"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

Didn’t we play Deas at left back for two seasons because Harper wasn’t up to it? Many of us on here thought he wouldn’t make it but I, like all of you, am glad that Harper’s kicked on massively and would even say he’s one of our better players now. 

I’m sure I could go back to 2011 and 2012 when Billy Mckay and David Raven made their debuts and I’m sure the comments wouldn’t be overly positive. Players get worse, players get better, that’s how football is. Singling out one or two comments of the general consensus at the time isn’t the “gotcha” that @NorthStand10 thinks it is 

He said Shane Sutherland wasn’t good enough shortly before the season ended, he then won a player of the year award. How long did he want to realise Shane was good? Dreadful shout.

He said Harper was absolutely fucking shite at left back. Absolutely fucking shite to then winning a player of the season award? Dreadful call again.

What’s Deas got to do with thescarf incorrectly calling someone shite? Different seasons too. It also doesn’t mean Harpers absolutely fucking shite, it just means Deas was better.

Give the boys a chance folks. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

8 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

He said Shane Sutherland wasn’t good enough shortly before the season ended, he then won a player of the year award. How long did he want to realise Shane was good? Dreadful shout.

He said Harper was absolutely fucking shite at left back. Absolutely fucking shite to then winning a player of the season award? Dreadful call again.

What’s Deas got to do with thescarf incorrectly calling someone shite? Different seasons too. It also doesn’t mean Harpers absolutely fucking shite, it just means Deas was better.

Yeah, it's almost as if footballers can get better over time isn't it?

11 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

“Shortly before the season ended” the post you quoted was January, don’t know about you but I’d say that’s not shortly before the season ended. 

At the point he posted about Harper being shite, well he wasn’t great at left back. You can see this from Dodds changing to a back 5 in the first leg of the playoff final that he didn’t trust Harper playing left back. Harper went back into playing left back from January onwards last season iirc after periods of playing centre mid or as a number 10.

The Scarf posted saying Harper was shite in September and the player of the year awards are handed out in May, lot of time between those 2 months for someone to improve, wouldn’t you say?

The point about Deas (a centre back) playing left back over Harper (a left back) is that if even the management team who you so love very dearly didn’t rate Harper to play there for 2 seasons then why should the fans think he’s any good/up to it? 

28 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

“Shortly before the season ended” the post you quoted was January, don’t know about you but I’d say that’s not shortly before the season ended. 

At the point he posted about Harper being shite, well he wasn’t great at left back. You can see this from Dodds changing to a back 5 in the first leg of the playoff final that he didn’t trust Harper playing left back. Harper went back into playing left back from January onwards last season iirc after periods of playing centre mid or as a number 10.

The Scarf posted saying Harper was shite in September and the player of the year awards are handed out in May, lot of time between those 2 months for someone to improve, wouldn’t you say?

The point about Deas (a centre back) playing left back over Harper (a left back) is that if even the management team who you so love very dearly didn’t rate Harper to play there for 2 seasons then why should the fans think he’s any good/up to it? 

He's picking dates to suit his point and even then those dates don't back him up.  September and January are definitely, by any definition, not shortly before the end of the season.  

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He's picking dates to suit his point and even then those dates don't back him up.  September and January are definitely, by any definition, shortly before the end of the season.  

We’d been playing for 6 months in regards to Shane. How long did you need to realise he’s good? Like I said, you’re incredibly slow to recognise a good player. Also, was Cameron Harper absolutely fucking shite in September? No. 

Your judgement whether it be initial opinion or longer term is dreadful, proven by your posts. 

I would also like to commend @Central Belt Caley for putting up a good argument. It’s just a real shame @TheScarf always fails to do so. TBF stating Brad McKay was better than Rooney didn’t set you off on the best footing.

2 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

We’d been playing for 6 months in regards to Shane. How long did you need to realise he’s good? Like I said, you’re incredibly slow to recognise a good player. Also, was Cameron Harper absolutely fucking shite in September? No. 

Your judgement whether it be initial opinion or longer term is dreadful, proven by your posts. 

I would also like to commend @Central Belt Caley for putting up a good argument. It’s just a real shame @TheScarf always fails to do so. TBF stating Brad McKay was better than Rooney didn’t set you off on the best footing.

