The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

52 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Best team I’ve seen in my 60 years. 
That team could and should have won the league but still they were great times to be a buddie.

Frank Worthington definitely one of my all time favourite players, right up there with the most naturally gifted the games ever produced.

So my girlfriend at the time lived in a petrol station in the same village as Frank. We'd been out for the night and at 1 am (Friday) he was leathered and having a slash on one of the pumps - dressed in his usual bootlace tie gear. Think he'd been out with Best who was his drinking buddy.

Next day 3pm he played a blinder and scored a couple. Legend.

52 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The games against Fulham who had George Best were brilliant to watch as well. 

Wasn't the Love St game v Fulham played in conditions similar to last week's Scotland v Georgia game ?

Kinda like waterpolo with football boots ?

Just now, Wilbur said:

Wasn't the Love St game v Fulham played in conditions similar to last week's Scotland v Georgia game ?

Bolton v Zenit St Petersburg - should never have been played but they'd travelled a fair way and forgot their water wings.

We are a wee team who will continue to sign decent players who will play for a year then we will sell them for peanuts as if we keep them we will lose them for nothing. We are likely to see the same thing happen with the excellent Ryan Strain . It’s just who we are I’m being told we need to accept it . Jim Gillespie said on his arrival the days of losing our best players for poor money are over. Now everyone be honest didn’t you expect saints who sold Erahon in Jan for 350k to maybe get a decent fee for a full international with World Cup experience and who still has 12 months left? I did. It’s ok saying we have add ons ? Well we all know add ins often don’t work. I’d prefer cash up front but it seems many are happy to take 250k as “ his form dipped” maybe it did but I think the lad was a talent and one whom we will miss for sure 

Sad thing is guys like Frank would not be “accommodated” in the modern game with the academy system breeding athletes. I actually find the game duller for the lack of characters compared to years gone by. 

Edited by Molotov

So are we even more of a Diddy team than HAMILTON who have sold players for millions .I just don't get it with this shite WE ARE A DIDDY TEAM. we are far from being a Diddy team but we certainly have a Diddy team attitude it's time the people in charge of the club grew a set of balls and tell these suitors for our players to cough up or f**k off.fucking sick off it.

Just now, elvis said:

So are we even more of a Diddy team than HAMILTON who have sold players for millions .I just don't get it with this shite WE ARE A DIDDY TEAM. we are far from being a Diddy team but we certainly have a Diddy team attitude it's time the people in charge of the club grew a set of balls and tell these suitors for our players to cough up or f**k off.fucking sick off it.

Elvis. I think you should apply for the vacant SMISA position on the board and sort these cnuts out.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

We are a wee team who will continue to sign decent players who will play for a year then we will sell them for peanuts as if we keep them we will lose them for nothing. We are likely to see the same thing happen with the excellent Ryan Strain . It’s just who we are I’m being told we need to accept it . Jim Gillespie said on his arrival the days of losing our best players for poor money are over. Now everyone be honest didn’t you expect saints who sold Erahon in Jan for 350k to maybe get a decent fee for a full international with World Cup experience and who still has 12 months left? I did. It’s ok saying we have add ons ? Well we all know add ins often don’t work. I’d prefer cash up front but it seems many are happy to take 250k as “ his form dipped” maybe it did but I think the lad was a talent and one whom we will miss for sure 

You need to use paragraphs

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I read his autobiography which I think was called “One hump or two?”

Perhaps your girlfriend at the time and perhaps even that night was shagged by the Elvis loving dude. 

Sad thing is guys like Frank would not be “accommodated” in the modern game with the academy system breeding athletes. I actually find the game duller for the lack of characters compared to years gone by. 

That girlfriend was particularly fit and was well out of his league but they do have something in common - they both died in 2021.

On a completely unrelated note, I haven't been to Paisley for donkey's years so does anyone remember Zanoni's chippie/cafe? Be amazed if it still exists. One of my mates when I lived in Scotland was Remo Zanoni but I believe he's back in Italy these days.

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

That girlfriend was particularly fit and was well out of his league but they do have something in common - they both died in 2021.

On a completely unrelated note, I haven't been to Paisley for donkey's years so does anyone remember Zanoni's chippie/cafe? Be amazed if it still exists. One of my mates when I lived in Scotland was Remo Zanoni but I believe he's back in Italy these days.

Eh. Never heard of it that chippy but we’ve had a good few Italian family owned chippies down the years in the town.

Edited by Molotov

25 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Eh. Never heard of it that chippy but we’ve had a good few Italian family owned chippies down the years in the town.

As for your girlfriend? Pictures or else we don’t believe you on here!

Draw the line at posting pictures of dead ex girlfriends amigo.

Use your imagination if you're short of wanking material.

Edited by Wanderlust

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

£275K is fucking pathetic.

A current international with a year left on his contract. Played in the World Cup. Mid 20s.

Bolton have went "its only St. Mirren, let's lowball them, see if they roll over and we can tickle their tummy"

St. Mirren

Baby Oops GIF

I notice that we signed this guy a year ago for £0 from Western Sydney Wanderers. I wonder what the Western Sydney Wanderers fans’ forum is like this evening. 

“FFS” they’ll be saying. “He left us for A$0, then signed for a diddy jock team we’ve never heard of, and now they’re selling him for hundreds of thousands of genuine English £s.”

”Strewth Sheila, WT actual F” they’ll now be elaborating. “Our board really is shite”

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It was pouring down that evening.  Five three to the Saints , thinking it was three three at full time .

Frank Worthington also turned out for Leeds at Love Street when we beat them 3-1 in a friendly a few years after the Bolton games.

A fair amount of household names appeared at Love Street during those 1980s friendlies. Guys like Matt Le Tissier, Clive Allen, Martin Keown, David Platt and a whole host of others.

1 minute ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Frank Worthington also turned out for Leeds at Love Street when we beat them 3-1 in a friendly a few years after the Bolton games.

A fair amount of household names appeared at Love Street during those 1980s friendlies. Guys like Matt Le Tissier, Clive Allen, Martin Keown, David Platt and a whole host of others.

Don’t forget the 77 Centenary game against European champions Liverpool. It’s incredible to think that mid season we played this game against Liverpool. 18,000 for a midweek game in December. 🤩 

IMG_2812.thumb.jpeg.21d4a62db2eb9c8cd540dda139b2f5cb.jpeg

In European competitive games during the 70s and 80s we got to see Rep, Larios, Castenada, Roussey, Lopez, Battison, Cruyff, Gullit. Some fans even claimed to see Platini play at Love St 😂 but that never happened - only the away game!

I remember seeing George Best with Fulham and also his debut with Hibs at Love St. He never won in Paisley IIRC….he was 33 by the time he played with Hibs but we saw him younger after he had left Man United. 

IMG_2814.thumb.jpeg.02619a839f72be3232b0ab3fbef08ed0.jpeg