players 

Read your first two sentences and you might see the issue…..we don’t disclose fees but you’ll believe the rumours because it suits your mindset. I’ve no idea what the fee was, good or bad, but if we end up with anywhere around £500,000 in total that’s a good bit of business for someone we got for nothing,  that no-one had ever heard of and with only a year left on his contract.

Edited by weebud

45 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Aye but ours was better!

That same season we finished 3rd. Perhaps Hhad we not done so well in the ASC and won it we may have been able to beat Fergie to his first league title with the Dons. We also lost Zico to a leg break in February in the SC replay against Celtic and then just after that we sold Torrance to Hibs who scored a winning goal for his new team against us. Hibs were relegated that season. 
Ifs and buts I know. But what a side we had during that period. Think the squads between 79-85 were desperately unlucky not to win any major domestic honours. 

I feel privileged to have seen guys like Frank Worthington, Len Cantello, Big Sam Allardyce, who scored their two goals that night. Along with guys like Neil Whatmore, Bolton had some team and it was a testament as to how good we were to beat them over two legs.

4 hours ago, Molotov said:

Fcuk Bolton and Fat Sam!

So can I put you down as a "maybe"?

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

So let's get a bit of perspective. His transfer will likely pay approx. 10 - 18 % of the wage bill for next season and he played for us for free last season (i.e. we recouped his wages in this sale). He cost us nothing but we got to enjoy him for a season too.

Aye, it could have been more but I'm thinking, let's get more guys like this and we will push on rather than scrimp at the bottom end of the league, on bottom end budgets.

Are we not doing a lot better than we have been in the past 10 years or more?

40 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I feel privileged to have seen guys like Frank Worthington, Len Cantello, Big Sam Allardyce, who scored their two goals that night. Along with guys like Neil Whatmore, Bolton had some team and it was a testament as to how good we were to beat them over two legs.

I remember this and let's be honest - you had some brilliant players - a young Billy Stark, McDougall, Bone etc. - all great players.

23 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I remember this and let's be honest - you had some brilliant players - a young Billy Stark, McDougall, Bone etc. - all great players.

Best team I’ve seen in my 60 years. 
That team could and should have won the league but still they were great times to be a buddie.

Frank Worthington definitely one of my all time favourite players, right up there with the most naturally gifted the games ever produced.

Just now, glenburn bud said:

Best team I’ve seen in my 60 years. 
That team could and should have won the league but still they were great times to be a buddie.

Frank Worthington definitely one of my all time favourite players, right up there with the most naturally gifted the games ever produced.

Look at that list of Bolton players and then think of the Fulham and Bristol City teams we played….just littered with good players and yet we bested them all, what a time to be a Buddie

Just now, weebud said:

Look at that list of Bolton players and then think of the Fulham and Bristol City teams we played….just littered with good players and yet we bested them all, what a time to be a Buddie

The first 20 mins of the Bolton semi final at love street we completely blew them away but as all good sides do, they came back into it. 

The games against Fulham who had George Best were brilliant to watch as well. 

1 hour ago, medals said:

So let's get a bit of perspective. His transfer will likely pay approx. 10 - 18 % of the wage bill for next season and he played for us for free last season (i.e. we recouped his wages in this sale). He cost us nothing but we got to enjoy him for a season too.

Our wages up to June 2022 were £3.5M.

I don’t expect that figure to have dropped in the last financial year.

We hopefully applied and received a FIFA payment under Club Benefits Programme for his time at the World Cup.

“For the first time, clubs will be able to apply digitally through the FIFA Professional Football Landscape platform with approximately USD 10,000 to be received for each one of the days the relevant player remains with his national team during the FIFA World Cup 2022™ and the official preparation period. The compensation will be paid to all clubs for which the footballer has played in the two years prior to the FIFA World Cup 2022.”

He has been a superb signing for us!