Again, you're not getting that players have the ability to improve over time, and get worse over time.  At the time I made these posts, others, including @Central Belt Caleyagreed, as did the majority on here.  You're taking posts from when players were shite for us and making us lose games, and saying that I'm saying they're still shite now.  Which I haven't done.

Your whole argument is a complete failure.  Of course Sutherland and Harper have improved since they were terrible for us, when I made these remarks.  And I'm happy they have.

There's a prominent poster on here, not a The Caley fan, who does the same thing on Twitter.  Trawls back 5 year to find posts about players who were terrible at the time, that are now doing really well and retweets them as some kind of gotcha.  Naturally he get's slagged for it.

I always liked Shane as a player in his second spell with us but no-one could deny that he improved in the latter part of the 21/22 season though.  Harper was poor as a full back until his run at the position towards the end of last season, I think he's grown into the role.   Playing a bit further forward gave him a chance to get experience in the first team with a bit more protection.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I always liked Shane as a player in his second spell with us but no-one could deny that he improved in the latter part of the 21/22 season though.  Harper was poor as a full back until his run at the position towards the end of last season, I think he's grown into the role.   Playing a bit further forward gave him a chance to get experience in the first team with a bit more protection.

Yeah, they improved didn't they?  Got better.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah, they improved didn't they?  Got better.

Shane Sutherland was arguably our best player at the beginning of 21/22. Then for a couple of months his form dipped along with the team - that’s when you decided he wasn’t good enough and posted. Afterwards he kicked on again.

Don’t act like he was shite up until your post, he wasn’t.

As for Harper we all know he improved. Unfortunately, your post claiming he was absolutely fucking shite 10 months ago was wrong.

2 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

Shane Sutherland was arguably our best player at the beginning of 21/22. Then for a couple of months his form dipped along with the team - that’s when you decided he wasn’t good enough and posted. Afterwards he kicked on again.

Don’t act like he was shite up until your post, he wasn’t.

As for Harper we all know he improved. Unfortunately, your post claiming he was absolutely fucking shite 10 months ago was wrong.

Well, he wasn't was he?  Gardyne was, by a mile.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Well, he wasn't was he?  Gardyne was, by a mile.

It was argued by some, including by someone on the podcast, that SS was one of the best performers early on that season. I think it was Gardyne, but SS was up there. That doesn’t suit your argument he wasn’t good enough, does it?

Edited by Guest

On 20/07/2023 at 22:41, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Last season we finished 6th.

Better teams have entered the Championship than have left it.

Players out so far: Deas, Allardice, Mackay, Henderson

Players in so far: Davidson, Gilmour, Longstaff, Brooks

Anyone feeling confident for this season?

I've made clear my position on Dodds team management capabilities so absolutely no confidence for this season in which I will not be attending much games as long as Dodds remains.

And I'm not alone as I hear ST sales have been poor and probably gate receipts will reflect that. 

On 21/07/2023 at 13:49, TheScarf said:

Again, you're not getting that players have the ability to improve over time, and get worse over time.  At the time I made these posts, others, including @Central Belt Caleyagreed, as did the majority on here.  You're taking posts from when players were shite for us and making us lose games, and saying that I'm saying they're still shite now.  Which I haven't done.

Your whole argument is a complete failure.  Of course Sutherland and Harper have improved since they were terrible for us, when I made these remarks.  And I'm happy they have.

NorthStand just being a c**t for the sake of being a c**t, he defends any criticism of Dodds as he has done eversince he appeared on here a few months back, I'm sure only his feet can be seen now hanging out of Dodds arse.

Despite the white knighting and deflection going on, the sole point at issue is the rank hypocrisy involved in those that use the most coarse language in rapidly coming to an extreme conclusion on young and new players whilst been utterly incapable of taking a bit of probing that cannot possiblity be described as anything other than respectful.

In the vernacular, what a state to get yourself into.

Thank goodness for @SandyCromarty pitching up with his returning comedic post to lighten the mood.

The young lad Brooks could be a good signing for you.

I remember him playing for a local youth side here in Dumbarton & him scoring something crazy like 100+ goals in a season, both old firm arsecheeks were after him & he opted for Celtic as his family felt they had the better youth set up at the time.

Interesting to see if he can make the step up from B team/Lowland level.

Hopefully he does well at ICT, good luck to him.